iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn "hand" Raising in VT part two

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 07, 2003, 08:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I just got back from the "hand" barn raising in VT.
Here are some pictures of them/us pulling up a bent.

I left before the barn was completed so I'll have to get a photo later from the TFG web page of the finished barn. I'll post it then.
Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Bibbyman:
Here is the link to the school's site where a lot of good photos are of the complete raising.
After the hand raising part was done, they hired a crane to put the rest of the rafters up.
Jim

http://www.mountainschool.org/program/barnchrono.htm

Bibbyman

Only thing I see wrong with that barn is ... It's not setting down the hill from my house!

What's going to fill in the open areas on the eaves?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jim_Rogers

Bibbyman:
I'm not sure why they cut the boards like that. I know they were going to have a barn dance up there Saturday night, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.
If I find out I'll let you know.
Jim

smwwoody

Do you guys use a "Gin Pole" to stand the bents up when they are that tall?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jim_Rogers

Woody:
The first bent was lifted using block and tackle hanging from a pair of "shear legs". These can be seen in the first few photos on the school's barn photos web site.
Shear legs are a pair of very long logs attached to each other to make a giant "A" frame and placed into the ground a couple of feet and tied back to a huge anchor in the ground.
After the first bent was up, then this bent was used as the "gin pole" to pull the second one up. The first bent was anchored to the shear legs and then to the ground anchor. After the crane arrived the "shear legs" were moved out of the way after the last bent was up. You can see some photos of the students taking the shear legs apart. You can see this in the photos on the schools site. Have a look and I'm sure you'll understand how it worked. If not, I'll try and help more. Jim
PS. Bibbyman, the upper section of siding, which was to be added later will be stepped out the thickness of the bottom section of siding to create a shadow line. This is a standard method of siding a barn up here in this neck of the woods.

smwwoody

Jim

We will  use something similar to what you call the shear legs and we call them a gin pole the one big differance is we will use a hindge on the bottem of the gin pole / shear legs.  and lower them almost to the ground then atach them to the top of the bent or what ever we are raiseing with a fixed length of rope then the block and tackle is hooked to the top of the gin pole and to the anchor and up she goes.  also the ginpole in this setup will be only half as tall as the bent.  this alows you to  be able to move the gin pole around easy.

Also something to watch for tthe way they hung the rafters from the crane "multipule rafters hanging below each other"  in one lift.  This is against the law in a lot of states.those arnet the pic's that you want on the front page of the local paper some places.  I got a copany that I was working for a $10,000  fine for that in Ohio

Woody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

8)Oh Yea GREAT pic's on that school site   8)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Jim_Rogers

I talked several times to the crane operator. He works for a well known company in St Johns Vt. He said he travels all over putting up timber frames. He was aware of the photographers being there and taking pictures for the Boston Globe and other newspapers. If it wasn't right for his company to do this he wouldn't have done it, I'm sure. But I'll pass it on to the guild bosses when I see them next time in NH, at the new raising on Sept 12 or so.
Thanks for your advice.
Jim

Thank You Sponsors!