iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small metal to missing teeth ratio

Started by Banjo picker, March 22, 2009, 09:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I hit one screw of some sort deep in a sweetgum today and it for the most part knocked off 27 teeth. :D ;D >:( :( :o   I used up a lot of emotions.  But thats nothing I am going to get a log tomorrow if its dry enoungh that has a bumper jack sticking out of it.  I am going to take a few pic.  Hopefull some day i will get to where i can post them.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

That sounds like a bummer for sure.  So what do you do after that happens.  I guess I should search this.

Did you continue sawing the same log or just put it off to the side?   Newbie question I suppose.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dan_Shade

i like to live life on the edge.  I turn the log over and see if I can hit it from the other side.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

Then if you hit it from the other side you cut that part out with a chainsaw?  Guess it depends where the metal is located.

I got alot to learn. :P 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dan_Shade

actually, if I hit metal, i go digging with the chainsaw and then chisel/pry/pull out the culprit.

I carry a crowbar, a prybar, wedges, and a crescent nail puller doohickey to help in nail/screw extraction.

I hit a broadhead arrowtip once, they're a lot harder than the band blade!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

I recently won a battle w/ a spalted, nail infested 7' hard maple. I just would NOT give up  ::) Three blades later I won, nailiest darn wood I ever cut. I just gave it away the other day for free (maybe the log won that one). But it was cut up!

Fence ceramic insulators NEVER lose! Especially if it is on a low oblique orientation.  >:(

Ironwood   
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodhick

Been there done that, I agree with Ironwood on the ceramic insulators.  I've cut three to date.  I decided to try one of those cheap metal detectors similar to what security guards use.  I bought one from Harbour freight.   I was cutting a persimmon log and hit a nail and sent my son to get the new metal detector out of the shop.  I scannned over the log and it "hit or beeped" in two places.  Both places were right over the metal supports on the mill and I told my son it had to be picking up them.   Sure enough next cut I hit two nails and plastic fence insulators, each right dead on top of the supports.   My son just looked at me and asked if I was going to beleive it next time :D.  Oh Well.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

ErikC

I will back up any negative statements made about ceramic, and adds some of my own. I hit a fence insulator once, it was down where you expect trash, so I was kinda prepared. Then one time I hit a telegraph insulator, way up high where you're "safe". Those are a LOT bigger, and tougher than fence ones. Made a terrible noise, then the carbide tips on my Peterson just vanished, never to be seen again. :o
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

brdmkr

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 22, 2009, 09:55:56 PM
actually, if I hit metal, i go digging with the chainsaw and then chisel/pry/pull out the culprit.

I carry a crowbar, a prybar, wedges, and a crescent nail puller doohickey to help in nail/screw extraction.

One of my favorite metal removal tools is a cordless drill.  If you can find the metal and drill beside it, you can often vice-grips on it and pull it out.  I hate pulling metal, but I hate hitting it even worse.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ErikC

Quote from: brdmkr on March 23, 2009, 11:49:45 AM
Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 22, 2009, 09:55:56 PM

One of my favorite metal removal tools is a cordless drill.  If you can find the metal and drill beside it, you can often vice-grips on it and pull it out.  I hate pulling metal, but I hate hitting it even worse.

Great idea brdmkr, why haven't I tried that before ??? Now I can't wait to find some more metal and see how it works. :-\
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Banjo picker

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 22, 2009, 09:30:23 PM

Did you continue sawing the same log or just put it off to the side?   

James I finished cutting the log WITH that SAME blade.  I just slowed the saw down to a down right crawl.  The blades are 17 feet one inch so i had knocked off about 2 feet or so worth.  I figured screws were like nails--no body uses just one. :D  i wasn't gona ruin 2 blades on it.  I got two 7 x 9 ties out of the rascel.  Didn't hit any thing else.  I had heard that the screws were tough. 

The bumper jack had already been pulled out of the tree when i got there today, but I had forgot the camera anyway. ;D  Took the 084 and split the three bigest logs into so the loader could pick them up.  42 inches on the butt cut.   8) 8) 8)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Part_Timer

I hit 3 nails on a job last month.  I couldn't figure out why they didn't show up I had scanned with the metal detector and everything was good.  I changed blades scanned it again.  it looked good, even changed the batteries.  Hit one more that chipped 2 teeth.  The metal detector was set on jewlery not all metals.  I guess the detector was right, there wasn't the first diamond ring or gold bracelet in that log. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

STUMPKICKER

In all the years I've bin' makin' sawdust, the hardest object I've ever hit was a mill bastard.  :o

ToddC

Quote from: STUMPKICKER on March 27, 2009, 07:57:09 PM
In all the years I've bin' makin' sawdust, the hardest object I've ever hit was a mill bastard.  :o

Did you have to pay him workmans comp?

Meadows Miller

Gday

Todd  :D :D :D :D :D ;) i gota good laugh outa that one Mate  ;)

Tim ive never knocked that many teeth of a band  :o and i can understand you not being too happy  :o :) :( >:( ::) as ive hit plenty of metal over the years too Mate  ;) :D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

STUMPKICKER

Todd C., he never put in for it.  ;D :D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!