iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smallest square log for walls

Started by RandyL, March 14, 2009, 06:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyL

Gid'day lads, I'm wanting to build some smaller structures using dovetail notches and I'm curious to know what the largest cabin/structure  I can get away with by using 6" x 8" timbers. I have access to lenghts up to around 16'.  The guy also has 8"x10" but being new and being that the price climbs quite a bit for the difference in sizes, I'm wanting to just play around with the 6"x8" for now. I know the International Log Builders Association calls for nothing smaller than an 8" in diameter but they are also talking about residential construction, not so much sheds and cabins.  So if anyone has any advice, tips or whatever I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

RandyL

sawdust

Evening Randy, maybe I'm missing something here. If your longest timber is 16' then you could build a 256 square foot cabin. I cannot suggest how to splice a timber but you could put a jog in the wall that would give you another almost 16 feet. Many of your timbers will be much shorter as you will have windows and doors.
David

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

RandyL

Hi David, I'm thinking with so many views any only one response, I probably didn't explain myself very well. ;D
What it is I'm asking is if there are any building codes stating what length of a certain diameter squared log is allowed for building an exterior wall, as well as how many courses high a person can go. I'm assuming that if a person can build a wall using 2x6 studs then a 6x8 wall is obviously stronger, so I would think that I could go as long as I wanted. But I'm really curious as to what the norm and acceptable standards are for certain sizes.
I'm really not good at explaining myself sometimes, hopefully I didn't make it worse.  ;D
I'm dovetailing by the way with a small gap.
I'm most likely going to stop by the municipal building office as well to see if they have any answers and advice.

Thanks,
Randy

ARKANSAWYER

I have done large houses with 6x8 timbers in Appalachion style, many cabins and homes are done with them.  Timbers up to 26 ft long to do 24x24 cabins.
  Here cedar logs are machined to 5 1/2 to 5 1/2 and up 16 ft long.  I have had customers build cabins with 4x4's before.  Do not know of any building codes agin it but then codes do not really apply here.
ARKANSAWYER

TW

Here in the Nordic countries we build using logs sawn on two opposite faces. The live edges are scribe fitted together. The corners are either double notch or dovetail notch. The slab thickness is normally 5 to 7 inches. Each log is pegged at about 3 meter intervals and in both ends using 1 1/2 inch diameter wooden pegs.

It is hard to build a free standing wall longer than about 10 meters in this manner. The height limit is maybe three stories or so.

With 16' logs you can build a wall 16' long. It is not recommended to scarf the first log nor the plate log unless the building is too large to be built with full length logs. The other logs can be scarfed if done staggered. Normally proper scarves are used in sill log and plate log while the rest are joined with tongue and groove in the ends. Each log end should of cause be pegged to the log below to keep the tongue and groove joint from separating.

With square logs there is no long groove stabilizing the wall so I suggest that you build nothing large.

okie

Quote from: TW on March 31, 2009, 11:57:03 AM
With square logs there is no long groove stabilizing the wall so I suggest that you build nothing large.
Are you refering to the scribe groove?  I would think the square face of a squared up log would be more stable, especially if a spline is used as an air barrier between courses ???
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Thank You Sponsors!