iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on costs of post and beam

Started by peterduncan, March 07, 2009, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterduncan

I would be interested in what some areas are asking for per board foot for item such as oak, pine, and spruce in post and beam form  ( Ie. 8x8, 3x5.) I am discovering that it seems to range from $ .60 to $200. Any comment would be helpful

Jim_Rogers

My prices for timbers are pretty much a standard board foot price until the lengths go over 16' and then I get a little more as it usually is harder to get a long straight log.

In my area, if you're price range is 60 cents to $2 then that's about right......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

peterduncan

$.60 for pine and $2.00 for oak or cherry?

Raphael

I suspect it's all regional differences.
We're sitting on 90+ acres of Beech, Birches, Black Cherry, Hickory, Maples and Oaks so $.60 for pine sounds good.
Where as $2.00 is a bit pricey for Oak (Red or White) but reasonable for Black Cherry as they tend to grow a bit twisted around here and a good straight 16'+ cherry log takes a bit of hunting.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ARKANSAWYER

The prices seem about right for oak and pine here in Arkansas.  But just because a mill can saw a piece the size you want does not make it a good timber.  Well sawn timbers are worth more then a RR tie.  Good long timbers are worth the extra coin when it comes time to use them.  Grade is another thing to consider when buying as is quality of the logs.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!