iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer watching

Started by CLL, March 05, 2009, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Been trailing deer in the snow the last few days, just to see their trails. Yep, season starts in six months, and I plan on having the first one on ground in six months one day. :D Well maybe!! Due to bad wind, wrong angle, bow malfunctions, arrows crooked, and ect. have been known to miss. 8) Set my camera out today will post pictures in a couple of days.
Too much work-not enough pay.

SwampDonkey

Deer watching? We usually watch deer come to the fields in April as the snow melts out. No deer around here to watch, not a track since October 2007.  A lot died from last winter, but where did they go before the snows? Mystery. :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

Ya dont have to waite that long. Boys around here season dont end. If they have horns that is. There is a house i drive by in arkansas that has a tall fence in the front yard. I always wonderd why. it looks like a prison fence. There is nice buck in there. Still with its rack on today.  the pin is only 30 by 30 ft at the most. I feal sorry for the buck.

CLL

took this picture of buck with one horn yet. Hopefully he will lose it in next week. From the size of him will probably pass on him this year and hope he is around next year.

NOTE FROM JEFF

CLL, You are trying to use the document attachment for photos. That is not allowed. You must use the Forestry Forum gallery,

[attachment deleted by admin]

CLL

Sorry, Jeff, will get it figured out yet.

CLL

Once I have the photo in my gallery, how to I upload from there?

Jeff

I gave you instructions in an instant message. You can also read them here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23851.0.html

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

Ya lookin' for these little guys?

SwampDonkey

Saw a moose yesterday morning wading snow. That's a deer ain't it? ;) Snow's kinda crusty but not firm enough to hold moose, she was breaking through every other step. Didn't look fun, glad I was on the road for my walk. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

CCL,is this the picture?

I saw 7 deer on the woods roads behind the house.I guess they are eating the leaves.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

What leaves?   :D :D

semologger

Deer have been moving around here. When to dogs get to barking I know its deer. But its always late at night. The other night they was going at it so i grabed the spotlight but its not a corless. So i got the battery charger out put the wires on the clamps and taped the all up. Shined the light out in the field and there were 6. Just a little ways out there. Ive seen a few since then out there. I just hope the battery dont go out in the truck and i have to un tape the clamps.

thecfarm

Leaves on the the woods roads or really next to it. The wind don't seem to blow the leaves away there.They seem to gather right at the edge of the road and stay there. Good fodder for the deer,even if they are oak leaves. Usually we see deer all winter here,all around us will be trails where the deer travel.Not this year.There use to be a real good travel path just a little ways from the house.I could see that some was using it,but nothing like in past years.
Went to work yesterday morning and a deer got hit by a car about a mile form my house.Was laying right by his mailbox.Was 5:15,I went around it and kept going,the house was dark.Was below freezing all night,so maybe he got some deer steak.That is too bad.Got through the winter and got hit while crossing the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Between the deep snow and a new 4-lane being completed through a wintering area in Charleston, they pretty much wiped them out. Seen dead deer hit by cars down there all last winter. Not a deer track this winter down there.

Polly

polly just told me to come look out the back house window 3 deer in back yard you could throw a rock and hit them ::) ::)

Corley5

N. Michigan deer don't taste good at this time of the year.  Gotta wait til the 4th of July before they are any good  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CLL

Thecfarm, thanks for posting the picture, even though Jeff sent me how, I couldn't get it done. Yep thats the picture, I haven't looked at my scout camera in three days as our computer hard drive crashed. Got all our information back, but it was cheaper to buy new one than fix old one.

Left Coast Chris

Here are a couple of bucks in our pasture this Fall.  For several weeks when everything was dried out and our irrigated pasture had new alfalfa there were 32 deer on the six acre pasture.  Not good.. :( ::)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ellmoe

Chris,

That's a healthy looking buck. Did you ever see them in the daylight?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Left Coast Chris

They came in just as it was getting dark and left before it got light in the morning.  You could get within about 50 yards at night with a light for a picture.   If a person was going to hunt them it may be possible to set up on the path coming into the pasture.  We may get tags this year and give it a try with a bow.  Otherwise there are too many close houses to use a rifle.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

semologger

i could see ya stickin one and it running into the next yard. could have some mad neighbors!

nice deer!

Hilltop366

Does anybody see any deer like this one?

semologger

Do ya have any milk cows going stray around there? :D

beenthere

Call 'em piebald, I think.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

We call them holsteins and the neighbor gets real pithy when we shot at them. :D

Thank You Sponsors!