iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Southerners, eating breakfast is an art.

Started by CHARLIE, March 24, 2009, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

To a Southerner, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and eating it is a fine art not understood by those that live north of the Mason/Dixon line and eat potatoes instead of grits.  A Southerner can sit down to a fine breakfast of over easy eggs, grits with butter and either bacon, fried ham or sausage and when they come to that last forkful, they'll still have a little bit of each. You see, it's important that you have a little grits on the fork with your bite of egg. It's also important that you have a little bit of grits on your fork with the bacon, ham or sausage. So, it's an art to make sure that the last bite of egg or meat is also the last bite of grits. People that eat potatoes for breakfast just don't understand that. Yep, eating breakfast is an art and the most skilled breakfast eaters are Southerners. :) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

Since about the first of the year I've got Mary to relent a little and let me cook my own breakfast.  I'm not sure if it's a territorial thing or a control issue but she really don't like the idea for some reason. 

I've been working at perfecting my technique and timing to come out with everything done and still warm at the same time.  My breakfast is, for lack of a better description, Missouri/Mex cuisine.

I start with a flat iron skillet (the only cookware a real man needs) and get it warming up.  I dig out the bacon, eggs, salsa, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and tortillas. 

I put two strips of quality thick sliced bacon in the skillet.  While it's frying I dump about a quarter cup of salsa in a very small bowl and put it in the microwave to warm up at the end.  I grate up a heaping handful of cheese.  When the bacon is cooked but still limp I nudge it to one side and put in the eggs.  I have a plate setting on the cook top warming up.  When the eggs are done, I slip them and the bacon onto the plate and put a tortilla in the skillet.  As I get time while things are cooking I put things away and make a cup of coffee.  I turn the tortilla and spread on the grated cheese and pepper it.  I then set the microwave and heat up the salsa. When the cheese starts to melt, I fold over the tortilla and flatten it so the cheese distributes even.  When the microwave kicks off,  I pour the salsa over the eggs and turn off the burner.  I cut the tortilla into four wedges and slip them onto the plate.  I set the plate aside and scoot the hot skillet to a cool spot on the stove. Ready to eat!

Mary still does not like it that I cook my own breakfast and tries to jump in ahead of me and make her version of my breakfast.  But she likes her bacon burned to a crisp and her eggs with the yokes broken and cooked hard.  She thinks I should like it the same way.  She'll use about half the heat that I cook with and leave the kitchen to do other things while it's cooking thus half the stuff is cold by the time you set down to eat it.

Now I'm hungry.  I've been known to not wait until morning to have breakfast and have it about 4:00 am and then go back to bed. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Gday

Those both sound like some fine Grub your eating there Charlie and Bibby  musteat_1 digin_2 digin1 Im a ratio man myself too charlie  ;D 8)  and i dont like when it dont add up   :o :o ;) :D :D Bibby your not the only man that dosnt like their brekky burnt to a crisp mate   :o :) ::) ;) :D ;D

my  Aussie brekky is usually bacon , saussages and eggs on toast made with nice thick Homemade bread  thats almost every morning  ;D ;D
or when i really lash out its Steak ,saussages ,bacon and eggs on toast  ;D ;D 8) 8)
and when im in a hurry its usually toasted muesli with some yogat and milk  ;) ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

OneWithWood

Being that I am on a low, low carb kick I do it a bit different.  But the ratio thing is still very much in play.
Warm up the black iron pan, toss in the meat (steak, pork chop, sausage (either link or patty.  When the meat is within 7 minutes of medium rare for the steak or thoroughly cooked for the pork, I add two eggs.  I cook the eggs sunny side up so I have some dippin' sauce for the meat.  While all this is cooking I brew up a bodacious pot of coffee (Italian roast is my current choice), slice a kiwi fruit in two and eat it.  Sit down, sip on the coffee, dip some meat into the egg yolks and manage to always have some egg for every bit of meat.  Sunday is for bacon, one slice of buttered whole grain toast and perhaps an extra cup of joe.  The bacon gets cooked in the nucleaar oven so it comes out relatively free of grease but still good and chewy.
I never miss breakfast or supper, but lunch (dinner) may get skipped if I am rolling on a project.  If I do eat a midday meal it is meat and cheese.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ErikC

Quote from: CHARLIE on March 24, 2009, 12:33:10 AM
To a Southerner, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and eating it is a fine art not understood by those that live north of the Mason/Dixon line and eat potatoes instead of grits. Yep, eating breakfast is an art and the most skilled breakfast eaters are Southerners. :) 

Wrong!! hashbrown potatoes work much the same way, and a top hand will have a couple shreds of crispy potato with egg yolk all over it to accompany the last little bite of bacon. I've done it many a time. ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

CLL

Bibby, I'm sure Mary is like my wife,  she does to many other things while cooking breakfast. I can't stand cold food and my wife always has toast that the butter isn't even melted. Eggs, ham, and toast all on a cold plate. Drives me nuts!!
Too much work-not enough pay.

beenthere

CLL
That is a pet peeve of mine at some restaurants...cold eggs on a cold plate.   ::) ::)

I like Bibby's way...keep it hot. - 'cept I'd toss in a second fry pan   :) :)  (just for Mary's sake).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

I had what I hate the most this weekend  >:(  >:(  >:(

Was at a salad bar and the plates had just come out of the kitchen so DanGed hot you could hardly hold 'em

Nuthin like cool lettuce on a smokin' hot plate. I don't remember ordering the wilted spinach salad  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

QuoteTo a Southerner, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and eating it is a fine art not understood by those that live north of the Mason/Dixon line and eat potatoes instead of grits.

To that I say... Bull Puckey.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

you fellas are too picky.

i just dump my eggs in some milk and drink them
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 24, 2009, 05:56:04 PM
i just dump my eggs in some milk and drink them

WOW   :o  :o  :o

Ain't that like cold oysters ?

underdog

I was always fascinated by women at breakfast.
A real Southern gal will be the first one up and roll out a spread for her crew and any guests effortlessly.
Just bowls and plates full of good eating to wake everyone in the house.
Man them are some great woman.

beenthere

QuoteI just dump my eggs in some milk and drink them

Ya's then spit the egg shells out, or just chew 'em up or swallow 'em whole?  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Ain't NUTHIN like Cold Oysters, still sittin in the shells.  digin_2 digin_2 digin_2
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

At first I thought we should move this thread to the food board, but now, I dunno. :D

CHARLIE

QuoteTo that I say... Bull Puckey.

Some breakfast tater eaters have a hard time realizing that they don't know anything about the art of eatin' breakfast. Others have just accepted the fact that Southerners have it down pat and they just can't measure up. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gary_C

Ya Charlie, you are right. I spent some eight weeks in the south many years ago and the breakfasts were memorable, to say the least. I think I was somewhere around Killeen, Texas.

Why I'll never forget the mornings when we would have eggs to order along with the assortments of grits, fried potatoes, and bacon, sausage, or ham. They would bring the griddle right out in the serving line and the cook would stand over that hot griddle in his whites and cook your eggs to order. He'd have a cigarette hanging from his lips with the ash falling on to the griddle. And the sweat would drip from his nose and sizzle when it hit that hot griddle. You could just holler ahead when you got your tray and he'd have your eggs ready when you got to him. Can't remember if I ever tried the grits, but those breakfasts were sure memorable.  :) :)

Quote from: CHARLIE on March 24, 2009, 07:36:24 PM

Others have just accepted the fact that Southerners have it down pat and they just can't measure up. ;D

Yep, nothing will ever measure up to those breakfasts. Those southerners sure do know how to sweat.  ;D ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

CLL

Ideal breakfast should be as follows. Two eggs over easy, country ham,grits, biscuits and gravy,toast and jelly, with side order of pancakes, orange juice and of course milk.
Too much work-not enough pay.

TexasTimbers

CHARLIE,

I don't really know anything about you, but i don't have to. You are my kind of people. ;D

I have never read a more accurate, honest, and forthright description of the southern breakfast institution.

Gary, there is hope for you yet. ;)

Jeff, there is no hope for you.  ::)

Paul, you probably eat rice for breakfast but won't admit it.  :-X

Steve, I won't pick on you, you're probably eating grits on the sly though. :D

Meadows Miller, I used 6 different smilies and none of them the same. Quality over quantity. Take notes.  :P

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Paul_H

Quote from: TexasTimbers on March 24, 2009, 09:10:30 PM
CHARLIE,

Paul, you probably eat rice for breakfast but won't admit it.  :-X

I'm not too fussy what I eat for breakfast.When I'm working,breakfast is a peanut butter and honey sandwich eaten with one hand and the other on the wheel, or hands on the controls and the sandwich on my lap.It aint pretty.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gary_C

Quote from: Paul_H on March 24, 2009, 09:24:57 PM
When I'm working,breakfast is a peanut butter and honey sandwich eaten with one hand and the other on the wheel, or hands on the controls and the sandwich on my lap.It aint pretty.

That's the way with me now too. I even had to give up the peanut butter and get just a glass of OJ and a bowl of bran flakes.

Lunch ain't pretty either. Set a couple slices of bread on my pantleg, if it isn't too dirty or forgot to put a paper plate in the cooler, a few thin slices of ham and maybe an apple. You can't beat the scenery though.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

My idea of breakfast is around 9 in the morning,after I've been outside for a few hours working up a appetite.I won't bother saying what I eat.Won't be good enough for some of you without them things that some of you call food that some of you call grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Quote from: TexasTimbers on March 24, 2009, 09:10:30 PM

Steve, I won't pick on you, you're probably eating grits on the sly though. :D

I don't know what all fuss is about, I like gritzzzzz and I am not afraid to admit it  ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

Quote from: CHARLIE on March 24, 2009, 07:36:24 PM
QuoteTo that I say... Bull Puckey.

Some breakfast tater eaters have a hard time realizing that they don't know anything about the art of eatin' breakfast. Others have just accepted the fact that Southerners have it down pat and they just can't measure up. ;D

Says the man from Minnesota....

Thank You Sponsors!