iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! with B&S Intek 1450

Started by tyb525, March 24, 2009, 10:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Talk about Murphy's Law..  ::)

Today I was just getting into a rhythm sawing boards (6") off a cant, and about halfway through the cut, the engine started bogging terribly for no apparent reason. So I stopped, shut it off, and let it cool off for a few minutes. Then I started it again, and it ran just fine. I cut a couple more feet, when I noticed a little oil was dripping off the underside of the motor mount onto the wood below.

So of course this was really alarming, so I shut it off again. It didn't drip anymore, but I could see a some oil pooled up around the base of the motor mount. I also checked the oil, and it was actually a bit above the full mark, and clean. (I hadn't added any oil since I got it.)

So I took off the recoil starter cover and the air filter to get a better look. There were droplets of oil on almost all the engine, almost as if someone had sprayed oil on there. I couldn't find a specific place it was leaking from.

I started it up again and cut another board. It still ran fine, and there were only a couple drips this time. I took the covers off again, and still couldn't find a specific point where it was leaking.

My guess right now is that the oil was slightly overfilled, and splashed out the crankcase vent onto the flywheel, which spread it around. Or that the droplets of oil were from the factory.

I am no expert on small engines, but I would think that I would notice an oil leak like this on the dipstick.
I'm afraid to keep running it, even if the oil level on the dipstick doesn't get lower.

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton "Intek" 1450, with around 20 hours on it. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it. I usually cut as fast as it will go without bogging or wavy cuts, just like WM says to do.

If any of you have ideas, I would greatly appreciate them!

Here are some pictures just in case...

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Radar67

Was the filter saturated in oil? I have several engines that recommend using oil on the air filter to help trap dirt.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

Now that I recall, I think the prefilter did have some oil on it. I can't see how it could get all around the engine though, although maybe this has been happening over time and I just noticed it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Call WM tomorrow Ty, that's what they are there for.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

That's my plan, I was gonna do it today but called 15 minutes too late. :D

backwoods sawyer

It seems like all my bake downs occur after they have closed as well, Either we are working to long of days or they are not working long enough days. Then in the morning, you have to wait around for them to open up. At least while you are having a second cup of coffee you can break out the manual and have it laid out to the right page when you give them a call so that you are both on the same page.

Did the oil seem just a bit thin? You may have fuel leak, that would explain the motor acted and the over full oil. If so, a crab kit first thing in the spring would not be a bad way to start the year off.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

Also have you flooded it at or left the fuel tap on for awhile (overnight  :o ) as even on newer motors the fuel can run through the carb and into the cyld onto the piston then runns past the rings into the oil  :) Hence the overfull oil ;) then you have to take the spark plugs out turn it over a couple of times to remove any excess fuel . drain the sump then top it up  :( ::) ::) I left the fuel on one night when i knocked off  on the Lucas the first day i used it  :o :) ::) Musta been on the big gear too long  ;) :D :D :D I dont reckon itd be anything too serious tho mate  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

Gave WM a call this morning, and they suggested to run it and check the oil every so often. I ran it all day with no more oil lost, and I didn't notice any more leaking, and it ran just fine.

It sounds like it is a good idea to turn the fuel off when you're done running it, even for overnight?

LAZERDAN

Do you always let it idle down before shut down?   Do you remember if it had even ONE{ for lack of words , Backfire on shut down}  Some times My guys will run the engines hard right to the end . And Get a Pop on shut down and will blow clean oil, crank case oil out the Crank breather ,  I always know when they do this cause of the drops of oil on the engine.  No big deal They have thousands of hrs, on them.  Change the oil often, let them ilde at shut down and yours will to.  Just my 2 cents.    Lazerdan   

Jeff

Quote from: tyb525 on March 25, 2009, 10:05:50 PM
It sounds like it is a good idea to turn the fuel off when you're done running it, even for overnight?

Yes!  Even for a few hours.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

I always let it idle for 10-15 seconds at idle, I've never been comfortable with shutting engines off at full throttle. I do remember it backfiring once after I shut it off, and I think it may have been right before I noticed the oil.

Anyways, I'll remember to turn the fuel off when I'm done using it, although this is the first I've heard of doing that except when you're storing it for a long period of time  :P.

Another question, is it better for the engine to keep it at full throttle or to return it to idle at the end of the cut. I am the type the disengages the blade at the end of the cut so I don't have to lift the head up.
When I disengage and pull it back I usually slow the engine down also. I've heard from my dad and others that it is better to leave an engine at the full throttle most of the time it is running, for various reasons including cooling. Just wanted your opinion as to which will increase engine life.

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

Another thing to check is pull the dipstick out and smell it if it smells like it has fuel in it and looks alittle thin id change the oil too Mate  ;)

With the revs i just find where its running Sweet then leave it at that untill im finnished cutting the log with the lucas and with the lt40 E super hyd ive run in the past i use to just engauge the motor then leave it running until i was finnished the log and never had any dramas  if the mills tuned right you should have no worrys mate ;)

The Jonsered bandsaw mill i had when i was 15 was a diferent kettle of fish tho as it ran off a 2095 jonsered chainsaw motor so it had a twingrip handel with the on/of & the throttle on the r/h side and a motorbike brake handel grip and a brake on the bandwheel which when you finnished the cut you could just letgo of the handels and it went back to idle and the brake came on  ;) it was abit of a pita at times when you wanted  a free hand to flick abit of trash of the log or mill tho  ;) but it was a verry safe mill to use mate  ;)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

pineywoods

Ty, whether or not to idle back is a compromise. Doing so reduces wear on the mill and blade, BUT it shuts down the cooling on an already hot engine. Consequently the temp of the engine head and block fluctuates wildly, not good. This is assuming an air-cooled engine, liquid cooling is a whole different ballgame. Personally, I idle back when the blade exits the cut for another reason. I've had a couple of blades break while running at speed but not in the cut. Pieces likely to go in any direction, and don't forget, that blade is traveling somewhere around 50 mph..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tyb525

Chris I'll remember to smell the oil. :)

Thanks for your help and advice guys, happy milling to you all!

Thank You Sponsors!