iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building mistakes

Started by D._Frederick, March 26, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

reminds me of one of "Pigmans" early signatures on the FF.

" Maker of Furniture fit to be burned. "  :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Cheapest computer program and printing device is my brain, pencil, great big white erasure, scale rulers, triangles, protractor, and home-made ovaler. ;D I'm not selling plans so I don't need a $3000 program to make neat legible drawings that would take two days to draw on a computer and about 2 hours with a pencil. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

I draw it on cardboard with ink along with lists of steps.  (doesn't blow around the shop).  Got two grocery bags of 'em and worth going back through now and then.

Always cut some extra rough stock and plane some extra for "choice".   Why I got a sawmill!

On=the=fly design adjustments are just  showing my "chops"

Finish is like makeup  on a pretty girl.  Enough to do the job but not the end unto itself.

Functionality?  Does it work? That's the true test. 

Mistakes?  Learn from them. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

logwalker

An expert woodworker hides his mistakes and an amateur woodworker points his out to you.  ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Modat22

Most of my mistakes are caused by printing needed dimensions on a scrap of wood, then using that scrap of wood in the project and loosing the dimensions.... :(
remember man that thy are dust.

CHARLIE

I do a lot of my figurateing on scraps of wood. I get into trouble when I grab a piece of wood and by accident use the figurateing that was written on it from a different project. Then I cover it up by re-engineering the project and telling everyone that is how it was designed to be.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Larry

Well...I do make a story pole most times.  I should check it before cutting out my parts. ;)  D. had a good suggestion about buying a calculator that does fractions so I had Kathy buy me one on her last Walmart trip.  I suppose due to inflation it is now something like $15. ???  And TI left the = sign off my machine. ::)  After reading the manual for half a day I just about have it figured out.

Now if only I can remember to add 3/4" to my rails for the tongue. >:(

I went to a seminar today where a master carpenter was teaching tricks of the trade to trim a house...he had 42...but admitted some of his finest work was thought up while trying to cover up a mistake. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ljmathias

Care to share the "42" tricks of the trade that weren't fix-ups?  I've only finished out a couple of houses myself (strictly amateur- one for me, one for the neighbor) but would love to learn how to be more efficient, faster, cleaner- all the things a real master at trim-outs must be to compete today.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Larry

I could of used some of that more efficient, faster, cleaner, help also but the thrust of the seminar was design.  How to turn a plain jane into something that gives a high end impression by using stock moulding.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ljmathias

Oh, well, maybe you can just settle for selling to the rich and well-to-do (are they buying?).  Seems like everyone is downsizing especially price these days.  I think the golden days have done passed us by...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Handy Andy

When I built houses, I figured on correcting the last error I made in the next step.  And if I didn't forget I could usually take care of it.  A little harder on a piece of furniture.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

WDH

I made a walnut paddle this weekend for a friend as a deterrent to misbehavior for her 4 year old.  Turned out beautiful until I went and drilled the hole (to hang it by the handle) off-center.  Well, at least you can tell it was hand-made, not machine-made :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Can ya turn it into a cat litter box fork? Don't ask. ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironmower

Quote from: D._Frederick on March 31, 2009, 01:06:00 PM
Larry,

Texas Instrument has a $10 calculator that will do fractions, I always use  it to check my lay-outs before cutting any wood. It cuts down on stove fuel.
Calculated Industries Also makes handy calculators,     They'll do fractions(too 1/16"), stairs & many other functions. Mines a construction master 5, I've had it for over 5 years. It's very tough, I take it on all my jobs, even the fine steel dust from grindin' & weldin' don't effect it. I payed $50.00 for it then ;) ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

CHARLIE

WDH, here is how I'd fix an off centered hole.
1) Plug the hole with a temporary plug.
2) Redrill a centered hole larger than the one you originally drilled (example: 1/2 inch).
3) Glue in a plug of contrasting wood (maple?)
4) Redrill a centered hole that is 1/16 inch smaller (example: 7/16 inch)
5) Glue in a plug of walnut. 
6) Redrill a centered 3/8 inch hole.

The end result is a narrow banded circle of maple surrounded on both sides by walnut. Exactly how you intended it to be in the first place. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ljmathias

Charlie: why all caps?  Hit the wrong key?

Very ingenius way to fix an off-center hole and I applaud anyone who would spend that much effort fixing a so-called mistake.  I firmly believe such mistakes are gifts from God to remind us how imperfect we are as human beings- makes me pay attention better on the next thing I do.  I almost never fix such a mistake- why not share that gift with others?  More to the point, my attention span doesn't go that long- I'd rather do something else more fun...

Lj

WDH

After I got over being pithed off, I got used to it  :D.  Thanks for the tips  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CHARLIE

It doesn't show up as all caps on my screen.

If I can fix a mistake, I usually do.  Sometimes I'll just stomp on it so it can't be fixed.
Charlie

SwampDonkey

Quote from: CHARLIE on April 23, 2009, 12:19:37 AM
If I can fix a mistake, I usually do.  Sometimes I'll just stomp on it so it can't be fixed.

;D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!