iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Freshly Sawn Hemlock Lumber?

Started by luke, August 06, 2003, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

I have some hemlock trees on my property, and I'm in the process of building a log cabin, I built the cabin out of yellow poplar logs off my land, and am chinking the joints now. I need some material for the ceiling, and I have many hemlock trees on my land, but will the boards shrink up, if I nail them down after they are sawed?
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Jeff

We used hemlock for the same thing in one of the bedrooms at the cabin in da U.P.  yea, it'll shrink but do like we did. Board and batten the ceiling.

Something about that bedroom always causes me to wake up with a funny scratch in my throat. None of the other bedrooms do it except that room. "the bear room" we call it. I have always attributed it to the hemlock as its the only room that has it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

The bear room. Dont show the ceiling though... :-/

wall paneling is red and white pine with wide board hemlock ceiling
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

solidwoods

For $.15bf you can have lumber kiln dried.  If you use green lumber to build with you are taking a risk with your hard earned labor.
OR air dry it, put it in the attic or inside stickered when dry machine to ship lap or TG.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

luke

Jeff B.,

since I don't have the time to wait for the lumber to air dry, I am going to use, 1/2" drywall on the ceiling. Thanks for the information.

EZ

Luke, 5/8 drywall on the ceiling is a must, if you use 1/2 inch it will crack at the seems and sooner or later sag. Sorry for butting in.
EZ

luke

EZ,

5/8" drywall on the cabin cathedral ceiling would probably be better, although it costs a little more, but it would have more of a sound deadening effect.  Might go that route.

biziedizie

Me agrees with EZ. 8)  5/8 is a must.

Steve

redpowerd

aghhh >:(
sh;trock in a log cabin? :'(
ive had some hemlock on the side of my garage for a year facing south and have not noticed much shrinkin, more shakin than anythin.
b+b cant look that bad, specially on a ceiling, i would think it would add depth. plus im plannin on doing the same ;)

oh, how did that popler work out on the cabin?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

woodhaven

Jeff,
Are all of your interior walls finished off? No logs showing on the inside.
Richard

blue_eyed_devil

Plan on about 30% shake when you mill it.Atleast that's what I've read about Hemlock.
Anyone disagree??
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Oregon_Rob

Chainsaw Nerd

beenthere

OR_Rob
Normally, I think of shake as a separation of wood along the annual ring in a log (tree). A weakness in the wood thought to be caused by bacteria or stresses in the tree. Sometimes an injury to the growing layer between the wood and the bark will be enough to cause the 'weak' annual ring. Hemlock is one species that seems to have more shake than other tree species. I think Grand fir in the West is another such species. Regardless, it makes recovering lumber from such logs much more difficult. Sometimes the boards hold together until they are dried, and then the ring shake shows up in the dried board.
Shake is different from checks, in that checks are separations across the annual ring (or in a radial direction).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oregon_Rob

Thanks beenthere, for that. Don't think I have seen it, but never looked for it!
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

I use to see lots of that on the dance floor.  8)

Tom

Shake is another term for split.  Cedar shakes are split for shingles,  We have folks here that call any crack a shake whether it's in the heart (heart check/heart shake) or between the rings (ring shake/wind shake).

beenthere is correct with his explanation.

Greg

QuoteShake is another term for split.  Cedar shakes are split for shingles,  We have folks here that call any crack a shake whether it's in the heart (heart check/heart shake) or between the rings (ring shake/wind shake).

beenthere is correct with his explanation.

I've heard (here?) that pin oak is notorious for ring shake.

Which is good for me, because most sawyers don't want to fool with for that reason - meaning I can get the logs for nothing - to cut beams out of!

Greg

redpowerd

im still wonderin about those poplar logs,
any pics?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!