iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I know nothing about small engines.

Started by Dodgy Loner, March 05, 2009, 10:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

And yet I'm trying to fix one anyway.  I was told that the 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine on my tiller needs a new diaphram, so I bought a new one and took the old one off.  The problem is, when I took the old one off, a spring came off with it.  Now I don't know which side of the diaphram the spring goes on.  Can anybody help ???

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Radar67

The diaphram should only fit one way. Look at the old one to determine which side the spring was on. It should have a mark from the spring (like a depression). I am no expert, but I think the spring goes under the diaphram. You can also look at both parts of the housing to see if there are any marks to indicate where the spring was setting. There make be a circular ridge to hold the base of the spring in place.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

So you think the spring goes in first, then the diaphram, and then the cover?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Jeff

You should install the spring, then the spring cap, then the diaphragm, then the cover.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

Gotcha.  Thanks, Jeff.  That may explain why I was having trouble getting her cranked last night ;D

Warbird

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on March 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM
Gotcha.  Thanks, Jeff.  That may explain why I was having trouble getting her cranked last night ;D

LOL  Sorry, for some reason, that's just DanG funny. 

Dodgy Loner

Yeah, I got to thinking something was wrong when it was harder to crank after I "fixed" it than before.

SwampDonkey

I was mowing last summer around the rose bushes and I tend to shove the mower into the stems of the bushes. These grow like raspberry canes and lots of thorns, they are multi-floral type, not wild prairie roses. They come out white and gradually turn pink with age. Anyway, the mower quit. What the heck? I hauled the old girl out of the ditch where the roses grow along and started pulling. I knew there was lots of gas. I got to looking around the throttle and there is a spring that unhooked. That spring is as fine as horse hair and it was just dangling there and the whole operation of that mower depended on that spring being in place.  ;D :D That don't beat the gas cap dropping off when mowing in the cedar branches, then mowing over it a couple of times so it's nice and chewed up. Getting lots of air now for prime. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!