iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ax Men makes me want to puke

Started by Dan_Marino, March 03, 2009, 02:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Marino

That show does not depict logging realistically.  The way the History channel talks its like the loggers have dangers with every step...swords sticking out of the ground, tigers ready to pounce on you from behind trees...the plauge ready to kill you with every breathe you take in the woods.  Some of the editing to make it look so dangerous is crap.  I know the history channel needs to create some drama and such - but jeesh. 

The temper tantrums the owners throw are the most childish thing Ive ever seen - if I acted like those guys I would never get anything done.

beenthere

Dan
We think alike here.  :)
Is unfortunate that our entertainment programs like this are on the History Channel, rather than a Disney channel. But that is the entertainment business.

People act foolish in front of a camera. Just look at what a crowd will do when a TV camera pans across them...go bonkers.  ;D ;D

How many young people are watching this show and then grow older and go off to a job thinking this is how people interact on the job.  A few on the fringe maybe, but likely wouldn't last long, being the employed or the supervisor.

PS  I turned the sound off and enjoyed the rest of the show scenery, equipment, and logging.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

Not having a TV, I don't watch it regularly, but we had one during the first season, and my thoughts were similar. I didn't think all the scenes were that far from reality, but some were. Nonetheless, I did enjoy watching it a few times. Anything on television is like this, and the subject matter beats the heck out of shows like "the bachelor" or something.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

blaze83

I must say I was a bit dissapointed also,  i'm sure the crews in this show are not as inept and just plain stupid as the History channel makes them out to be.  I wish they would cut the drama BS and just show the logging operations.... Like the big old growth Douglas Fir log that they came accross and yarded up to the landing....cut the BS and tell us in a factual manner the challenges that needed to be over come to get the log... geeeze already,  I'm not sure if i can watch another episode...it is almost as if they make the crews do foolish stuff so they breakdown.  there was another show on one of the other channels about helli-logging that was much better, only caught the last part of it, but these guys actually where portrayed as having some idea of what they where doing. I feel for the guys doing the work, it would be hard having a camara around all the time, and i'm sure they are far more compitent than what the History channel makes them out to be.

just may rant for the day,

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

caz

I have to agree, how could you hire someone who has never logged and not tell him what is required to do the job

Like good logging boots, hard hat, and then let him try to drive his car up the logging road come on !

This was a complete set-up for the show WOW !

John Bartley

Yup, I agree with all above. I've never logged, but I have done some hard rock mining and I have an idea that things like job site safety, equipment care and use, attention to proper attire etc are not viewed much different in the logging industry. If I'd mined like these guys logged on TV I'd be dead right now.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

SwampDonkey

The best type shows that document the work place are when it's an independent film maker who has been there done that. I can't really say much about any of those History Channel shows because I don't subscribe to pay TV offerings. A couple of fellows on the forum were gracious to tape an episode or two in the first season and I got to view it. From my personal experience on the BC coast and back here in NB, where the WCB frequently comes visiting work sites, I can't really relate to the way they conduct business as portrayed in those shows. Sure seemed reckless at times. But, I'll tell ya it's not clean cut all the time either. I've seen some characters, some smoke those strong cigarettes like Benson and Hedges and some talk constantly of their exploits from the last time off from camp with a lot of pure BS along with it.  Often the worst actors will become role models for new recruits, they're great story tellers and often live on the edge of the outskirts of life. I've had to let a few go, so to speak. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stumphugger

They are trivializing and overusing/abusing a creative form of art--The Rigging Fit.  A pure rigging fit is a sight to behold.  It should never be used indiscriminantly.   Shame on them! :'(

Chico

I agree with all above as I said before if this is the norm OSHA would eat them alive . I'd fire most of them the first day if they did the things this shows and I agree about the owners they talk about how they need steady men long time employees then act like spoiled kids when something happens In the real world if they acted like that they'd be working by themselve..It makes me sick when they portray woodmen as inept idiots You know for yrs people thought of sawmillers as a lower rung in the ladder We finally make headway then these idiots drag us back >:(
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

linrick1

Quote from: stumphugger on March 03, 2009, 08:07:32 PM
They are trivializing and overusing/abusing a creative form of art--The Rigging Fit.  A pure rigging fit is a sight to behold.  It should never be used indiscriminantly.   Shame on them! :'(

Now thats funny.......the show however is not funny, or very good.

Corley5

I like the show.  I can tell what's real and what's not and who's authentic and who's not and am looking forward to the rest of the season :) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SamB

I have to agree with most of the opinions being stated here. My logging experience has been on a small scale the emphasis more on safety than production. With that being said I have quite a bit of experience in utility line construction, which uses similar techniques and equipment. From what I've seen of this show it sheds a negative image of the logging industry. If they are trying to show that the odds are 1 in 1000 that you'll get killed on the job if you're a logger they're getting the message out. :(

Mooseherder

I liked the show also. :)
Looks like it will be a good season.   I liked the Gustafson team last year.
If you go to the Short video clips on History .com look for the clip Brad gets gear.
Gabe told him to get a list of things.  A hard Hat, Spiked Boots, Weather proof clothing and Chaps.  Brad didn't follow thru with what he was told.  They didn't show that part except for the crew's expression when Brad showed up without.
Duane's Boy showed the world how logging chaps will save your leg.  It happened with his mentor beside him.  That was a great public service to show never let your guard down.
Jimmy showed that one log potentially has the same worth as 5 trucks of logs. ;)
I did worry about him a couple times though.

Chico

corley I agree we can tell whats real and whats not But what about the other 95% of the tv audience jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Corley5

A few episodes of a TV show don't do much to educate or change any pre-existing opinions of the logging industry especially when it's produced as entertainment not a documentary.

Corley5

I work in the forest products industry most everyday whether it's falling timber, running equipment, or processing and delivering firewood and I couldn't give rats a** less what the general public thinks about my occupation  8) ;D :) :)

pasbuild

With todays selection of TV viewing I will continue to watch the series and enjoy what it has to offer. Got a hoot out of the water logging :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Dan_Marino

Hey, I like the show and will continue to watch it but some of the stuff just makes me cringe.
I have seen my fair share of characters in the woods but it is a small percentage.

As far as the aqua guys...I did laugh when they were tangled up right off the bat. :D

Chico

Just watching the show for entertainment is great I don't care for but I don't like tofu either and some folks to But it's the folks that don't know the industry that flips thru the channels catches it sees some of the BS they instantly get a bad taste in their mouth A vote comes up for allowing timber sales etc You can bet ti'll change their thinking and there's some lobbiyst out there making sure he has the clips that will refresh it in their memories Corley you're lucky if you don't have to worry about public scrutiny I can tell you it;ll bite you in the butt in some places . They can shut you down put press on thr people who buy the lumber you prod There a lot of wagging tails in thge forest industry While not kissing their butt you have to appease the public somewhat JMO
Chico

Corley5

From  what I can see the show is real if the theatrics aren't taken into account.  The machinery operation, timber falling, etc are the real thing.  That's how it's done.  Just because there are cameras on the job doesn't mean these guys don't have to produce.  Whatever dollars if any they might be receiving for allowing the filming isn't covering their operating costs. 
  The characters have to fit the stereotypical lumberjack image of the burly, hard drinking, rough around the edges guys that communicate in language spiked with profanity.  Any other portayal wouldn't be considered authentic by the American public. 
  Would we rather not have anything shown and keep timber operations a top secret thing known only to those of us that are involved in them or should we promote a sugar coated feel good version to counter the enviro whackos extreme destruction version  ???  I would like them to add something about the process leading up to harvest and give a bit of focus on reforestation after the harvest. 

gunman63

I enjoyed it, sure its TV, a show, thats it, somes real somes not, but the really neat thing is if u dont like it, DONT WATCH IT, simple as that, I just get a kick out of people  that watch something and it "makes them puke"  and then turn around and watch more of it.

Burlkraft

Where's Deadheader  ???  ???  ???

I gotta ask him if his Auqa Logging was like that guy's  ???   :D  :D  :D

When I was watchin' that part I was thinkin' I wudda liked ta been sittin' next to him and just hear some of the comments  :-X :-X :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe, in a couple of weeks or so, when we MIGHT get that program down here, I will get with ya on comparing notes.  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Did ya ever run yer barge into a bridge  ???

Did ya ever jump out and try to swim against the tide  ???

Did ya ever just stand there and hollar.....Well....Mebby we otta ask Ed that one  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Corley5

I was thinking the same things Burlkraft  :) :)  I'm looking forward to more underwater logging in the NW and FDH comments :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!