iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jag o' wood

Started by pappy, August 09, 2003, 01:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

OK we gots "whacks a lumber" but before that you got ta have a "jag o wood"

back in the ole days when I was a lumber scaler the crews (loggers) would say I gots a good jag a wood today huh??

Here's what they was talking about. Somes folks would say that's just a pile a logs, wrong it's a Jag.

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Jeff

Nope. Jags is a foreign term that we cant relate too.
 onewithwood will think you are talking about cars.

Tom and Charlie will think you are talking about a florida football team and that will start an argument on Zebra stripes because there was some sort of animal reference.

All I can think about was an old gas station that we referred to as jags. "Jacks Amoco Gas Station

2 whacks you got there. Clearly.  :)
For a full understanding of whacks go here
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1006903197;start=8
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Sic 'em, Jeff,  sic 'em.  Woof  Woof
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sometimes this place gets SOOOO DanG technical, it scares me to open up a thread !! :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

:)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smwwoody

It can only be refered to as a JAG once it is on the truck and at this  point you MUST break something on the truck ie. spring, stake, tire or something to show that you are way overloaded then you can say   Boy sure got a JAG on there  

:o :o :o
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

pappy

I guess I am tooooo technical at times  ::) so I went to see Mr. Webster himself and this is what he said

I think #3--#1 works here

#2whack---#1 out of whack so the way I perceive it a whack is just a pile of throne stuff???

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

ohsoloco

Maybe it's a northeast thing...jag is a common term for all types of wood around here (firewood, logs, lumber, etc...)  :)

Bibbyman

I too have heard "jag" used to indicate a load of about anything.  Never heard the term "whack" except when they were talking about my cousin Lois.  She was a bit whacko.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I like Whack because it was invented here, eh? :D

AndyB

Did webster saw whacks or did he write books? ??? ???

Mark M

The term whack has universal appeal because it so eloquently describes a quantity in such a way as to not require an expression of uncertainty, nor does it require the consideration of significant digits. By letting the degree of uncertainty approach infinity we eliminate the complexity normally associated with precision and accuracy in measurement. As Jeff so astutely observed, he did not find a single instance of error in cases where the whack unit was used. As he succinctly said "I could find no whack offs". I seriously doubt if the same thing could be said about jags.

;) Mark ;)

Haytrader

Mark,

That was to deep for me.
You gotta quit usin them big words. Remember, we are just "good ol boys" (and gals) and ain't used ta them great big words.
Besides, ya durn near embarrassed me.
Haytrader

Mark M

Don't feel bad Haytrader, I couldn't understand what I was saying either :D

ARKANSAWYER

Well "jag" is a common term used here in the Ozarks but Mr. Webster was wrong in calling it a "small load".   Here it refers to a good days work or a blown tire, busted spring or the trailer sunk and had to use 4x4 to get out.  A jag of logs would easily produce a whack of lumber stacked or not.  A jag of fire wood, unlike a rick, might keep you warm all week.  Here we under stand what is implied just like if you were to say "We's fetched that there jag of logs up yonder and pert near busted a gut getting out!"  
  This would be a whack of lumber sawn from a jag of logs.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Minnesota_boy

Gee, more regional differences in the meaning of words.  In was taught that a jag was anything less than a full load of logs.  The way to tell if it was a jag or a full load was to check if anything broke.  Noting broke, just a jag.  Broke spring or axel, full load. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

pappy

ARKANSAWYER,
You said it just the way I ment it to be!!
"This would be a whack of lumber sawn from a jag of logs."

Minnesota_boy--"regional differences in the meaning of words"

Don't mean to start any troubles but The north part of Me. some call it a "cant dog" ( the ole' river drivers) and down in the southern part they call it a "peavey".

Never the less here is a good link to alot of logging tools.

http://www.peaveymfg.com/loggingtools.htm

chet

I have to agree with Minnesota_boy. But to a yooper a jag can allso have another an probably more common referance.   ;D  "Yup I left dat dar bar last night with half a jag on, but da buddy dar, he's goin' ta have a purdy ruff one tomorrow. He left with a full jag."   :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Percy

Just got back from a holiday and this is the first thread I read...Im bustin a gut :D :D :D :D

All these posts about Jags and Whacks.....I think whut we got here is a bigggass JAG of WHACK(o)S.....no offence intended.....just adding my intelligence(or lack of) to this post :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

dail_h

Not to cause confusion,but in the original picture contains ---
   1.one SHOT of large to mediumlogs
   2.about one and five sixteenths of small logs
   Jags is mostly just northern shots
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Sawyerfortyish

Ok Termite heres one I would like to know how come down east (Maine) refers to the most up north state on the east coast? Maybe it's your long "wacked" out winters ::)

woodhaven

I got all you all beat.
I always thought a Jag was a car. ( Jaguar XKE)
Richard

Sawyerfortyish

I thought jag was a snowmobile :-/ and a wac was a woman in the army

pappy

Sawer40

Maine is the most northern state on the east coast.

It's referred to as "down east" cause when sailing east you're going down wind.  Look at a map of Maine with the longest coast in one state on the eastern seaboard. If you are sailing from Rockland to Machias you're sailing "down east". So the phrase.   :)

Yup sometimes people up here do go "whacko" it's called cabin fever, if'n you don't go to a sunny state for a week or two during the winter months you'll definitely get cabin fever. :D :D :D

Sawer40
Do you snowmobile cause we get sledders from your neck of the woods?

Sawyerfortyish

Termite I do snowmobile but mostly right here on my farm and neighbors adjoining farms just can't seem to get away from the mill or firewood or logging. Always somthing thought about going to tug hill N.Y.but never got there yet everyone else goes. ahh the joys of being your own boss take off whenever you want yea right. Dads got a camp on a pond in the northeast kingdom of VT 3 miles long a mile wide and it's only a pond! haven't been there in a long time I need a vacation

Thank You Sponsors!