iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raw SIPs

Started by bigshow, March 25, 2009, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

I'm looking for info on 'raw' SIPS - panels not custom cut to users specs - but, I guess, trimmable for DIY type projects.  Anybody have info on suppliers or appropriate terms I should be looking for/using?

thanks...
I never try anything, I just do it.

logman

I've used General Panel out of Tn in the past.  I even used them to panel a frame in Montana, they were cheaper even considering the shipping costs. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

bigshow

Logman,
Ok, cool.  This is a start. Their website is a little low on info.  They have some PDF docs - the PDF's seem to indicate they are custom cut.  What have you ordered from them?  any guess on cost per sq ft?  (quotes i have gotten from local suppliers are $8/sq ft - all hardware included).  Any more info would be appreciated if you can...

thanks!

Jim_Rogers

If you buy "raw" sips, are you planning on cutting them yourself?
I would assume so.
If you do what are you going to do with the waste?

Sometimes the waste can be a problem getting rid of it.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logman

I got blanks from them when I did the frame in Montana about 2 years ago.  Call Butch Johnson or email him and I'm sure he can help you out.  I'll look through my old emails and see what they were a sq.ft.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

bigshow

Jim,

I'm thinking the waste would be excellent fuel for a sauna I want to eventually build.  J/K!!! yeah, waste disposal.  never thought of that.  I have a life situation that is potentially going to go out of control financially, and am looking for some alternate ideas for roofing the joint quickly, providing the R-Values I need/want.  SIPS are the glaring place to start axing costs.  I'm fairly married to using the local SIP manufacturers for the walls though.  Halving the cost of the roof 'framing' would put me into the new budget I need to be in.

Stagerig

I am planning to use a local supplier for the walls as well and have found a company called Hunter Panels that I plan to buy the roof panels from.  They sell a nailbase panel that has foam on one side and OSB on the other. To get the R-value I need I am using another of their panels to boost the foam thickness, these panels will have no OSB on them, just foam.  BTW I am putting all of this on top of 1.5" T&G Pine Decking so they won't be structural.  Hunter has a great website and you should be able to find a local distributor.  Good Luck!
Peterson WPF with Slabber, Woodmizer LT40, Kioti 455 w/FEL, MasseyFerguson 1533 w/FEL, New Holland C185, Granberg MarkIII & MiniMill, Husqvarna 3120XP, 455, 385XP, Shindaiwa 575x2 & 757

bigshow

Stagerig,

Sounds like your going the Wrap and Strap route?  How does one achieve large overhangs using wrap and strap?

Stagerig

I am planning to cut in 2x material in a cantilever fashion where I need to for my 3ft. overhang on the gable end and the eaves are only 2ft., according to my calcs the 2x decking will handle that nicely with my built up soffit.  My SIPs guy told me I wouldn't be able to get the 3ft. overhang with SIPs only, so this alternative should work out well. I plan on having 2x material every 4ft. on the gable end cantilever to screw the T&G decking to and then lay in the foam panels.
Peterson WPF with Slabber, Woodmizer LT40, Kioti 455 w/FEL, MasseyFerguson 1533 w/FEL, New Holland C185, Granberg MarkIII & MiniMill, Husqvarna 3120XP, 455, 385XP, Shindaiwa 575x2 & 757

StorminN

You might try doing a search on the SIPs panel association web site...

http://www.sips.org/

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

bigshow

Stagerig,

Thank for the info on Hunter panel.  I talked to them today.  Looks like If I go that route...it'll be just over half the cost of SIPS.  My T&G decking is gonna be a bit pricier though than i'd hoped.  Need thick stuff to screw the HPanel to.  I just have to work out how I need to tackle my own overhang problems (your info was helpful there too).

Thank You Sponsors!