iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunday's Project - new mill addition

Started by tcsmpsi, March 24, 2009, 09:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Having the need to load the larger logs onto the mill, and with a tractor too small to lift some of them, I had decided some time ago to build a contraption that I could roll the logs up to the mill with the tractor.  It will also facilitate my 'tossing' the slabs (some of which don't toss so easily  ;D)

The arms from the deck to the mill are reinforced 2" angle iron which fold back out of the way.

Tried a couple logs with it and it works as I had anticipated.  That takes some of the burden off me and the tractor.   Makes a good set of saw horses, too.   :D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Chuck White

Looks like a good setup you have there!
You could even hook up a winch to work on your ramp system!
That would save wear and tear on you and your tractor. ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

brdmkr

Looking good there TCSMPSI.  If I can ever get set up under roof, I hope to do something similar.  Only I won't have to lift quite as high to get the logs on the bunks of the Lucas.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pineywoods

looks a whole lot like my setup. right in the middle of a pine thicket. I use the ramps that came with my WM lt40.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tcsmpsi

Yeah, Chuck.  I might get around to being able to squander the time to set up a winch.  It was a pretty major decision to take the time for what I did, but I have some larger pine logs coming in from a fellow I've milled for in the past.  He travels about 80 miles one way to bring them.  Likes the lumber he gets, I reckon.

I only get about 3 Sundays a month off and some Saturday afternoons.  I knew when Ike came through I would be at least a year behind in the necessity things to get done.

You know I am looking forward to you getting sheded, brdmkr.  Make it where it is easy to add on to and large as possible to begin with.

Already, I'm in need of adding on again.   :D

My ramps that came with the mill were too short, piney.  That stack drying in the shed above is most of the pine that Ike took down.  The oaks downed had to have two small bridges built to be able to get to them with the tractor.  Got the bridges built and paths cleard to them. Need to get them cut up into logs and firewood, yet.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looks like itll work a treat for you Tcsmpsi  ;) ;D 8) id just add a brace from the bottom of the post nearest the mill  to the top corner of the outer post on each ramp itll make it alittle more rigid whene your pushing against it with the tractor Mate  ;) ;D

Brdmkr the only other thing you will need is A BIGGER Loader  :o ::) you'll be like me Mate  ;) :D :D ;D ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

beav39

nice work very clean looking set up looks like it will work great!
sawdust in the blood

WDH

That should be the ticket.  But, that will only exacerbate the filled shed syndrome  :).  Add on, fill the shed, add on, fill the shed, make a loading ramp, fill the shed, fill the shed, fill the shed. 

I have a bad case of fill the shed syndrome  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Good show TCS,be sure to have a rugged log stop between the dead deck and the mill so when you roll the big ones on they don't roll off between the mill and and deck,most of us have done that one time or anouther and it taint fun.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on March 25, 2009, 07:17:18 PM
That should be the ticket.  But, that will only exacerbate the filled shed syndrome  :).  Add on, fill the shed, add on, fill the shed, make a loading ramp, fill the shed, fill the shed, fill the shed. 

I have a bad case of fill the shed syndrome  ;D.

I need to quit work, so I can go to work.   :D

Ivey

Nice looking ramp TCS, it will keep you from having to get on and off the tractor as much..
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

WDH

Tcsmpsi,

Fill the shed, fill the shed.  I will be over your way week of April 20, so I expect a filled shed  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Hey Ivey...how's your mill doing?

WDH, you'll not be disappointed in your expectations. 

The oldest surviving boy should be here around Easter from Afghanistan (3rd tour) with his our new twin girls.  Unless he feels the insatiable need to work the mill, there's apt to be a little down time during that period.  ;D 
O'Paw's got two good hands...one for each of them.   :D

Ivey

I don't think that I could ask for it to be any better. everything is going fine. The more hrs. I get behind the controls, the better it saws ;D
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

tcsmpsi

Glad to hear that, Ivey. 

If you were a bit closer....  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!