iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board feet in framing a house

Started by simonmeridew, March 12, 2009, 07:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

How many board feet would you use in framing the average two story stick-built house, say 2000 square feet?  Just looking for a ball park figure. We are thinking of skidding out some logs this summer and having them milled out for a house for my son and his family. No plans yet just looking ahead to the summer. Spring comes late here and we're doing some dreaming.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

blaze83

just estimating what it took to build our shop, 2 stories around 2100 square feet, I'm thinking it was around 17000 BF.......that is including the bf for the headers beams and 1X 8 sub floor material.   House might be about the same if you buy subflooring. I have no interior walls to speak of, so there will be more bf for them of course.

hope it helps,

Steve,

PS  if you have a wet rainy day or 2, build a scale model of the house....it worked good for my shop, I could change things and get a real acurate count of my materials, I have pics in my gallery.
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

tyb525

You could also try Google SketchUp for making a model.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

For a ruff estimate , count 1(one) 2x6 per foot of wall , it will also give you enough for headers and plates . This does not count the floor joist ,trusses or siding .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

moonhill

I use around 8,000-10,000 feet for a timber frame yielding a 2000 square foot building.  That is no sheathing, just the frame.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ErikC

Last year I cut a post and beam frame, decking for roof and second floor, infill studs and gable siding, and porch materials and roof and I think it was around 20,000 bf. That was about a 2000 sq foot house.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!