iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We are a sorry bunch

Started by Tom, March 03, 2009, 09:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm proud to be American,

1.) I'm proud I live in a country where I can whine, gripe, and complain about the government in public. 
2.) I thank God every day that I live in a country where I CAN thank Him in my own way.
3.) I'm proud to live in a country where they can burn the flag if they want to.  >:(
4) I"m proud to live in a country where I can kick the butt of a flag burner if I'm willing to do the time for it.  8)  8)

While things aren't great they sure could be worse.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

TexasTimbers

Part_Timer. You have a serious attitude problem. I like it a lot. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

gunman63

Slabs

I made the mistake of saying in the presence of an old Army buddy that "I couldn't do something" one time a while back.

He resoponded "I am an A-mer-I-CAN"!!  I've never forgotten it.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Cedarman

Too many people have a disease I call "icantitis".   They will say I can't do it all the while they are doing it.   

We will get through this downturn because there are opportunities.  We have to be ready and have the belief that we will figure it out.  There will be failures for sure, but there will be successes. 

Believing we can make things better is not false hope.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Haytrader

I am trying to be optimistic.
::)
I even posted a job offer and it may just be what somone is looking for.
8)
Life is full of hills and valley's. The more we knock down the hills and fill in the valley's, the smoother the ride.
Haytrader

jim king

Another perspective on this from the other side of the world.  My wife and I have lived outside of the US more years than we have lived there and in many countries none of which you would call modern.  One thing we have found is that people of all types and everywhere we have been are very proud to be who they are and proud of their country no matter how humble it is.

Dirt floors , thatched roofs no walls , no electricity but always welcome and come on in and have something to eat.  We live in a town of about 450,000 I think and every Sunday morning there is a military parade and every hospital , school, public entity etc have a marching group and the Mayor and all dignataries give a speech at the central plaza.
Nationalism at its utmost.

It is a different culture to be sure as 95% of the people are poor but own their house and have no debt.  No need for expensive cars as we have no roads going any where but about 20,000 three wheel taxies buzzing around town.  Half the streets are not paved and at least once a week the lights go out for an hour or two.  The amazing thing is that everyone is happy.

Every couple of years I get back up to the States and do enjoy riding in a Ford.  In Africa we had nothing but Mercedes and Puegots and it was always a pleasure to get back home and into an American car.

Looking at the problem from a long ways away it looks so simple, to many have spent beyond their means from individuals to corporations thinking that inflation and luck would carry them thru.  The time has come when it is time to pay and that is a problem.

I have never been anywhere in the world that America and Americans were not thought of as the beam of light guiding the world but somebody better charge the batteries and not charge the bill.  Even our enemies respect us.

In South America it has been made into a national pastime having governmental financial crises over the years and somehow they always pull it out of the bag.  It has always taken stern and strict measures but it always gets done.  I have zero doubht that America will pull it together and get it back going again.  It will hurt a little but the education will be worth it.

I am a firm beleiver that if there is no smoke and no noise a country will go down hill.  A country is nothing more than a giant corporation and if it does not produce an income of more that it spends by producing products and not playing with paper the problem arises.  A country that does not have more dirty hands producing something than clean hands counting and critizizing is not producing true income and is in trouble.  Buying everything from China and creating huge trade losses plus trading dollars internally making hamburgers just dont make it.

Faron

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

stumpy

Thanks Jim, We needed that.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

TexasTimbers

I enjoyed reading your perspective Jim. And not to take a thing away from it, but America has always been proud that we are "different". I guess the time is coming where our kids will say they are proud that we are "the same" as every other third world country.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Polly

well i am proud to be a hillbilly last account i had ky was still in the union and all of us are going down the same road togather as citizens of the usa and the ride is what we make it  :) :)

old joe

When I was a little boy, I was whining about some lack in my toy box andmy grandfather who was from Italy  told me "Joey, look at all the things you have.  Don't you think it's ENOUGH?"  It  surprised me!  He never spoke harshly to me.  But he taught me about ENOUGH.  Now 60 some odd years later, I think our fellow citizens, could use this word.  Are you rich ENOUGH?  Are you happy ENOUGH.  DO you have ENOUGH?
      When I look around I think most of our problems were caused by the notion that enough is never ENOUGH
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Tom_in_Mo.

Howdy everybody......... I just want you all to know that although I am layed off, I am still kicking and will kick until my kicker quits me.
I got message from a dozen or so forum members. Yes I was down but you guys will never let a man be down. Not just me, but there have been members who have lost loved ones and you guys do what you can even though you may be hundreds of miles away.
I just want to thank you men and women for your Prayers and kind words.
Yes, I am proud to be an American. I think its going to get rougher for all of us, but if we will just hang in there, we will make it, just like the folks before us have.

CLL

Tom glad to see you out and about. Don't know much or have much but if I can ever help let me know. Will keep you and yours in our prayers.
Too much work-not enough pay.

thecfarm

How right Tom is. I have noticed all that you said,but never have thought of it all at one time.Americans have really brought it all on ourselves,BUT not in a bad way. There are too many regulations to keep the American worker safe,be it our health or just having a safe work  place. BUT that is a good thing.There is one example in my small world. We had a small wood business here in Chesterville that made the ceder trim that went on top of a 4X4 post to dress it up. The trim was stapled on the corners. Some one thought about gluing it to save money. The fumes was too strong for Americans to breath in,so guess where the cedar trim is being made now? Somewhere over seas. I know there are a lot more.Some I can understand and some I can't.
Fla Deadheader is right too. Seems like if you don't make fun of a way a person is dressed or what is on TV than some people have nothing to talk about.  :( 
There is ALOT going on where I work. We went from 160 people down to 30 people. There are more that are not working than that too. Many support people got the hammer too. I use to be a trouble shooter and a robot programmer. Now I run a machine and if a person has trouble with their machine they have to come take my place and I go fix it. Some days I only run a machine for 3 hours and some days it's all day. I do not ever see the work force like it was. Most jobs have been split up among 2-3 other workers.Lead people and supers are doing more out on the floor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!