iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fishers here!!

Started by Ironmower, March 08, 2009, 08:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

A friend called me the other evening and said, he had something in his trap he ain't never seen before. I went to check it out and low-an-behold here its a fisher :o :o I've only seen pictures of them before now. I here they are fairly common deeper in W.V. and are ferocious "little boogers". Been herein' rumors that they were traded for turkeys in another state ::) most likely a bunch of B.S. :-\ Any of you fellas know more about this or the animal ??? I would love hear about it  8)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

fishpharmer

I read about them in my trapping days.  Don't have em around here.  I would love to see a picture.

I always thought they were way up north.  I guess Fishers haven't been reading the news about the global warming. :D ;D

Thanks for sharing.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mike_Barcaskey

they have become a fairly common catch in certain areas of PA
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dave Shepard

We have them here in Western Mass. They are in the same family as weasels, wolverines, and I think the mongoose. All very ferocious animals. I read in the paper last week that they think most of the small pets that are disappearing are due to fishers, not coyotes, as previously thought.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dutchman

Fishers were released in portions of  Pennsylvania to help control Procupine population.
They prey on other smaller game,when opportunity arrises.

Dan_Shade

aren't they considered nuisances and invasive species in some states?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Left Coast Chris

We have them in the forests around here along with an occasional Martin.  The Fishers are not in high numbers but they have been caught on biology research cameras going after bait tied to trees.   The California Fish & Game Dept. is planting some in our area according to one article.  I believe they are listed as "threatened" so they want the numbers to come up.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ErikC

We have them here alright. They are hell on squirrels, and thus bobcats. >:( They were encouraged to rid the woods of porcupines that killed all the trees in some timber plantations. There are no porcupines now, when I was a kid we had them around a lot. Mostly in the dog's face >:( I have caught them with hounds twice, accidentally of course.  Had to let them both go ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Piston

I had heard we had some in central MA but never saw one until 2 yrs ago.  I was sitting in my treestand near a small creek, right at the break of a pine grove, small field, and the start of mixed hardwoods.  I heard something comin down the hillside towards me, sounded more like a squirrel than a deer so I didn't think much of it.  I slowly turned my head around to my right just to watch the squirrel for some simple entertainment.  About 15 yards away from the tree I was sitting in, I saw a fairly long, skinny blackish/brownish.........thing rustling around in the leaves...I didn't know at the time it was a Fisher and didn't even think it might be.  I vividly remember it circling 2 small maples by doing a figure 8 pattern around them, it only went around them once and then started back up the hill and i never saw it again.  not sure if it caught my scent or was going that way anyways....
I probably only observed it for 10-20 seconds total, it was quick but not in the sense that it was running around scared.  later on that afternoon i asked my father about it, he said it was probably a fisher so i looked it up in a "new england wildlife" encyclopedia and sure enough it looked the same...
never did see one again but it was one of the neatest things to observe in the woods, i'll never forget that little rascal.....
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

I've seen them mostly in mature softwood timber lands near streams. Once in awhile crossing a road, both in remote areas and just down the road here. Have not seen one for quite a long time. We have tons of quill dogs, and fisher are the most likely to take them out. Just saw a set of quill dog prints heading to a stand of tamarack today.  :-X Any old abandoned building, rock pile or windrowed brush from land clearing houses those darn things. The fishers can eat every dang one of'm as far as I'm concerned. Run into them all the time in fir thickets, look up and the "tree badger" is right there in your face or 5 feet over your head.  :-X >:( DOH! In the back yard they stripped a 14 " rock maple and 4 fir tree tops a couple winters ago. Not pleased. A couple winters ago they chewed on the stumps of  a lot of my spruce and got into my older cedar tops. You guys say owls take hollow trees for home, I've seen 10 times more porcupines in them hollow trees than owls.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

I have some on my property that I see all the time by the streams. They are nasty critters & they will attack you if they feel cornered. Don't have any puddy cat problems here. If it looks like a little bear it's a Fisher....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ErikC

They are amazingly fast. If you think squirrels are fast, a fisher can literally chase them down up in the trees. They are essentially 15 Lb weasels. Not something to get mixed up with if you can help it. When we treed them with hounds, they were furious. I'm glad they stayed up there where they couldn't eat us. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ErikC

Quote from: cheyenne on March 12, 2009, 08:29:57 PM
I have some on my property that I see all the time by the streams. They are nasty critters & they will attack you if they feel cornered. Don't have any puddy cat problems here. If it looks like a little bear it's a Fisher....Cheyenne
Are you sure they aren't wolverines? How big an animal is it? Fishers don't remind me of bears at all, but wolverines do.

cheyenne

Wolverines are black & white, the Indians call them Devil Bears none on the east coast that I know of. Fishers are brownish black & run 15 to 20 lbs and are super fast which is why people don't often see them. They also sound like a baby crying. Then you have the Badger which is another nasty little snot....Cheyenne

ErikC

All the critters out there aren't warm and fuzzy, are they? Nature is hardcore. :)

cheyenne

People can confuse the pine martin with the fisher as they are very similar but the martin is only 3 lbs & has a cream colored patch on his throat with a long bushy tail.....Cheyenne

SwampDonkey

Those little martens were as thick as squirrels at the lumber camp. The kitchen staff would set out some snacks in the pool hall and those slippery buggers would find a way through the doors and snatch the snacks off the plate. Cookies and such. One morning a fellow left his sandwich sack unattended in the pickup, with window rolled down while he went to the dry shed for his gear or whatever. Came back and climbed into the pickup and one came out of the sandwich sack and got a little squirrelly for a moment until he found his way out the window. :D  :D

Some people have confused fisher for black cougars  ::) when sighting them a long way off. Usually influenced by a beverage or two.  ;)

Starting to get a few otters up on the woodlot with all the beaver ponds around.

Had a mink steal my trout off my stringer when fishing on a  remote lake we had to walk an hour to. Kinda nice when you can follow deer paths at least part way. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tim L

Were not lacking in Fishers or Porcupines,so maybe they developed a taste for Rabbit which we are lacking in.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Clark

Quote from: ErikC on March 12, 2009, 08:59:35 PM
Are you sure they aren't wolverines? How big an animal is it? Fishers don't remind me of bears at all, but wolverines do.

I've mistaken a fisher for a young black bear cub.  Scared me witless for a bit as it was only about 25' away in thick brush!  I went up a tree mighty fast while singing nonsense to let the mother bear know I was around.  After I figured it out I came down but was on edge the rest of the day.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!