iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carb adjustments on MS 460 with dual port exhaust cover?

Started by Great Big, March 13, 2009, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Big

I recently picked up a Stihl 460. I've run it a little........wow.  Big change from the 029!

I got the dual port exhaust cover but have not put it on.  Just what needs to be done to the carb?  Should I take it back the shop and have them do it?  Does it need to be adjusted using a tach?
I'm a little leary to slap on the new exhaust cover and not adjust the carb correctly  and end up screwing up a brand new saw.

Brandes Farm Trophy Whitetails Est. 1999
Managing for Quality Whitetails in Southeast Ohio

Ed

The last one I did ran a little fast after the cover was put on and the primary port opened up.
Since my tach is dead and I don't have the tools to remove the limiter caps, I told the owner to take it back to the dealer......he didn't.
The saw is still kicking tail 1 1/2 years later, I doubt he'll ever have it re-adjusted.
Two weeks after doing the 460, I did his 660....  :D

I would do a little more than just install the dp cover.  ;D
Remove the muffler from the saw and drill  6 or 8 5/16 diameter holes in the baffle, some guys remove it completely. The primary port also needs to be opened up. Remove the screen and use a dremel or die grinder to do this. I put the screen back when finished. See the pic, that is the port size to shoot for (original dp rear cover on my saw). You can also buy the rear muffler if you dont want to mess with it.

Ed

ErikC

After having done about the same thing as ed described I adjusted the high setting a little. Just hearing that saw run puts a smile on most peoples face. I've been doing a couple days of tree work, running a small stihl and echo cs3000, but fired up the 460 to cut a big alder down yesterday. After I turned it back off, the owner was there watching me. He said "What saw is that? From down at the house I thought you were up here racing a hotrod" ;D  I was, I told him. ;D ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Rocky_J

Here's the carb adjustment instruction page again. Everyone would be well served to bookmark this page for future reference. It's also much easier than trying to explain it over and over and over.  ;)

http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

Thank You Sponsors!