iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greek Food

Started by Bro. Noble, March 13, 2009, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Anybody know anything about Greek food or cooking?  What sorta stuff do they like to eat?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Anything cooked in Greece.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Don't know. Were there any cook books by Bruno Gerussi? Oh wait, he's Canadian born, Italian roots. Oh well, at least he was a wood carver. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ1EhGqVwa8

Bro_Noble, you have to know this guy was an actor who played a Greek log salvage operator in Gibson's BC, an actual place. He was born in Medicine Hat, Alberta. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Noble, are you going to Greece, or having visitors?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

We like Greek food. Lamb, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, feta cheese, greens, green or katmala olives are some common flavors almost everybody is familiar with. Gyro sandwiches, those in the pita bread, come from Greece.

One of our favorite recipes: Boneless leg of lamb, cut the strings and unroll it. Put on a mixture of minced garlic, fresh spinach, feta cheese and olive oil. Roll it back up and retie, season the top with more minced garlic, rosemary and salt,  then cook in a pan surrounded by red potatoes at about 350 for a couple hours. 

digin1 digin1 digin1
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Dave Hanny

Just ate at the local Greek restaurant (real Greeks, very secret and protected recipes!) last week.

The absolute end-all, be-all of their dinner menu - the one thing that everyone raves about, too - is the lamb chops.   They were great, but it wasn't enough to fill me, lol.

here is a link to the menu: http://www.greekislandstaverna.com/menus.html#
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

Tom

Mostly I like the Greek desserts.  They are honey sweet and goo-ood.

Greek wines are pretty good too.

I'm still partial to grits, and I think that collards are a lot better than grape leaves.  :D

DanG

I don't like Greek food.  I also don't like Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Canadian, English, Spanish, German, Zimbabweian, Iranian, Vietnamese, or Turkish food.  French food tastes pretty good but it makes you think funny and I avoid it.  I like American food.  Now, having said all of that, and hoping that I've made my position clear, Greek people have a real knack for cooking good American food.  They can really fry up a good piece of fish!

But, I have digressed.  Why do you ask, Bro. Noble?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ironmower

We had a Greek family that lived here for years and they raised goats & lambs for their restaurant. They know how to fix it! ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Bro. Noble

Quote from: DanG on March 13, 2009, 11:54:32 PM
Why do you ask, Bro. Noble?

Well,  I don't expect visitors and I'm not scheduled to go anywhere except to the woods and the milk barn.  I may however get a Greek daughter-in-law and I'm just worried about how well she would do helping take care of me in my old age.. ;)

I'm going to see if my wife will try some of those dishes,  but to be honest,  the only one that really appeals to me is the Greek wine :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Congrats on the possible addition to your family.  I hope it works out for them.

The hands-down best seafood chef I've ever enjoyed is Angelo Petrandis. He and his wife graduated high school with me, and they own Angelo's Seafood Restaurant on the Gulf coast south of Tallahassee.  Back when I used to blow a lot of money in restaurants, I would call and find out if Angelo was cooking that evening before I would drive 50 miles to go there.  He had a 50' boat, and would frequently be out fishing, which was a major reason his food was so good.  Come to think of it, most of my favorite eateries were run by Greek people.  I'm sure there are probably some Greeks that can't boil water, but chances are good that you'll be fat and happy in your upcoming dotage. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DouginUtah

I've heard that they like Pi.
:D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

DanG

Only if they R square.

breederman

So why ARE pies round?
Together we got this !

Paul_H

They fit better in the pie pans.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Tom

When it rains it pours, so say the salt of the earth.

pigman

I have no idea what y'all are talking about, it is all Greek to me. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Sun, sun, sun, and 36F today. I've walked 8 miles today. ;D

Tom

sun, sun, sun and 75 degrees.  I must've rocked 8 miles today.

SwampDonkey

breederman

After all that walkin and rockin you boys deserve a pie. :D
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Cup of tea or something, eh? :)

Thank You Sponsors!