iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first load of lumber!

Started by WoodChucker, August 07, 2003, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

It's my first real load of lumber (red pine), the only other stuff I've milled has been red oak. I must say I like sawing the oak much more then the pine.

Anyway, any advice on the way I have it stacked and how it's setup on the blocks and post?  It's about 18" off the ground and I'm using 3/4"X1" stickers spaced about every 16". I had to use 3/4" plywood for some of the stickers because I didn't have enough of anything else that was dry, this ok?

http://www.thewoodchucker.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/redpine.jpg.w300h225.jpg

I plan on using it to make a few cabinets for my saw mill shed (un-heated)  and then some for cabinets in my woodworking shop that gets heated part of the year, and I may use it on the walls in a few spots instead of drywall so I have a good nailing surface.  How long do you think it will take air drying in my shed before I can use it? Thanks! :)

R.T.

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Mark M

Wow - that sure is a purdy stack of lumber! Looks like you did a great job.

Mark

BBTom

You being located way up there where the shed doesn't get very hot, I might suggest a fan blowing on your stack of lumber.

Seeing as how that be pine, there isn't any worry about drying too fast.  Should be ready for outdoor use in a couple months.

Nice job of building a stack.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Fla._Deadheader

Only thing I might do, is, put a fan at one end. Nice job.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

Nice job with that stack, just remember that stack is a whack, not a load, of lumber. :D

tucked into a corner there might not be enough air flow to keep from stain or mold.  In the future you could try to stack outside for awhile, then inside to finish.  Double stacking is lots of work but sometimes is needed to reduce stain/mold problems.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dewwood

WC

Nice job on stacking the whack o lumber!  Ditto the air movement advice, constant air through the stack will help tremendously with minimizing problems.  

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Jeff

We might have to whip out the ole whack rules again. Looks like some of the members don't know about them. ;D  

That may be the prettiest whack stack i ever did see.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

stacked whack shows no lack of knack.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone, trust me I'll remember the whack rule from now on.. lol.

Oh and I do have two fans blowing on my WHACK of wumba.  ;D  There just out of camera view.

R.T.

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

woodhaven

I agree with everyone else that is the prettist most even stack of lumber I ever seen in my life. If the stickers were a little thicker you could use it for shelfs just as it sits. Watch out for stain and warp you don't won't nothing strange to happen. I even saved the picture just to look at.
Richard

WoodChucker

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Quotelol, you guys are nuts!
Looks like somebody seached for and found the origins of the whack rules eh?

woodhaven

Hey FDH that "whack" must be a YANKEE thing.
Richard

Wes_in_West_MI

Nice whack/stack!

My only advice would be like others have said.  Plenty of airflow and weight it down.  Red pine loves to twist.  I had a half-a-wack stored in the barn on a hay wagon one winter and had a mold problem.

You might want to set the pitch when you are done as red pine knots like to bleed sap in warm weather.

That would be a nice advertising photo for the LT-15!

Jeff

O.K. Woodchucker. I got a beef. I was just enjoying your website. Pretty nice. Til I got to the links page. Need I say more? ;)

WoodChucker

QuoteO.K. Woodchucker. I got a beef. I was just enjoying your website. Pretty nice. Til I got to the links page. Need I say more? ;)

How could I miss that?  Guess I must be getting old. It's there now! :)

R.T.

Minnesota_boy

I think that is a beautiful stack, and I think the amount of stickers is overkill.  the only time I have to sticker pine that close together is when it is going directly from mill to kiln.  Most of the time my pine is stickered every 4 feet.  :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Left_Coast_Rich

The stack or whack looks great!  Is that enough weight on top to keep the lumber straight? ;D
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

WoodChucker

Minnesota_boy,

really?  So your saying for an 8' board I could have gotten by with just using 3 stickers? I was going by only what I've read, I must have overlooked that some how. Thanks for the info, I'm all for saving time and labor. :)

R.T.

Minnesota_boy

Most of the time the red pine will dry staight enough with only 3 stickers on an 8' long board, and if it won't, you probably won't hold it with more stickers either.  ;D  Red pine usually dries out before it sags between stickers.  Hardwoods are a bit different and need stickers closer together, but still probably not that close.  I've been using 4 stickers on an 8' pile for the hardwsoods and people keep calling me to come back and saw more, so it must turn out alright. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dail_h

Very nicely stacked whack.I counted it,and did the rithmatik----comes to zactly a shot andfive thirty seconds.I know we use whacks here on the FF,but I still think in shots,and have to convert.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

WoodChucker

This is getting complicated, so how many shots = a whack? And if you can stack a whack, can you whack a stack?  ;D

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!