iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine sap once air dried?

Started by Tim/South, March 15, 2009, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim/South

Does SYP have a problem with sap once it is air dried? 
I am not sure if it needs to be 'set' in a kiln to prevent pitch problems if the stock was going to be used in building a table?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Tim

Tom

You would be safer Setting the Pitch.  Pine will weep for years and sometimes has pockets that hold handfuls of sap.  Not to say that tables haven't been made with air-dried pine with much success, but, to be certain, set the sap.

ErikC

I built an outdoor counter with a sink in it for the garden out of very dry pine. One morning after I was out there and set a pot of hot water on it.  I guess it revived some pitch, the pot cooled before I picked it back up, and it was a kinda stuck. For in the house I'd set it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

kelLOGg

Our 28 yr old house was floored with recycled heart pine from an old house and had never been kiln dried. Parts of the floor still ooze sap. Fortunately, it is not in a high traffic area.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Tim/South

Thanks for the replies.
From what I understand the table/work bench will be used indoors. I was asked about the sap and did not know the answer.
Nothing better than asking those who have "been there, done that".

Thank You.

Greenie

A pine mill I visited told me that 160 degrees will crystallize pine sap.

Tom

It will until the pine is then exposed to 165 degrees.  The setting of pitch is usually identified with a temperature that covers the exposure that the wood will generally have to live in.

I'm sure there must be a point where there are no more volatiles left, but you would probably also be left with charred wood.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!