iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building mistakes

Started by D._Frederick, March 26, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

When you guys are building something for the first time , do you build a proto model, or do you make a lot of extra parts and throw the defects away?  How much tooling do you make to get better  quality components?  Are you doing design on the computer?

Sprucegum

I have built lots of mistakes  :-X

My woodworking skill aren't that good but they still far outweigh my computer skills so no fancy plans for me. I make one drawing on a single sheet of paper and start cutting. If I think I might build more than one I will try to make some jigs. I get just as much fun out of figuring out the jigs as I do out of building the project.

CHARLIE

I don't know what you mean by mistake.  I've never made a mistake when building something.  I have changed the design a lot while I build it and sometimes I build something different than what I started but I've never made a mistake. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pigman

I mostly build mistakes and put them in the stove. My shop stays hot most of the time.  The only time I built a prototype was when I had to build some chairs for the first time. When I first started building furniture  mistakes I did detailed drawings, now I just put down some rough measurmenst and build away. When I make extra parts I don't need them. When I don't make extra parts I have one with a major defect and have to spend an extra hour cutting a new part.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

chet

I'm with Charlie....... :)   I make improvements in the design flaws that were inherent in the original plan.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

I like that Chet. You have a way of saying exactly what I meant but only used half the words. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

Dat's 'cause I'm a real slow typer.   :-\  I gotta say what I mean quick. If I try ta type too much I furgit what I was try'in ta say while I was................DanG.   smiley_headscratch
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Dan_Shade

I don't make mistakes in woodworking, I just make identification marks
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironmower

If ya ain't makin' mistakes, ya ain't learnin' thats what I'z told ;D..... Plains & drawings are great, specially if can't picture it in your head......Still prefer to doit the hardway, that way you can tell everybody thats the way its supposed too be smiley_thumbsup_grin
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

chet

I always told my kids dat plans were just some other dudes interpretation of what we was really gonna build.  :D

pineywoods

Plans?  what plans? I might draw some after I finish the project so I can come back later and figure out how I did it.  Even then I still make misteaksmistakes
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

Most of my buddies here have a wood stove in there shop , most work in there shop during winter , most need wood for said stove , there for need make mistakes to justify the burning of said evidence mistakes ,creating heat to be able to concentrate better for the next mistake project to be done about the time the stove goes low .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

i "over-tapered" a table leg today.  I'm fixing it by glueing a piece back onto it.

It will aggrivate me for years when I look at it, but i'm doing it anyways to remind me to not get in a hurry.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fbelknap

Over coming mistakes is half the job.

WDH

I usually do a drawing to scale.  That way I can see proportions and perspective.  Drawing it helps you to visualize all the pieces and parts.  At night, instead of counting sheep, I mentally go over how I am going to build a project.  For me, thinking it through first is better than just jumping in and cutting wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chet

A true craftsman is one who can adapt on da fly.  :) 

Translation: (one who can hide boo-boo's)  ;D

ljmathias

In my line of work, "mistakes" often lead to the most interesting discoveries and innovations.  I teach my students to look for the unexpected, try to understand why it happened and figure out whether it's useful or not.  In making furniture and buildings, I often "innovate" in unexpected ways, and every once in a while, it works out better than what I had planned to do. :-* :-*

Having said that by way of excusing my ADHD approach to doing things, I like to think of working with wood like a saying I once heard- it's not the destination so much as the joy of the journey.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WILDSAWMILL

i have been known to make a nother or simaler project just a little smaller with the mistakes of cut too short
Kascosaw2B

metalspinner

I rarely make extra parts.  But when I need that extra part it is frustrating to start over from rough lumber.  It is really frustrating if my original parts are matched in grain, figure, etc. >:(  Some mistakes are inconsequential to the over all design.  Like a table apron cut an 1/8" to narrow or short - so long as it matches the others.  But an 1/8" wrong in other places may need a do-over.

Usually, the furniture I make is from my "Design on the Fly" series. So nobody really knows what the piece is supposed to look like, anyway. ::)  For some reason, I need to see - rather feel - the wood and lay things out in three dimensions to wrap the idea around my mind.  Other than a very brief sketch on a scrap of paper to get a materials list, I move right to the lumber.  That is the single best reason I'm lugging logs around town and expending all the effort in milling and drying my own wood.  If a major mistake is made in design or execution, it is not an expensive one.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Most of my mistakes end up as cutting boards for Jeff to occupy his time  ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Larry

I get in trouble building kitchen cabinets.  Say the space that needs to be filled is 47-5/8".  In this space I want 3 doors...divide 3 into 47-5/8" and it gets quite complicated with little fractions.

Maybe a computer program where I could input the space to be filled, face frame size, overlay, rail/style size, than the PC spits out the raised panel size along with dimensions for the face frame.  Anybody know if something like that exists?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

you could make an excel file to do that sort of thing for you.

do you use story sticks? or a tape measure?

pineywoods

Larry there is such a program. It's called autocad. Bring $$$$ and be prepared for a steep learning curve...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

D._Frederick

Larry,

Texas Instrument has a $10 calculator that will do fractions, I always use  it to check my lay-outs before cutting any wood. It cuts down on stove fuel.

Don_Papenburg

I have a friend in MUnising that has been a woodworker all his life .He does a lot of high end stairs and victorian woodwork . He said that many of his interesting design elements are jus devices to cover up lastminute screwups.  We call them  CASTs  (Creative A$$ Saving Tecniques)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!