iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conditioning?

Started by woodhick, March 12, 2009, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have a load of poplar in the kiln now.  Kiln is a Nyle L200 in an insulated truck body.  Load is 1,000 board feet of 4/4" poplar.  I have dried poplar and cherry before but was wandering if any of you do any type of conditioning at the end of the run.  The poplar I dried last time was ok but the cherry I dried was 7-8% on the outside but if I resawed a piece into two 1/2" thick pieces it measured about 20% inside.  I put it back in the kiln and raised the temp with compressor off and allowed it to "equalize" some and it seemed to help.     So to save some steps on this load when I get down into the 7-8% range (using two samples and the oven dried method, and not just a meter)  should I  do anything to "equalize" or condition the lumber before removing it.  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

oakiemac

If you talk to Nyle, they will tell you that conditioning is generally not needed in a DH kiln but I have had casehardening problems with white oak. Check to see if it is stressed by cutting out a U shaped piece with a band saw and if the ends bend then it is stressed. The manual tells you how to do this.
I add conditioning by pouring water on floor and letting it evaporate. A better way is to mist the air with pump and nozzles.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!