iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wireless thermometer

Started by jd7610, March 06, 2009, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd7610

Does someone know of a company that makes a wireless thermometer that would work for a outside wood burner?

beenthere

Maybe not exactly what you are wanting to do, but I have a wireless digital thermometer that I lay on my wood boiler, and read it at my bedside.
It reads 100° F when the water temp is 145°. When it reads 80°, then the water temp has cooled to about 100-110, and it is time to throw another log or two in.

Bought it for around $40 at Radio Shack. Includes two senders and one receiver. They come in a variety of things they will do, such as setting an alarm that will go off if temp gets too low, or too high.

What I don't have is a probe that reads actual temp. of the water.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

easymoney

i got one at walmart that works great. i do not rember how far away it is supposed to work.
you can add up to 4 sensors and it will scroll through them. has an alarm clock built in too.

Dave Shepard

I bought one this winter, and discovered that different ones have a different working ranges. The one the guy in the store recommended only went to -4. I told him it was -18 at my house that morning, and I didn't think it was going to work. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JSNH

I have one it was made for cooking to monitor the temp of a meat smoker.

http://www.ctwoodfurnace.com/Misc%20Parts.htm

I bought it last year it works ok. I have the sensor tie wrapped to the in and out pipes in the cellar. The batts last a few months and when you replace them you need to fiddle with it a bit but it works well. Best on a cold night you can put it next to the bed. When you wake up look at it and know if you should get up and fill it now or catch a few more z's.

rowerwet

I have a maverik wireless  barbecue thermometer, I tried having the sender be in the water on my OPB, but water makes the readings go crazy and the cold made the batteries weak so I lost signal.
I ended up putting the probe on the sender on a pipe by my HX  in the basement, it is downstream of the HX so I can watch how much temp I am giving to the house, and the recovery time of my OPB. I set the meat done temp alarm to 15 degrees below the usual water temp so I get warned if my fire is out. with the sender in the basement I never lost signal all winter. The temp I read is about 2-3 degrees off from the water jacket temp on my OPB, but good enough for me.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

beenthere

OPB
Am wondering, What is that?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dana

OPB = outdoor pressure boiler?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

rowerwet

Outdoor Pellet Boiler = OPB
sorry I'm used to the crowd on hearth.com, that's where the abbreviation was conceived.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

Thank You Sponsors!