iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring cleaning

Started by JV, March 20, 2009, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Warmer weather and ground drying out, so time for spring cleaning and getting ready for the spring and summers work.  I have some odds and ends logs left and today was a good day to start sawing them up.  An elderly neighbor called me last fall to get a poplar tree out of her yard.  The power company had topped it and trimmed all the limbs off.  Her son had tried to drop it with his little saw and ended up just girdling the tree.  It stood this was for a year before someone with a bigger saw dropped it.  The butt log was hollow and I figured the whole thing was stained but what the heck, it was free, down, and she really wanted it out of her yard.  It wasn't as bad as I had figured.  It pretty well maxed out my LT-40 but I was too lazy today to break out the big Alaskan.  The butt was 36" and the other end was 26".  Yielded around 150 plus feet (guesstimate) with some 18" boards.  I'll use it in the shop so the stain is no big deal.  Still have the 3 upper logs to saw.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Tom

What are the trees in the Grove/orchard behind the boards?

JV

Tom

Those are silver maples that I understand were 20' plus when my grandparents bought the place in 1939.  The lane is over 400' long and they are really pretty in the fall.  However, age and ice storms have taken their toll.  The one lone sugar maple will probably have to be dropped and replaced.  The last ice storm pretty much stripped it.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!