Sponsors:

Texas, my Texas

Started by Texas Ranger, March 25, 2009, 03:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Texas is second to Alaska in acres of forest land
By JACKIE STONE Associated Press Writers © 2009 The Associated Press
March 25, 2009, 12:17PM

AUSTIN, Texas — The first detailed statewide tree count in Texas history is headed toward this conclusion: Texas is No. 2.

The Texas Forest Service said Wednesday initial results of the first inventory outside East Texas indicate that the state has 60 million acres of forest land. That ranks second to Alaska and is about 23 percent of the forestation in the southern U.S.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6340851.html
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Are they counting sage and pucker brush?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

And all this time, we did not even think those Texans could count past ten without taking their boots off.  ::)

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Gary_C on March 25, 2009, 05:57:00 PM
And all this time, we did not even think those Texans could count past ten without taking their boots off.  ::)

:D :D :D
Wow...This is a tough place...When yer from Texas anyway  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Gary_C

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 25, 2009, 06:40:26 PM
Wow...This is a tough place...When yer from Texas anyway  :D  :D  :D

Ya, that tough old Texan will have something to say back I'm sure, might take him a while though.  :D :D :D

WDH

Everything is bigger in Texas, even the estimate of forestland :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Here is the real data compiled by non-texans.

If Texas jumped from 27 to 2 in 5 years, they are counting sage and Pucker brush.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/geo_lan_acr_tot_for_lan-blah&nocache

Source of Data: 2004 National Association of State Foresters.

Rank        States       Amount    
#1      Alaska:    127.38 million acres     
#2      Oregon:    28.836 million acres     
#3      Georgia:    24.4 million acres     
#4      California:    23.7 million acres     
#5      Idaho:    23.5 million acres     
#6      Alabama:    22.991 million acres     
#7      Montana:    22.5 million acres     
#8      Colorado:    21.637 million acres     
#9      Washington:    21.3 million acres     
#10      Michigan:    19.3 million acres     
#11      Mississippi:    18.605 million acres     
#12      New York:    18.4 million acres     
#13      North Carolina:    18.269 million acres     
#14      New Mexico:    16.68 million acres     
#15      Pennsylvania:    16.585 million acres     
#16      Minnesota:    16.23 million acres     
#17      Wisconsin:    15.965 million acres     
#18      Virginia:    15.844 million acres     
#19      Utah:    15.173 million acres     
#20      Missouri:    15.01 million acres     
#21      Florida:    14.7 million acres     
#22      Tennessee:    14.404 million acres     
#23      Louisiana:    14.017 million acres     
#24      South Carolina:    12.415 million acres     
#25      West Virginia:    12.001 million acres     
#26      Kentucky:    11.931 million acres     
#27      Texas:    11.879 million acres     
#28      Wyoming:    10.995 million acres     
#29      Nevada:    9.767 million acres     
#30      Oklahoma:    7.665 million acres     
#31      New Hampshire:    4.824 million acres     
#32      Vermont:    4.628 million acres     
#33      Indiana:    4.554 million acres     
#34      Massachusetts:    3.13 million acres     
#35      Iowa:    2.7 million acres     
#36      Maryland:    2.566 million acres     
#37      Kansas:    2.226 million acres     
#38      New Jersey:    1.876 million acres     
#39      Connecticut:    1.859 million acres     
#40      South Dakota:    1.62 million acres     
#41      Nebraska:    1.275 million acres     
#42      North Dakota:    0.673 million acres     
#43      Rhode Island:    0.393 million acres     
#44      Delaware:    0.383 million acres     
   Total:    654.786 million acres      

Tom

Alaska almost pulled off the Second Place position, but Texas edged them out.

Mooseherder

They left my beloved State of Maine off the statistics? :-\

Woodwalker

If they had counted before Hurricane Ike, kinda think it would have been closer.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

WDH

Man, I am going to have to check out that pucker brush.  That is a species that I am not familiar with  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Woodworth

What are the different trees you have growing there?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Jeff

Puckerbrush:

"The word "puckerbrush" usually describes an area of land that is mostly composed of scrub-brush. Often land formerly used in farming, left neglected, becomes a thriving place for invasive species such as poison ivy, sumac, and buckthorn.

A second meaning of the word describes any incidence when a person is lost, or away from their normal understanding.  It can describe a real, or imagined place.  [For example, "He is out in the puckerbrush."]"

singlejacker

texas is funny,drove thru there once and saw about a hundred log load, full trees on the bunks,un topped,*DanG near draggin the road.lmao.

Ironwood

I certainly love Texas, it's variety and stark beauty and vastness. I have driven a good bit over the years w/ troubled teen camp (alot like Outward Bound). I have driven East to West, North to South across North America (Pa. to Mexico City 4 times, adventure!) and I do love Texas, especially West Texas. I would agree w/ Jeff, unless they are counting bush, and brush that statistic has GOT to be wrong. Sorry Texas Ranger, great state, bad data.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WH_Conley

I remember about the Texan that died and they couldn't find a coffin to fit.

Aw, never mind. :D :D
Bill

Texas Ranger

Gentlemen, read the report.  They call the species of the stands, not my call, but hey, they are trees in that part of a state that is 600 mile across, not like your, uh, stubby, states.

Why, we even have Georgia foresters coming out here to see trees. ::)

A little Pinus envy, perhaps.

Jeff

Quotethey are trees in that part of a state that is 600 mile across

I knew it was a Texas Big thing. Now he's gone and said in his best broken taxicanian that they got trees 6 miles across. What is that in DBH? ;)

Cedarman

Our experience in Oklahoma brings home the question of just what is forest land.  We are cutting stands of cedar  that have hundreds of trees that are 5 to 10" dbh per acre.  40   or 50 years ago they were harvesting cotton off this land. You wouldn't believe all the water bars across these lands.   Is this foest land or not?  After we are done, it is not.  They want to make it pasture again. 

The Arbuckle mountains in southern Oklahoma were completely pasture 60 years ago.  Now you can't walk through it for the Ashe Juniper.  Is this forested ground?  These things have about 6 to 8 stems coming out of the ground and growing about 20 to 25 feet tall from each trunk.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Lud

Ohio doesn't have any trees?   What have I been cutting? :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

pineywoods

Well now I'll have to to defend my western neighbor a bit, but I do question that #1 rating. They are undoubtedly counting blackjack scrub and mesquite as trees, there aren't any TREES west of dallas. except a few cottonwoods along the creeks. East texas is a different story. Nick-named the big thicket, there's some of the finest pine timber in the world. They even have their own forestry school, and a Dang good one at that. But more timberland than Alaska ? no way
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gary_C

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 26, 2009, 01:53:29 AM

A little Pinus

Tex, now you've gone and insulted those fine Georgia foresters.  :)

Texas Ranger

Uh, Jeff, a state that is 600 mile across.  Trees are a little smaller.

Jeff

Ya never know, coming from a Texacan, when he's talking about size, how to take it. ;)

Sprucegum

:P Alberta - 98.56 million acres of forest  :o

8) I just had to throw THAT in.  :D  :D

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 26, 2009, 02:42:29 PM
  :P Alberta - 98.56 million acres of forest  :o

8) I just had to throw THAT in.  :D  :D

That's because it grows faster than it can be harvested;  It takes a lot longer for frozen lumberjacks to cut down frozen trees.   :-\  :)

This thread is great fun for Texans. We get a whole lot more entertainment out of it than the non Texans. Growing up as a Texan, it becomes second nature at an early age to be able to discern the two types of non Texans; those who are just having fun, and those who can't stand NOT being Texan.

Don't worry, we won't call you out in public ~ you know who you are.  ;D

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

I to was wondering where Maine fits in. Someone once said, the US forgot about Maine. You could group quite few of those NE states inside Maine's borders. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quoteand those who can't stand NOT being Texan.

Are you turnin this into a "who is it" thread?  I hain't ever seen one of these 2nd types.

8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Private woodlots here in NB alone comprise more than #31 on the list, that's about 30 % of the woods in NB.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 26, 2009, 01:53:29 AM

A little Pinus envy, perhaps.

Yes, quite a bit of pinus envy. 

barbender

I liked the joke about the Alaska legislature voting to split Alaska in half so that Texas would have to be 3rd biggest :D
Too many irons in the fire

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Texas Ranger

Yeah, and when global warming really cuts in, Alaska will be smaller than Rhode Island 8)

Gary_C

And Texas will truly be TOAST.   :D :D

ARKANSAWYER

They did not even have Arkansas on the list.  We have about 19 million acres of forest land and some very fine trees at that. 
  If we were to count the cotton plants (which are taller then most Texas trees) we would be #2.  But then Norm would want to count them corn stalks in Iowa.
ARKANSAWYER

stonebroke

I wonder how that list would look if you ranked on the value of timber?

Stonebroke

TexasTimbers

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on March 28, 2009, 11:00:33 AM
If we were to count the cotton plants (which are taller then most Texas trees) . . . . .

C'mon Arky, you know Texas has the biggest small trees in the union. :D

Texas Ranger

The timber counties in Texas account for about 72,000,000  acres.  Of course, ya got to take out cities, lakes, etc, from that.

TexasTimbers

During the war, there were times the Rebs and Yanks would take a break from killing each other and trade tobacco for coffee and what not (of course the Yanks always wanted to trade for grits but most Rebs were unwilling to trade those :) ) Usually the truces were small numbers of men, unofficial, and spontaneous. The meetings are described in letters to home from soldiers on both sides, and most of the truces began quite tentatively as you might imagine.

But the distrust usually melted pretty quick. One of my many WBTS books has a photocopy of a letter I remember in particular; it's from a Yank who recounts to his parents such a meeting with the Rebs ~ his first exposure to southerners.  In it, he described how the enemy he had been fighting for so long,  was nothing like he had imagined. He had described his hatred for the south, after all the carnage he had witnessed and hardship he had endured, and the description soon evolved into a description of how this hatred had seemed to vanish and he had not even realized it.

One of the southerners had a banjo, one of the Yanks had a harmonica, and the way he described the singing and music they made well into the night would bring a lump to anyone's throat. They also prayed together over a meal (the description of the meal alone was interesting to read), and before they parted to take up the sword against each other the next morning, they bid each other Godspeed; each expressing to their hopes that they might survive the war and not meet again during it.

So let's take a break and listen to some good banjo music and look at some pretty southern countryside. Then we can go back to belittling the south in general, and Texas in particluar. ;D

Truce

Each photo has a location description on the lower right in white text. I didn't notice it until halfway through so just giving you a heads up.

stonebroke

I don't mean to belittle Texas. I will praise Texas.Particularity the pioneering oil industry that has lead to horizontal drilling and fracing in the Barnett Shale field. These advances will make a lot of Yankees in the Marcellus Field very properous. So as a northener I salute Texans. But I still think we can grow better trees.

Stonebroke

LeeB

Stonebroke, I may be wrong, but i think fraccing actual started in the Giddings field in the Austin Chalk.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ARKANSAWYER

Being a native born Texan I have to be kind to my brothers.  But them boys sure do need a 10 gallon hat for them big heads. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

Hey now, I think I resemble that remark.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on March 28, 2009, 07:33:51 PM
  Being a native born Texan I have to be kind to my brothers.  But them boys sure do need a 10 gallon hat for them big heads. ;D

I hear ya. But I think the majority of the loud-mouths are the ones who were not born and bred here. the vast majority of natives that I know are soft spoken men who do much more than they talk about.  I think that's true everywhere though.

stonebroke y'all got some good timber for sure. The way the market is up there I wonder if harvesting will slow down or increase over the next decade or two? If it slows, you're going to have even more timber.

Now that TR has let the cat out of the bag I suppose the world will beat a path to our doorstep to harvest all this secret timber we've been sitting on. ::)

beenthere

Quote from: TexasTimbers on March 30, 2009, 12:51:48 PM
..............Now that TR has let the cat out of the bag I suppose the world will beat a path to our doorstep to harvest all this secret timber we've been sitting on. ::)

I think the world has enough brush piles of their own.   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I am already harvesting the DanG out of it  ;D.

Radar67

Another native born Texan (Borger) here too. I'm just sitting here listening....
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dail_h

Shoot,all this hurah 'bout the size o' texas. Why in a frenzy of random cogitating the other day,(Thanks Dang for instillin in me the wonders of cogitating)(oooops, ramblin) I cogitated that if you wuz ta flatten all the mountains, an hills in West Virginia,Texas likely would be the 3rd, maybe 4ht largest state
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Woodwalker

Quote from: dail_h on April 07, 2009, 05:13:17 PM
I cogitated that if you wuz ta flatten all the mountains, an hills in West Virginia,Texas likely would be the 3rd, maybe 4ht largest state

There's a few "hills" and "mountains" about 10-12 hours drive out west of here. We can iron them out, give you a flat spot to sit West Virginia on :D :D

Big Bend State Park, looking east thru the "Window" into the Cincos Basin.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: dail_h on April 07, 2009, 05:13:17 PMif you wuz ta flatten all the mountains . . . .

If. If if if.

And if Mirabeau Lamar would have had his way, Texas today would consist of modern day Texas and all the states to our west all the way to the Pacific ocean, and a few to our north like Colorado, Oklahoma, and a corner of Arkansas.

And if the Pacific Ocean was dirt instead of water, it would be slightly larger than oh, anything on the planet.

And if Len Bias hadn't decided to take drugs and die right after the Celtics drafted him, Boston would have almost certainly won more than the three championships they did in the first half of the 80s. They would have dominated well into the late 80s/early 90s. And if Bill Walton's knees had held up . . . . . . .

Lotsa ifs a fella can conjur up. ::) ;)

jeffreythree

Here is the original extent of Texas when it was its own country.  Everything outside of today's boundary was sold to the US to pay off debt when we became a state.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

Thank You Sponsors!