iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blackjack spalt

Started by Larry, March 05, 2009, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

We had a blackjack oak dying a slow death before the ice storm...after the ice storm it was topless, so down it came.  Was thinking it would provide a lota good heat in the wood stove but...could there be a second life?

The tree shows spalt clear up in the top...guess from dying a slow death.  Lots of crotches.  Turning blanks?  The butt log is maybe 24" X 12' or so...lumber?  I suppose I could just put the log aside to encourage spalting out to the bark.

Open to suggestions. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pasbuild

WHO HOO 8) cut that baby open I want ta see it 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WDH

Wow, that is a big blackjack!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

oldsaw

Geez, Larry, you mill just about anything and everything, funny you thought of burning it first.  Been cold down there or something?

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

blaze83

ya gotta saw that tree into boards and turning blanks..... if for no other reason than to take pictures of it so you can show us :D :D

looks like it would be pretty amazing, those annual rings are sure packed together...should make some fantastic boards

cut er open!!  8) 8)

just my 2 cents
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Larry

I cut a crotch off the butt log yesterday for maybe a turning block.

The rays are nice and long but none to fat...don't know whether to quarter saw or flat saw.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

Looks nice and solid. :)  The sap looks unbelievably white for such a rotten tree. :D  I can't wait for more pics! 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

blaze83

DanG!!!! I'm drooling over that log...Hope you cut 'er open soon and take lots of pictures. I think either 1/4 or flat sawn would be beautiful either way. That is some of the most difined spaulting I have seen... if I lived closer to ya Larry I'd volunteer to come by and pull slabs for ya just so i could see what it looks like first hand. :D
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

WDH

I am also very interested in the outcome of this endeavor!  That is some beautiful figure on the cut end of the old blackjack.  Be sure to cut some 8/4 for table legs ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Loghead

Please dont make us wait til Christmas !  :D :D
sure looks perdee from here.
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

TheWoodsman

That log is just awesome !

Think before you cut to maximize the value.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Ironwood

That looks to be the best spault in Oak I have ever seen. I have had mineral stain in Oak which will fade as dried, but thatr IS spault.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

okie

So....Larry.....When you gonna cut that log up ???
I have been considering cutting some blackjack on my land to saw but werent sure if it was worth sawing. Makes a good fire though. I'd dang sure saw that booger up though. I like it 8).
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ARKANSAWYER

That is not really spalt in that log.  Black Jacks here are like that alot.  They are real prone to shake and will split down the stress crack.  Most of the time the wood warps alot and will most of the time have a left hand twist.  Some times they come out good.  RR tie buyers will not take the logs.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!