iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting pitch in Nyle

Started by brdmkr, March 14, 2009, 11:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I just about have the kiln chamber finished and I started uncrating the kiln today.  I brought the manual in to read up on operation and schedules.  I need to dry a good bit of SYP and I will need to set the picht.  I was surprised that there was nothing about this in the manual.  Do you just dry accoding to the schedule and then turn the heat up to 160?  If so, how long do you need to hold this temp?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jimF

setting the pitch is more productive if you do it starting at the beginning of drying.  The pitch actually mixes with the water and comes out more completely than if you wait until the lumber is dry.

DR_Buck

I always do it at the end of the drying cycle in my DH-4000.   First I run the RH control all the way up (90%) to keep from drawing out any more water.  Then I raise the temp to 160° for 24 hours.   This sets the pitch and kills bugs.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

scsmith42

I do it the same way as Dr. Buck.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

karl

We do it at the finish- turn off the compressor (Nyle 200) and heat to 160 with a space heater(faster and cheaper than elec)for 24hr.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!