iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started a small hole-Lets retry the photos

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 22, 2009, 12:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

And it has turned into an Archeological Dig  :o :o Finding all sorts of Ancient Pottery shards, about 3 meters down, or so, from the surface. Sure has slowed the hole down.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ellmoe

Harold,

Be on the lookout for a pot of gold. I'm pretty sure I left one around there somewhere. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

The Indigenous covered the dead bodies of higher up, elders, with gold juacas and such. Don't know if there was enough gold in this particular region, to do that or not.

So far, no dead bodies  ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

Are you feeling alright Harold? ;D  I am thinking of building my box, but I had no plans to dig the hole for it..
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

If'n ya don't dig the hole, before ya go, ya jist might get yerseff a hotfoot, Bob.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

I got a box I can send down Harold, might me 3 feet short but I'm sure it can work. You rooting nanners out or something? :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Or something.  8) ;D ;D ;D :-X :-X
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 22, 2009, 01:23:29 PM

So far, no dead bodies  ::) ::) ;D ;D

If ya find bodies, I hope for your sake they are dead. I hear the un-dead ones can be a world of trouble.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

In that case, I will use them to put hex's on the neighbors.  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

fishpharmer

Can you post up some pics of the stuff your finding?

I bet I can guess what the hole is for ;) ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Maybe photos, tomorrow.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

fishpharmer, if you are thinking like I am thinking he would need a large hole for that. smiley_airfreshener
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

thecfarm

At least you find something worth talking about when you dig a hole.All I ever found here is rocks with a little bit of dirt around them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Sounds pretty cool Harold. We found a piece once, very interesting.

Yes, there was a lot of gold around here. In fact, the Rio Venado has some. (which doesn't go through Vendado the time, if you are curious)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteIn fact, the Rio Venado has some. (which doesn't go through Vendado the time, if you are curious)

I've tried to follow this, Fred, but, guess I just don't catch on too quickly, anymore. 'splain it to me ???

There is so far, 2 distinct layers of compacted earth, where the pieces are being found. They both are distinguishable by the fact that GRITTY type sand is sparsely scattered on top of the layers.

This sand, is, very large to be called sand. I have been told, it is from the Volcano eruptions, at different times in history. There is absolutely no clay type dirt mixed in this sand. It will not hold water, and it runs according to the contour of the land, so, drains downhill.

I may have to deepen the hole another 10 inches, and, the nicer pieces were found just about at that level, when we were just digging, not trying to be fancy.

Might try to get a photo of the sand layers in the hole, later today.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Venado just mean deer, so there is a town called Venado, and a river called Venado. The river doesn't pass through the town, in fact, it passes near us. Good fishing in the river by the way and some very impressive waterfalls.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

OK, Fred. Knew all that. Just couldn't see it with what you wrote. Venado is just below us, on the west side of the hill, about 2K's or so.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Posted over 150 photos on this Forum, now, the new deal won't let me download photos of 350 pixels at largest size measurement. Others downloaded at 400, and, some were rejected at 300 ??????

Oh well, here is what WAS allowed.

GREAT, now this ???

Can't access my Gallery without downloading Java , which WON'T dfownload on my computer, so, no photos  ::) ::) ::) ::) >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Use the same method you always used. optimize your photos and use the regular uploader on the menu on the side of the gallery. Your photos can be 500 wide. If they are rejecting at less its because of the k size not the pixel size.

Jeff

What are you talking about?? The photos are in your gallery.

isawlogs

Its ok Jeff , Harrold doesn't get out much anymore  ;) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Poor guy is computer challenged. Don't know why he can't download photos as always unless the computer is suffering from something. I know the link to go to the gallery is not under the post. Probably enough to throw someone off a little until they learn that under the web page menu there is "Forum Extras" with a link to the gallery or click on the link under your username. The code that shows up by left clicking on the thumbnail still has to be transferred (highlighted with the mouse cursor , cut and pasted with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) to the post window.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Ok, Jeff had me all messed up, changing stuff around, again.  ::) ::)  Gotta blame sumbudy, right  ::) :D :D :D :D :D

The shards are coming from 2 separate depths, one at about 25", and the other at about 35". Figure that it takes maybe 80 years to produce 1" of topsoil, that would make these pieces 2000 and 2800 years old. Rule of thumb is 1" of topsoil per 100 years, but, down here, stuff never stops growing or decomposing, so I figured 80 years per inch ???

The larger pieces are at the deeper level, naturally ::) ???  There are 3 or 4 different pots represented in the shard photos. Look close and you can see different types of markings on the pieces.

There are more pieces I didn't bother showing. They come from the upper 25" range, and are all much smaller in size. There are maybe 5 or more different pots  according to viewing the pieces, and, they are just plain Jane looking.

There is layers of a gritty sand, that separate the layers of topsoil, and, I have been told, the grit layers are from the Volcano activity ???  Think grit found on the ground, at the cement block yard. Looks exactly like that, ranging from a little bigger to a little smaller grit, than copper jacketed BB's.

There is NO clay-dirt mixed in with the grit. It will NOT hold water, so, the ground drains quickly through these layers, which follow the slope of the land.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

That's really  8) 8) Harold  :)  Would that be from the Mayan or maybe Olmec  ???   Now the big question  ;) ;D  Do you have a supply of Super Glue in CR  ???  ;D  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Not sure what nation of Indigenous this stuff would be from. There was trading all over Central America, so, could be from any nation.  ??? ???

Not enough pieces to glue together, yet ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!