iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying cants and beams

Started by SDM, March 10, 2009, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDM

hello everyone,....was wondering if there's any trick or special things I should know when drying large cants & beams.  Mostly yellow pine & oak...all different lengths...

Thanks  Shawn

beenthere

SDM
Can you tell us more about the recent history of the beams (fresh sawn, removed from storage, etc) and what you intend to use them for, and to what moisture content you want to dry them.

Need some info Shawn.  thanks   :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

Well, in general I can add that the same principles as any air drying apply. The ideal situation is good airflow, and no direct sun. The bigger the beam, the slower it will dry obviously, but the Internal moisture content-outer moisture content difference can really cause them to check and warp if you try and hurry it along too much.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SDM

thanks for the info... they haven't been cut yet. I own a tree service and have a lot of old growth pine an oak. Beams seemed like a good way to started. I'll be air drying the wood for now. I've got 200+ logs, lots of help and equip. to save the already tired back...
thanks again
shawn

epiphoneprs

Shawn,
      Will you be cutting these beams yourself? I'm in Toccoa if you need help. Hugh

robnrob2

Well as soon as I get any pine I square it,, Cant,,because BUGS love it,,  then I stacvk it up in the pole barn, with stick spacers between each,, here in Florida, summer specially, they will mildew/mold,,, I once in a while will spray bleach on them to keep that in check,,, Now when I have need I put the cant back on the mill and just slightly skim the surfasces with the blade to get all the discoloration off,,,But on some beams they have twisted slightly during there drying process,, so then I have to just trim them a bit, to get them tru again..The oak may not fair that well because of the density of it, and you may have some real deep checking in it,, Oak is better off being milled into 4/4 etc,,,,,
Shawn, just make sure you dont waist time with Live Oak,,

Thank You Sponsors!