iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tungsten Carbide planer knives

Started by tyb525, March 14, 2009, 06:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I recently came across an ebay listing of "Craftmaster 82mm tungsten carbide planer blades". Now my planer takes 12 1/2" knives, but I was wondering if tungsten carbide knives are worth the money and if they are any better than HSS.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ironwood

If they are in fact what is stated in the add, then YES. I have a Esta Desposa system on my Powermatic  24" planer. I was not impressed w/ their HSS, would NEVER buy the system again, BUT I spent the $ on the Tungsten and they have been worth the money. Now mind you my knives are VERY thin so the cost difference for solid Tung may be too high, but for my upgrade (from a mediocre system to start) it was worth it. Can you tell I am NOT impressed w/ Esta? ::) I finally bought a knife grinder in the last few months and may switch back to standard HSS full size blades after 8-10 years of Esta. My planing is admittedly tough, w/ bark inclusions, edges and such, but sometimes right out of the box the Esta HSS things would chip just looking at my planing jobs ::) ;D. I suppose if you are doing soft wood, or all dimensional softer hardwoods it might work but I am not impressed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Well sounds like I should look at a set or a few then. ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Left Coast Chris

I take my 15" planer knives to a very good sarpening shop that has been around for years.  They only sell high grade HSS.  There are different grades.  I bought a set of AMANA German made HSS kinves from them for my jointer.  They are way better than the Grizzly knives that came on it.   I was supprised that they did not recommend carbide kinves but they said too many customers complain of chiping or edge breakage.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

Full on carbide blades are really expensive too.

Ironwood

carbide=long lasting but "brittle" medium. Hence breakage.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Isn't tungsten carbide a little less brittle?

Ironwood

Possibly as my knives had up better than I expected

Ironwood

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: tyb525 on March 15, 2009, 10:31:42 AM
Isn't tungsten carbide a little less brittle?

Tungsten carbide = carbide.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!