iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started a small hole-Lets retry the photos

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 22, 2009, 12:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

And it has turned into an Archeological Dig  :o :o Finding all sorts of Ancient Pottery shards, about 3 meters down, or so, from the surface. Sure has slowed the hole down.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ellmoe

Harold,

Be on the lookout for a pot of gold. I'm pretty sure I left one around there somewhere. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

The Indigenous covered the dead bodies of higher up, elders, with gold juacas and such. Don't know if there was enough gold in this particular region, to do that or not.

So far, no dead bodies  ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

Are you feeling alright Harold? ;D  I am thinking of building my box, but I had no plans to dig the hole for it..
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

If'n ya don't dig the hole, before ya go, ya jist might get yerseff a hotfoot, Bob.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

I got a box I can send down Harold, might me 3 feet short but I'm sure it can work. You rooting nanners out or something? :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Or something.  8) ;D ;D ;D :-X :-X
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 22, 2009, 01:23:29 PM

So far, no dead bodies  ::) ::) ;D ;D

If ya find bodies, I hope for your sake they are dead. I hear the un-dead ones can be a world of trouble.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

In that case, I will use them to put hex's on the neighbors.  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

fishpharmer

Can you post up some pics of the stuff your finding?

I bet I can guess what the hole is for ;) ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Maybe photos, tomorrow.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

fishpharmer, if you are thinking like I am thinking he would need a large hole for that. smiley_airfreshener
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

thecfarm

At least you find something worth talking about when you dig a hole.All I ever found here is rocks with a little bit of dirt around them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Sounds pretty cool Harold. We found a piece once, very interesting.

Yes, there was a lot of gold around here. In fact, the Rio Venado has some. (which doesn't go through Vendado the time, if you are curious)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteIn fact, the Rio Venado has some. (which doesn't go through Vendado the time, if you are curious)

I've tried to follow this, Fred, but, guess I just don't catch on too quickly, anymore. 'splain it to me ???

There is so far, 2 distinct layers of compacted earth, where the pieces are being found. They both are distinguishable by the fact that GRITTY type sand is sparsely scattered on top of the layers.

This sand, is, very large to be called sand. I have been told, it is from the Volcano eruptions, at different times in history. There is absolutely no clay type dirt mixed in this sand. It will not hold water, and it runs according to the contour of the land, so, drains downhill.

I may have to deepen the hole another 10 inches, and, the nicer pieces were found just about at that level, when we were just digging, not trying to be fancy.

Might try to get a photo of the sand layers in the hole, later today.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Venado just mean deer, so there is a town called Venado, and a river called Venado. The river doesn't pass through the town, in fact, it passes near us. Good fishing in the river by the way and some very impressive waterfalls.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

OK, Fred. Knew all that. Just couldn't see it with what you wrote. Venado is just below us, on the west side of the hill, about 2K's or so.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Posted over 150 photos on this Forum, now, the new deal won't let me download photos of 350 pixels at largest size measurement. Others downloaded at 400, and, some were rejected at 300 ??????

Oh well, here is what WAS allowed.

GREAT, now this ???

Can't access my Gallery without downloading Java , which WON'T dfownload on my computer, so, no photos  ::) ::) ::) ::) >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Use the same method you always used. optimize your photos and use the regular uploader on the menu on the side of the gallery. Your photos can be 500 wide. If they are rejecting at less its because of the k size not the pixel size.

Jeff

What are you talking about?? The photos are in your gallery.

isawlogs

Its ok Jeff , Harrold doesn't get out much anymore  ;) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Poor guy is computer challenged. Don't know why he can't download photos as always unless the computer is suffering from something. I know the link to go to the gallery is not under the post. Probably enough to throw someone off a little until they learn that under the web page menu there is "Forum Extras" with a link to the gallery or click on the link under your username. The code that shows up by left clicking on the thumbnail still has to be transferred (highlighted with the mouse cursor , cut and pasted with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) to the post window.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Ok, Jeff had me all messed up, changing stuff around, again.  ::) ::)  Gotta blame sumbudy, right  ::) :D :D :D :D :D

The shards are coming from 2 separate depths, one at about 25", and the other at about 35". Figure that it takes maybe 80 years to produce 1" of topsoil, that would make these pieces 2000 and 2800 years old. Rule of thumb is 1" of topsoil per 100 years, but, down here, stuff never stops growing or decomposing, so I figured 80 years per inch ???

The larger pieces are at the deeper level, naturally ::) ???  There are 3 or 4 different pots represented in the shard photos. Look close and you can see different types of markings on the pieces.

There are more pieces I didn't bother showing. They come from the upper 25" range, and are all much smaller in size. There are maybe 5 or more different pots  according to viewing the pieces, and, they are just plain Jane looking.

There is layers of a gritty sand, that separate the layers of topsoil, and, I have been told, the grit layers are from the Volcano activity ???  Think grit found on the ground, at the cement block yard. Looks exactly like that, ranging from a little bigger to a little smaller grit, than copper jacketed BB's.

There is NO clay-dirt mixed in with the grit. It will NOT hold water, so, the ground drains quickly through these layers, which follow the slope of the land.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

That's really  8) 8) Harold  :)  Would that be from the Mayan or maybe Olmec  ???   Now the big question  ;) ;D  Do you have a supply of Super Glue in CR  ???  ;D  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Not sure what nation of Indigenous this stuff would be from. There was trading all over Central America, so, could be from any nation.  ??? ???

Not enough pieces to glue together, yet ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 24, 2009, 08:47:35 AM
Figure that it takes maybe 80 years to produce 1" of topsoil, that would make these pieces 2000 and 2800 years old. Rule of thumb is 1" of topsoil per 100 years, but, down here, stuff never stops growing or decomposing, so I figured 80 years per inch ???

There is layers of a gritty sand, that separate the layers of topsoil, and, I have been told, the grit layers are from the Volcano activity ??? 

There is NO clay-dirt mixed in with the grit.

So there now, you can discount a few years for each layer/depth of volcanic activity, might only be 800 years old. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

OR, could be that it only takes 50 years per inch, EH ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

I bet a lot less per inch than that. Someone once said, in the tropics everything is in the vegetation. Up here in the temperate, it ain't rotting in the frozen winter and we make 1" per 100 years. Some sites here wouldn't even have 12" since the ice age. 'bout 6 inches soil, the rest sand several meters deep. But gotta understand that soil recycles/erosed, it don't just build up for ever. It also compresses.

Ianab

Your volcanic layers look very similar to the local ones. I dont think you can date them by depth like you can normal soil buildup because they are layed down in sudden events at 'random' times.

The layers of gravel will probably be the start of each eruption. They are thrown out at the start of the eruption and hit the ground first. Then layers of lighter stuff settle on top and build up however many inches of new 'soil'. Could be 1" or 3ft at a time

We have a tall road cutting just up the road where the council and some Uni boffins have dated the layers. The cutting is about 30ft tall, and dates about 50,000 years of eruptions. The layers are 2 - 12" and average about every 400 years.

So I dont know how old your stuff is... 250? - 2,500? If there is a record of old eruptions from the local Mts then it might be possible to make a guess based on that?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Burlkraft

I just wanna know who or what ya gonna plant in yer hole ?  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I bet Zelma buried em.   Does Zelma still live near by? 

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D  Selba, yeah, she still lives under the hill.  :D :D :D

Always trying to sell us something.   She made the mistake of showing us Tamales she wanted to sell Reina, and pricing it.  ::) ::) ::)

Reina said she was robbing her customers with such small Tamales at such a high price.  ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Hey, all's fair in love and tamale sales. ;D

LeeB

Those are neat Harold. The big red and white piece looks nearly intact. It really looks a lot like a paint tray. You don't suppose they had paint rollers back then do you? :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Well, I got the name wrong in the beginning, but I remember her.  Remember this day?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20273.0.html

Ianab

You may have discovered a prehistoric tamale stand?  ;)  Selba's ancestors maybe??  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Good lord a mighty, Ian, I sure hope not  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Yeah, EVERY day is a Selba memory. Why, when her assets get below a million er 3, she gets on the Bus, and sells Tamales all the way to Fortuna, gets off IN Fortuna, sells all over town, and sells coming back home.

Come to think about it, maybe that's why they are so small, so she can pack more sales into every piece.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Jeff, if you and Tammy ever split up, I can fix you right up with Selba. You better hurry up, though, cause every time I go to the Ferrateria, in Jicarito, I try to fix up the short dumpy guy in there, with Selba. Everyone in the place gets a kick out of that.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

beav39

sawdust in the blood

Fla._Deadheader

Update:

The dig is about finished. Been hot during the day, so, I been doing it right after daylight and just before dark. Took longer than I wanted, but, raking all the dirt takes a LOT of time, searching for more pieces.  ::) ::)

Ended up with 137 pieces, so far. Might find a couple more as I throw the last of the dirt out of the hole.  ::) ;D ;D

Her's a couple photos of final results.

Several have designs poked into the clay, before firing.

Part of the hole had NO pieces, and part of the hole was fairly rich in pieces. Must be on the very edge of the encampment or village ???  Thought about digging more to the one area, but, too many shovels of dirt to move  ::) ::)

Hole ended up being 12' wide, 40' long, and average 40" deep.
Good exercise, EH ???  ::) ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

OneWithWood

Swamp, I believe that would be called a 'castle' down Florida way.

FDH, are you going to try and piece any of them together?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Not dump as in a dwelling, but a dump as a place to throw refuge and broken up clay pots. ;)

isawlogs

So , Harold mon ami , what s you gonna do with the trench ???  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Got Reina's grand kids coming tomorrow, for a couple days. Gonna see if I can keep 'em busy with the "Puzzle".  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Might try a few fish of some sort, Marcel  ::) ::)  Not exactly sure, at the moment.

Went out this evening, to tidy up the bottom, and ended up not paying attention, and dug down too far, and hit ANOTHER layer  ::) ::) ::)  Got 8 pieces in a 15" X 15" X 14" deep section  ::) ::)  Not really wanting to do another layer  ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

ellmoe

Fla. Deadheader = The New Indiana Jones! ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

Then, I gotta find a better map. Pot shards ain't worth squat  ::) ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

Yeah, but just imagine if you found an intact vessel?  This is really fascinating, but I couldn't help but think that if these pieces are surrounded by volcanic ash, and there are repeating layers of them, then that means you are within striking distance of that volcano.  Does that concern you just a little?   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

MANY resorts AND the entire town of Fortuna, lay at the base of the volcano.
I'm past the worrying stage at my age.

Only vessels that are whole, are usually found in Cemetaries.
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Swamp, the term 'castle' in Florida refers to the large mounds of shells and other refuse left by the ancient inhabitants of the area many moons ago.
One With Wood

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteSwamp, the term 'castle' in Florida refers to the large mounds of shells and other refuse left by the ancient inhabitants of the area many moons ago.

"Mounds" or "Shell Mounds" is the only terminology I have ever heard ???  Hardly ever have anything in them besides shells ???  Many were excavated many years ago, and, unless it was a "Burial Mound", there was little of any value.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The value came from the knowledge that those poor, dumb, ignorant, starving, indiginous, aborigines, in order to survive, sat around a little fire on the beach, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and ate steamed oysters,clams, fish and crab until they couldn't hold anymore and then gathered their loved one up and went home to bed.   Poor suckers!   :D

Fla._Deadheader

Exactly. People today are in a big rush and miss out on the "Value" of things.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Those sites are listed on some maps as castles.  At least that was the case in the late 80's.

Linnea and I spent one entire day trapsing through an area to find one.  If it wasn't for all the other fun we had looking for it we might have been disappointed when we came across just a heap of shells.   ::)
One With Wood

fishpharmer

I hate to get away from the archeology theme :D

But.....How is the fishpond coming along?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

I had a local look at it, and she says it's not deep enough.  smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying

I hate to go down another foot or more, and get into the Archaeology thing, again  ::) ::) :o :o

Right now, it's 3 feet deep on the downhill side. At the present width, it will be tough to get the plastic liner up on top and covered with dirt to hold it, if I go any deeper ???

Suggestions  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

fishpharmer

Why did she say it was not deep enough?

Should be plenty deep  enough for some fish.

Ask her why?

Thank You Sponsors!