iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAFETY GLASSES!

Started by thedeeredude, July 19, 2008, 09:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

I got my from the local optometrist....
Some sort of advanced (sunsensor) polycarbonate.  They've held up much better and cause less distortion problems than anything I've purchased "over the counter".
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ErikC

I like the glasses sold by stihl, they seem about as comfortable as wrap around style sunglasses, no distortion I noticed. Not cheap for safety glasses, but still only 12-15 bucks. When I run the mill or brush-cutter I wear a faceshield and earmuffs combo, the faceshield is mesh and it is pretty nice, good visibility and no moisture. It isn't a real good one, Woodys I think, but nice enough and around 20-25 bucks.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

I've used them shields Erik, but the finer brush saw dust comes up under, and in our northern latitude they are hard to see through from late September on with the low sun causing glare. I wear ear plugs in summer, and can wear the muffs in winter, but too hot in summer for me. Lots of guys do wear them here though as well as the shields. Water runs off me like rain in the summer and early fall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

The muffs are a little hot in summer, but earplugs don't seem to work as good. I see chips and sawdust and all kinds of debris bouncing off that shield all the time, so I do like having my whole face covered anyway. We don't have high humidity, in the summer it can be under 10% most of the time. That makes all the difference.  But no smoking or we'll all burn up! :o
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

I don't smoke, but almost every bush whacker I work with does. But, our summers are not supper dry, last year we had 30 % more rain than normal. Carry ansil packs and pith-cans. There was water laying everywhere last summer even on the best growing ground. Had to be on a side hill to keep your feet dry. :D  I prefer a little bit of hill, them trees drop nice and easy when you trip'm. ;D I know some folks can't stand earplugs, some folks get ear infections easy. I never has an ear ache in my life. Aside from the odd bush knocking a plug out, I like them quite well. Not those ones you squeeze and roll between your fingers, the ones with the little stems on them. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

These little guys. ;D

A little flattened by the scanner maybe. ;)

DWM II

Yep, those are my favorite ear plugs, got a pair hanging on the sawmill, tractor, lawnmower, weedeater, etc.  I do have my favorite pair of safety glasses also, their a very slight tint indoor and outdoor kinda thing. Just dark enough to cut the outdoor glare and light enough to wear inside.
Stewardship Counts!

SwampDonkey

DWM, can't you get a kind of necklace thing that attaches to the tip of the stem, so if it falls out of your ear it ain't lost in the saw dust or leaves? I usually grab about 50 from the saw dealer each spring and stuff in my saw tool kit.

DWM II

All mine are attached to a string, thats how I tie'em to each piece of equipment so I dont have an excuse for not wearing them. :)
Stewardship Counts!

chipsfly09

The more I pay for them- the quicker I lose them or break them-- All fog up-- especially under welding helmet or while sawing-- I still try to find a pair to wear.  My dad keeps telling me to get a pair of glasses with clear lenses to wear all the time to get used to keeping them on and have eye protection all the time.  In addition to being more diligent about wearing protective chaps (after seeing the carved up ham in the "no chaps" demo) I'm going to do better with the glasses-- ok with hearing protection and s toe boots-- hope everyone will !  Thanks forum

Dan_Shade

i've kind of taken a liking to the dewalt safety glasses.

I was tinkering today trying to hand cut a dovetail, and while wacking a section with a chisel, the safetly glass took a direct hit!  saved me a hassle dealign wtih that :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Climber

Best safety glasses are "Black Widow" from Stihl. They come in dark, slightly smoked and yellow. They never fall down, no matter what.
I like them so much I even skiing with them.

I buying by boxes (10 pares) so all my guys using them too. I'm paing $80 for a box.
Try you WILL love it.

Thank You Sponsors!