iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radish time!

Started by Ironmower, March 28, 2009, 07:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

I love this time of year, diggin' up sum horse radish today pull_smiley. kinda sets the pase for spring; maybe look for some "black cappies" too ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Corley5

We haven't done up any horseradish in a long time now.  It's gone wild around the farmhouses.  We used to clean, and grind it on a picnic table in the backyard.  Couldn't do it in the house  ;) ;D  No better way to clear the sinuses that a good whif of the stuff  8) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

Dig? Surely you jest. The DanG ground is still frozed solid. >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ironmower

You guys in the mid-west got hammered this winter eh eh Frozen ground? not here, since early Feb. ;D ;D We have no winters here anymore >:( I'll be mowin' grass next week! ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

dail_h

Ironmower,
  I don't no enuff about WV ta know where Great Cacapon is,but up here ta Craigsville,we had a pretty good shot o winter,had snow on the groung seems like from the first of Nov,till 'bout two weeks ago. Ground,and grass,tops of trucks an stuff was covered yesterday mornin.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ironmower

Where's Craigsville, in WV?.........Seems like we're in a pocket here...I know it snowed like the dikkens about 100 miles west of us, in the higher elevations.... Great Cacapon is in the "skinny" part of the panhandle, Maryland is right across the potomac river, From here I can be in three different states in less than a half hour ;D Md, Pa, & Va ;D...........I wasn't joshin' anybody ;).........The radish tops are about 4" high already ;D......I cried alot saturday grindin' it up :'( well worth it :)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

ohsoloco

Getting ready to dig some up myself in a few days  :)  Couple weeks ago I was out looking for it, but didn't see any (it's usually the first thing to turn green).  Saw lots of it perking up last weekend.

How do you grind yours up, Ironmower?  We've tried a small electric meat/food grinder, but it's painfully slow.  We haven't messed with digging out the big grinder for it.  My dad usually ends up chopping it up in the food processor. 

Last time we were cleaning it I got an idea and grabbed a fish scaler that was in the kitchen drawer.  Took the dirty outer part off, but just enough to clean it up without wasting any like a vegetable peeler would  :)

Ironmower

I wash mine with the pressure washer (used to go to the car wash) cleans them right up ;) As for grindin' I still use a small hand grinder no.1 :'( Can't break all the traditions ;D.........Diggin' more today  help_me pull_smiley........Do you add anything other than white vinagar? And you every noticed that it all taste alittle different, maybe its moisture content or age of it ??? My batch last week was fairly mild :)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

ohsoloco

Yeah, sometimes it's kinda mild, and other time it will take your breath away  ;D  The pressure washer is a good idea.  Do you put it in some kind of a net or basket to keep 'em from taking off  ???  Usually it's just vinegar, but sometimes we put some beets in with them.  Doesn't give it a different flavor really, I think it's just for color.  Can't remember where I heard it, but I thought it had some kind of a religious significance for the Easter season.

dail_h

IM,
   Craigsville is just east of Summersville in Nichlas county. Sorta between Beckley and Elkins. Been snowin since early afternoon yesterday got about 4 ins on the ground,but it's melting pretty fast from the bottom up.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ironmower

dail_h, thats a different world up there, whats your elevation there? My buddy has a camp in Elkins, in deer season he said the snow was knee deep and still snowin' ;)....You fellas sure do make some mighty fine moon shine, I must say smiley_alcoholic_01
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!