iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling again!

Started by woodbeard, August 07, 2003, 09:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

After a long hiatus, I've got my chainsaw mill back together and cutting again. Solved the clutch problem by scraping the lining off the shoes and resurfacing their metal faces on my disc sander. Works perfectly now. Also got a new 42" bar and 2 chains, .325 pitch, .050ga. and an auxillary oiler.
Modified the chain by removing every other pair of top plates and filing the other cutters to 0 deg.
 Met a guy the other day who said he had a cherry tree he cut down a year ago that was too near the power lines, and did I want it? Yep! ;D
 The tree was 16" for the first 10', then forked into two 12" trunks. Unfortunately, it had split 6' into the trunk, so I didn't get the nice crotch slabs I was hoping for. Nice wood anyway.

Jeff

Whatcha goona build wifit?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Nice looking whack of lumber there woodbeard. I find that black cherry is one of the worst for splitting through the crotch area like that. I've still been saving up the pieces that do and stashing them away to make new fronts on my kitchen cabinets someday.

woodbeard

Well, I sawed it into 3 1/2" slabs thinking I'd cut most of it into turning stock. When the guy who gave me the log saw how pretty it was inside, he decided all he wanted in return was for me to make him something out of it. So much for "free" wood.  ::)
 Anyway, since the rule of thumb for drying is 1 year per inch, I told him sure, it oughta be done in 4 years ;)

Thank You Sponsors!