iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Ever Build An Easel?

Started by Burlkraft, March 19, 2009, 09:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I have been asked to build a windmill style easel  ??? ???   
I looked for some plans online or even just some dimensions  to no avail.

Help   :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

How are the travelers doin?

Pics of such a beast on

http://www.dickblick.com/products/windmill-revolving-easel/

This what you have in mind?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bedway

I just completed one a few weeks ago for a customer.   bedway

Burlkraft

Kent,
That is the one Jill saw and wants me to build. Gonna buy the clamps from them, but she want me to make the rest.
I think if I had a plan or a better picture of it I could make the rotating bracket in the machine shop at work. The thing is huge and I have never seen one in real life let alone used one  ::) ::)
Her nephew is graduating this year and is taking art in college and she wants this as a graduation present. I think she should have waited at least another month before she asked for this. :D

Bedway,
Did you build one of these  ???

Got any pictures or plans  ???

Radar67

Steve, just use the axle spindle and hub for a boat trailer for the spinning part.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Burlkraft

Quote from: Radar67 on March 19, 2009, 10:23:05 PM
Steve, just use the axle spindle and hub for a boat trailer for the spinning part.

Hey....That's a good idea.   ;D  ;)   I knew you's guy's would be of some help

We haven't sold that axle we have on special yet, mebby I could rob one offa there  :D  :D

Let's keep them good ideas rollin' in.......Better yet, Any volunteers  ???   ;D

I got a desk to finish yet!

isawlogs

Steve if you find plans for that easel canyou let me know from where , I really would like to build one for my daughter . She is finishing her baccalaureate in arts this spring and I was not sure what to get her ... This would be just the thing. Some have built a car out of wood called it da Splinter ,  I can give an easel a try and call it a woosel  .  :P ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ScottAR

Use the axle hub off a 4x4 and you can lock it in any position.

Looking at the example, Put some real casters on it. 
Those in the picture are wimpy. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

An easel I have pictured in my mind is on a tripod. What in tarnation you building?  Mount a Lazy Susan on the thing and spin away. :D ;D

I like your new shield beenthere. That Jeff sure likes to torment the tormented. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Shield?

Found it... that be clever  :D   (does it come in green? )

I googled "hardware windmill easel" and found some of the parts available. In particular, the corner clamps.
Wondered if a TV lazy susan or smaller lazy susan hardware would work for the spinner/rotator hub?  A lock of some kind would seem to be needed.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 19, 2009, 10:30:12 PM
We haven't sold that axle we have on special yet, mebby I could rob one offa there  :D  :D

Let's keep them good ideas rollin' in.......Better yet, Any volunteers  ???   ;D

Send the axle over, I can weld something up to look like Officer Beenthere's picture. ;D
Warning, you may need a fork truck to move it. ;)

Jeff

Burlkraft shoulda kept his mouth shut. Shortly after he posted, Rocky sent me a message to take the axle off of the Truck Part City website because Eggie's sold it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on March 20, 2009, 09:03:06 PM
Shield?

Found it... that be clever  :D   (does it come in green? )

I googled "hardware windmill easel" and found some of the parts available. In particular, the corner clamps.
Wondered if a TV lazy susan or smaller lazy susan hardware would work for the spinner/rotator hub?  A lock of some kind would seem to be needed.

We were figgerin' on buyin' the corner clamps.
The lazy susan is what I'm plannin' on buildin' only it's gonna be indexable to lock say every 10° or so with a spring loaded lock.

Donk,

A tripod easel is what I was thinkin' but I am as out of touch as you are. The one she wants me to build looks like it could go inta space. I even found one online that's magnesium and cabon fiber. This one's gonna be curly maple.

You think WasHere's really tormented  ??? ??? ???

Gary_C

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were asking about building an Edsel and I wondered what you were up to now.   ???

But then I see you are talking about axles.  ::) ::)

I hope it works for you. You could get one of those Edsel grills to go on your Easel too.  ;D ;D ;D

Gary       (the guy that has been without sleep too long)   :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 21, 2009, 12:51:45 AM
Donk,

You think WasHere's really tormented  ??? ??? ???

Nope I was thinking of a member that referred to him as the forum security. Maybe that's who you meant to? ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I dont think I would use a lazy susan, not stout enough, but you could certainly use a swivel seat base like you can get for boat fishing seats. They would work good.

http://store.rkmarina.com/rkmarina/details.php?ITEM=2975020

SwampDonkey

How rugged is this thing going to be? I built an entertainment centre with a pull out TV drawer with a lazy susan on it that supported a 39" TV. You can get all kinds of sized lazy susans.

Jeff

Lazy susan's are designed for the weight pushing from the top, there is no side subjected on them. The easel's weight with the attached art will all be sideways on the swivel. Those lazy susan bearings wont take it. they will flex open and have the bearings fall out. The swivel like on the boat seats are built heavy because they get subjects to forces in all directions.

SwampDonkey

I guess I've not seen what your building, I don't know what plane that the axis of rotation is on. Vertical, or horizontal? From what Jeff said, I guess horizontal. But even a lazy susan has to take forces other than straight down. Anything spinning has a force directed from centre to the outside. Granted your not going to place something on a lazy susan and spin the heck out of it to see how fast it will rotate. :D

Jeff

Picture turning the lazy susan on edge with the base fastened to something, and the top fastened to your t.v.  A large wood framed canvas, plus the weight of that part of the easel and the related clamping devices is quite a lot of torque. Your spinning on a vertical plane, not the Horizontal as with a lazy susan.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but the axis is horizontal. ;D I know what your saying though. Poor wording on my part in my previous post.  ;)

SwampDonkey

I see some lazy susans will take 1000 lb load, but that's straight down of course. But, still, they must be quite rugged I would think. Does it have to be perpetual rotation, or can it be a screw type mechanism that goes from 0 to 360 ° of rotation with a stop at 0 and 360?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Ah, thanks. Easy as eating ice cream. All ya need to special order is those brackets, maybe the casters (but they sell them anywhere) and go take a hydraulic cylinder off the screen door or go down to Lowes and pick a new one out of the bin for $10. Then for the turn table I would just get a pipe threaded for 0 to 360 rotation and weld a mount to it and thread a hollow pipe (of slightly wider diameter) and weld mounting plate on that to. Then I would set up a spring loaded mechanism with stops at each 45 ° of rotation. I see all they are using is a couple threaded knobs for stops on the back of the turn table. Heck when do I build and where do I ship? I sure don't see no $1200 involved. ;D

isawlogs

SD ....How much ??? I am short on time and money :-\  So you need make it cheap and quick she finishes midle of April :D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I can just see you spit'n on the screen from excitement and typing as fast as all get out to get ahead of Steve. Cheap 'ole curmudgeon. I'm dying laughing here. :D :D

Burlkraft

I was gonna use the lazy susan concept only with a shaft and a caged roller bearing

The thing goes vertical and horizontal

www.dickblick.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, just incorporate a shaft or column to adjust up and down, hinge to the top of the column/shaft. Sure gripes me to see a great big price on something made from kitchen hardware.  :-\

isawlogs

That mean you backing out . ???   :-\

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Fla._Deadheader

If I was gonna build it, as difficult a way as he described, I would back out, too.  ::) ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Watch where your stepping in the banana patch.  ;) ;D

isawlogs

SD , you laid the peels down , mon ami . !!!!

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Speaking of which, I whacked down another Nanner tree, recently, and, I been throwin peels out in the field where I been making a BIG hole.  :o :o ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

I hope ya slip on one, ya old fart. Well not really.  ;D :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 21, 2009, 06:30:18 PM

Speaking of which, I whacked down another Nanner tree, recently, and, I been throwin peels out in the field where I been making a BIG hole.  :o :o ;D ;D

What ya gonna do with yer big hole?

Saw a sign at the grocery store da udder day and it said there was a world wide shortage of 'nanners.
That's why the ones they had looked like....well...bad 'nanners.

Ya shouldn't be cuttin' em down !!   :D :D :D

Marcel...
Do ya want me to make 2 of everything I build?
I can tell ya right now tho.....There ain't nuthin' gonna be done by April  :-\

I'm thinkin' of the word belated right now  :D :D :D

Jill says they have some of them easles in the art department at the University of Wisconsin where she works. I'm gonna go in and do some measurin' and picture takin'

I'll make a set of plans as there is nuthin' out there on the Internet to be had, even fer a price :-\

SwampDonkey

I think them nanners only bare once, like a corn stalk. They send up another stem off the root to make new nanners. ;)

pigman

SD, them nanners are naked only if you  remove the peeling. :o ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

They gotta go bare to make new nanners. :D

isawlogs

Steve , sorry if I gave you the impression that I wanted you to build it , I only wanted the location of any plans if ever you found some  If I did give this impression sorry , it must be in the translation and will be dam carefull next time :-\  SwampDonkey offered to build it , then reconsidered   :D 
   But if you do feel like making doubles by all means go ahead ,  ;)

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Oh, I could build it easily enough. Just not the ambition right now, too much jesting maybe. I wanna go cut bushes instead. :D  ;)

Steve, I was wondering for the clamps that slide up and down the fan blades, do you plan on figuring some way of fastening some steel along the slide to keep from wearing into the wood? It would also slide smoother. Of course a guy with all the tools can work on those little details. Personally, I don't have the proper tools but a fellow can figure out something. Something like countersinking some screws in some stainless steel or aluminum. Anyone around there with a bone yard full of "stuff"? Aluminum door/window frames, that kinda stuff. :D

isawlogs

I am going to see a drywall lift , might just buy one of those and modify it . Andréa ( my daughter ) she paints fairly large canvasses , I did not see that these where capable  of 4'X4' or bigger , and she often paints in these sizes .

http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=112411329&img=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.classistatic.com%2Fcps%2Fl%2Fkj%2F09%2F3%2F9%2F494%2Fr5%2F1369mbl_18.jpeg

Aint outa wood , but it might hold up better for what she does , I really dont know I will be looking into it this week  :P

Marcel

Burlkraft

You know what they say...It's just as easy to practice on yours so mine is perfect   :D  :D  :D

If When I do come up with a master plan I'll let ya know.

If When I make the metal mechanical parts I'll make 2 sets. You can then follow my easy directions for the wooden parts  ;)  ;)  ;)

Just doing my part to help relations across our boarder to the North  ;D  ;D  ;D

We may have ta borrow some money from ya!!!

Just remember that it won't be done by April of 2009 but maybe by April 2010  ;D  ;D  :D

Mooseherder

Don't make it too stout.  Jill may strap ya on and spin you when your bad. :D

Burlkraft

SwampDonkey

Speaking of bad actors, there's two of the biggest bad actors right there. ;D

Burlkraft

A little update on this project

It's coming along well. I am working off of some not so good pictures with no measurements.   ::)  ::)  ::)

I have the stand built and I am working on the turntable right now.

All joints are M/T and it's solid as can be and it's not even glued together yet.  :o

Jill has a lot of sanding to do and then it can be assembled.

I just got a new camera, so I can post some pics again.
I'll try to get some today.  ;D  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well.....show'm if ya got'm. ;D  :D

Can't wait to see it progress along. ;)

Burlkraft

Ok...Here's some pictures of the easel

I'm still waiting for the slide brackets for the sides from my machine shop

My first prototype of the swivel base and the great set of plans I have to work from  :D  :D  :D

The pictures are not turned properly because I do not have permission to go to that page  ::)  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

That's some strong glue ya got, to stick that thing to the wall.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

I had to fix those photos, I was getting a kink in my neck

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mooseherder

I see the Desk being put to good use disguised under that sheet. :D
Looks like Guitar Jam. ;D

Burlkraft

Have ya noticed how the desk has turned in ta a bench?  :D  :D  :D

Burlkraft

A quick update here. The easel is finished...well....my part anyway  :)  :)  :)

The construction is done and now it needs to be disassembled and sanded, then oiled and sprayed. Then it needs to be reassembled and taped off and sprayed again  ::)  ::)  ::)

Here's a few pics.......

Fla._Deadheader

Either that Gal is SOME pretty Tall, er, she gonna need a step ladder to paint da sky  ::) ::)

Looks pretty neat, overall.
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

Harold, when she is ready to paint da sky, she can rotate da thing so the sky will be at the bottom.

Looking good Steve. I just knew it would be an easy project for you. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

She's a He and he's 6'2".

Where I have it set when I took the pics the center was at eye level for me and I'm 5' 10".

That is a 48" X 48" frame I have on it. That's about as big as she'll hold  ;D  ;D

Norm

Fla._Deadheader

See there  8)  Details helps.  8) :D :D :D

First, it is ridiculed;

Mooseherder

That is some quality project.  Nice job Steve. 8)

SwampDonkey

Excellent job. I've never seen one before this thread. The puppy looks happy with it, so that's good enough for me.  ;D  8)

isawlogs

Great job Steve , looks like it will do the job just fine . I like the no-grass lawn too.  :)

Marcel

Burlkraft

I grow some GREAT rock around here       EH?    :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!