iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GB bars

Started by DonT, March 06, 2009, 10:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

I went to order a couple of GB bars from baileys tonight and could not find them.Does anyone know if they still carry them?Has any body tried the woodsman bars? thanks DonT

Meadows Miller

Gday Don

I just got myself a new 404 52" Inch GB Titanium R series bar yesterday for $175 US They are made in Melbourne  ;) ;D 8) 8)  if You have any dramas tracking one down i coud get my Dealer in Bendigo to send you one out  ;) ;D they hold everthing upto a 36" instock I use either GB, Oregon Bars and Oregon , Windsor or Charlton Chains Mate  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

chipsfly09

I bought a GB titanium bar 20" for my saw- Good bar-- not that much more expensive than others-- but people ask me where the titanium is in the bar-- Does anybody know--  In the groove where the chain runs? or maybe in the  paint ???

Ed

The titanium is in the steel..... ::) GB is just using the makeup of their steel alloy as a marketing tool.
They are good bars, I've got a 36" on my 066.

The Baileys Woodland pro bars (the black ones) are made by Cannon, excellent quality, priced accordingly.

I've been using the "Total" Super Bars from may local dealer, good bar at a reasonable price.

Ed

Rocky_J

I don't see the GB bars listed either. I hope they didn't drop the line.  :(
Perhaps a call on their 800 number can get you the answer.

chipsfly09

Thanks Ed

My daughter said i fell for the marketing tool-- If it says titanium I need one!-- It is also orange and looks interesting on my 162 husky.  I have used the total super bars also-- they do ok-- I wore one out on my 2100 but it sure cut a lot of wood.

Randy88

I've got a stihl 660 and am running 404 chain and .063 guage with a 25 inch hard nose bar from stihl, looking for a 36 inch bar thats also hard nose anyone have any recommendations as to brand preference that even makes one hard nose.    Is there really that much of a difference in quality between brands once the hype of advetising is over??

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Randy  ;) ;D 8) 8) fell free to pull up a stump anytime mate  ;) ;D

GB still makes solid nose bars i think  :P but ive never brought one myself  ;) used them tho in the past  ;D

Ed Cannon bars are a Bloody good bar but i havent seen one here for Years Mate   :o ??? :) But like all things if you realy want one you can allways find it  ;) ;D 8)

Don This is the first titanum bar ive had  ;D So Im verry intrested to see how it goes  ;) the bar its replaced is a 48" Oregon bar that i got a dang good run out off  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Randy88

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

Rocky_J

I quit using solid nose bars over 15 years ago, can't see any purpose other than making your saw work harder and slower. And no comment on the .404 chain since I've never seen anyone running that on a 66 either. I could see using .404 on an 088 or 090, but not an 066.

Al_Smith

I've got a couple of GB bars,a 20" and a 32" . They seem to be okay .Never had any problems with them .

Now that it's been mentioned I don't ever recall seeing a .404 on an 066 . That saw will handle a 36" with 3/8" chain very well .

By the same token though ,other than GTG's or races I've never seen an 084 or 088 with anything but .404 . Maybe it's a regional thing ?

SouthernRumRunner

I think GB is the only one that makes hard-nose in those lengths.You can check theme out www.gbbar.com.au/professional_hard_top_bar.htm

Al_Smith

You can buy hard nosed bars .Oregon makes them as well as few others .Check out Baileys .

I only use them on a few of my antiques .They do fine on a saw that oilers well which eliminates most Stihls . You just adjust your chain a tad looser .

No biggie .I grew up running hard nose bars and loud saws .I'm used to them . :)

Randy88

I guess I grew up on 404 chain and hard nose bars on a bigger Lombard saw and loved it, the chain seem to last longer, could be my imagination, when I bought my new saws we got them with 3/8's chain and switched them over to 404 depending on what we are doing at the time.   We still have all the 3/8's bars and also 404, have had roller noses in the past and they didn't last so we went back to hard tips, we work in a lot of miserable conditions and do a lot of tip cutting in the winter and that seemed to blow the ends apart for some reason.    I agree they pull harder and use more oil but we figured they outlasted rollers 4 to one for the type of work we do anyhow.   The 404 has larger tie straps and thicker ones and we get better wear out of the chain it seems, the cutting witdth isn't a lot more but does throw more sawdust is about all on the downside that I can see.     

When we are bucking up firewood or cutting good logs we switch back to 3/8's chain,     I should go to a 880 but as of yet its only on the wish list.   Other saws oil better but we stick with the stihls because of dealer support and none of the others have any good ones in my area.   I agree totally they should put out about twice as much oil as they do and have complained but to no avail, all the saws I've ever owned had manual oilers to go along with automatics to give an idea how old those were but this is all stihl offers and its the only complaint I've had with them. 

Thank You Sponsors!