iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky Rancher 455 factory chain

Started by sprintfan11, March 25, 2009, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprintfan11

Hello all,
     I'm new to the board and to tree cutting, just started cutting my own firewood last fall. I bought the Husky 455 from a big box store and have been sharpening the chain myself, my father in-law showed me how. He noticed the rakers on the chain and said he had never seen any like that before. I also had another relative who has A Jonsered say about the same thing about the rakers. After sharpening several times, I only sharpened the cutters, the saw will act like it's not cutting until i move it to a different angle. I talked to a guy at an a logging and sawmill supply store and he said it might be those strange rakers that are on the chain. I filled them down a little last night, I will test them out this afternoon. It is taking a bit more effort to cut lately, I hope I found the problem. Should I just replace the chain? Thanks in advance.
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

ErikC

Probably some kind of bumper link to reduce kickback ??? Well, no matter what kind of rakers they used, you have to file them down every couple of sharpenings. otherwise they hit the wood before the teeth!! I wouldn't buy a new chain just yet, but maybe get one without those when the time does come.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

John Mc

A couple of new chains I've bought have had the rakers too high as they come from the factory. It cut OK at first, but I was a bit disappointed... especially after the first sharpening. I didn't even think to check the rakers on a new chain until someone here mentioned it to me. Now I check as soon as I install a chain.

The chains I noticed this on were Oregon. I believe Husky ships with a rebadged Oregon chain, so it may be worth checking yours. Your dealer probably stocks a depth gauge tool for this. I'm not a fan of the Oregon depth gauge that lays flat across a couple of teeth. Husky sells a couple of different kinds that work well. If you have trouble finding something you like, I can dig up web links to what works for me, or you can search this site... there have been a number of posts about the subject.

I do agree with EricC - when you wear this chain out, there are better ones that what comes stock on the 455. You may have to go to a chainsaw place, though. The big box stores tend to only sell the safety chain.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lonewolf

Take the chain off the powerhead and bar, grab it by one hand, in a safe place turn rapidly around in a circle and release. Make sure you don't look to see where it went. Now go to your nearest dealer and purchase a new chain designed to cut wood and not protect the manufacturer from lawsuits. I use Shihl RC in softwood and Oregon LP in hardwood. 
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Ironmower

:D :D I liked that one, lonewolf ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

WDH

Quote from: lonewolf on March 25, 2009, 02:54:48 PM
Take the chain off the powerhead and bar, grab it by one hand, in a safe place turn rapidly around in a circle and release. Make sure you don't look to see where it went. Now go to your nearest dealer and purchase a new chain designed to cut wood and not protect the manufacturer from lawsuits. I use Shihl RC in softwood and Oregon LP in hardwood. 

I assume that you spin around on one foot and grunt as you let go ??? ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprintfan11

Quote from: lonewolf on March 25, 2009, 02:54:48 PM
:D Thanks lonewolf, my wife and I laughed out loud! :D

I took the chain off last night after working too hard to cut too little and will be getting a new chain this afternoon. I have yet to send the old chain into orbit..... ;D

1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

lonewolf

Glad to see you took my advice!! The chains sold on new saws are designed to have minimal kickback and protect the user from harm. My dealer informs me this is to keep the manufactures from being sued. If I had to choose 1 type of chain I would use Oregon LP as I seem to be able to get it to cut the fastest for me. And "YES" grunting and hopping will help the trajectory of the offending chain.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

ely

i use a 4 inch grinder and modify the offending chains to suit myself. then proceed to use them into oblivion. ;)

ladylake

Same here, if I happen to get a safety chain it turns into a non safety one fast, no reason to throw ot away.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sprintfan11

Quote from: ely on March 27, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
i use a 4 inch grinder and modify the offending chains to suit myself. then proceed to use them into oblivion. ;)
Sounds like a plan. Thanks! ;D

1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

baronthered

I hate those chains as well. I don't think they allow the cutter to engage fully with the wood. I had an old junk saw and used one of those chains on it to cut out a hole through siding and the tin roof of a trailer. Worked pretty good on the metal...  8)  :D
Life's short make fun of it!

RANGERDALEXP

I have had a 455 since 2004 and i stopped using the stock vanguard style chains about a year ago and started using Oregon LP and woodland pro 30RC chains, the stock chains at Lowe's was about $25 and the LP and 30RC are around $13 and $15 from baileys, they cut like night and day difference compared to the stock chains and last much longer, don't waste your time on the stock chains, buy the good stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!