iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Hey big, burning West! Got room for one more?"

Started by BrandonTN, March 02, 2009, 11:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonTN

So back in January I took the wildland fire training courses, took the arduous pack test...got my Red Card. (it's actually white.  ;D)

Around mid-January I started applying to type 2 firefighter  jobs out West on USAJOBS.gov and on the Forest Service website. I've gotten many emails over the past month and a half titled "Referral Notice" from the DOI saying that I made the lists they're hiring from.

I've only received two calls concerning fire jobs (someone in Cloudcroft, NM, & Klamath Forest, CA) but those calls were just asking if I was still interested...not job offers. Also, I got one call from New Meadows, ID asking the same about a lookout position.
I want to be a on type 2 crew. I've been calling fire contacts in the BLM in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico like CRAZY the past couple of weeks, introducing myself to the OPS supervisors and whoever else willing to listen, and been telling them that I looking for work.

But no luck yet. No job offer.
Being a student is not helping me...the having to leave fire duty early (Aug. 15th) to return to school for my senior year is making it tougher than it would be otherwise.

Colorado has been sounding like they're the most interested in me. AZ and NM seem to have already hired most of their positions. A lady in CO said she had 4 engine positions at the GS4 level with the Forest Service that I'd qualify for b/c I'll be a senior forestry student next semester (apparently, the BLM requires the schooling AND 90 days previous wildfire experience, while the Forest Service only requires the schooling to be considered GS4). She said that Colorado kind of banks on hiring students b/c they don't have as long of a fire season as other states. So I'm really hoping something will come up from there....(I've actually received the most "referral notice" emails from CO than anywhere else, too.) I've applied to a lot in CO, and have been talking to more people there, also. It seems they aren't already filled to the brim like AZ and NM. I'm assuming b/c they're farther North, and fire season starts a bit later.

On a more yielding note, I talked to a fire guy in Rifle, CO today that I'd made contact with last week about an opening he had, and while he said I had great work references, he had to go with someone who had previous fire experience...but he passed my resume onto a lady who was hiring for a Range Aid position. So I called her and there's a good chance I could get that job...it'd be a STEP program position (Student Temporary Employee Program).

But I'm really hell bent on a fire job. It's great money (I talked to a student from another TN school at the Kentucky-TN SAF meeting who had worked the past two summers in fire out West, and he said he made a good chunk!!!) And it's also inspired me to get in shape. I've been going to the gym M-F and running 3-4 times a week since January. I'm gung ho for it. I even have a pair of brand new $300 fire boots on the way. Hopefully not the cart before the horse.  ::) ;D

Forester, Nantahala National Forest

WDH

Looks like that you have built a fire under yourself ;D.  Good Luck!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I'm going to suggest you take whatever they offer to get your foot in the door, especially in the GS positions. One you get in, it is a lot easier to get promoted up, or offered another position, usually before they announce the position to the public.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

BrandonTN

Thanks, WDH.  ;)

Yeah Radar, don't get me wrong....I'm taking the first GS2 fire position offered. You bet'cha! As it is, I've actually applied for more GS3 than anything else. But yeah...I'm definitely not being picky. Foot in the door is the goal.

ErikC

I have done fire contract work, it is always feast or famine. They will want you sooner or later, just hang in there. Then you'll have your feet in the door. I assure you we don't have too many firefighters out here, there's still room for one more  :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

moonhill

I was going to say California looks to be prime firefighting territory.  The actor/ governor is warning of a dry year.   Back in the late 80's, when I had a red card it was red.  I worked on a crew in Arizona, just out of Tucson in the Rincon Mountains.  It was small pea's, in comparison to the larger fires.  Good luck, it sound exciting. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

BrandonTN

I'd prefer to work in the Southwest...in Southern Cal, AZ or NM, because I understand their seasons start earlier. My availability dates are May 1- Aug 15. Montana and Oregon are seeming possibly out of the question b/c it seems they aren't getting started until June 1.

firefighter

I work for the ministry of natural resources in Ontario Canada as a crew boss on a Fire Ranger crew in Wawa Ontario ,wildland firefighting is a great job hope you get hired good luck .We have gone to the US in the past when they needed help great people to work with .

ErikC

I got my red card this year, and it is light green :-\ I have met crews here in CA from all over the U.S., Canada, and  Australia, you never know who you might be assigned with.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

RandyMac

Should you end up on the Klamath, bring a flyrod. I worked for a year in Happy Camp, wonderful country.
The cards were red in the 70's, CDF's were blue.
Have you heard about the guy who claims to have felled 2 million trees?

J_T

If i were going to Rifle Co i would want it to be May  :D .You ever been there ??? Them are some more hills  ;D
Jim Holloway

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: ErikC on March 03, 2009, 09:48:18 AMI have met crews here in CA from all over the U.S., Canada, and  Australia, you never know who you might be assigned with.

Bingo get on a firecrew just about anyplace. The first crew I was on was stationed out of watersmeet MI, and we ended up in California and Arizona.

logger444

try to get the master list of hotshot crews across the country. call the hotshot supt. direct starting yesterday. Find out what their needs are and when the openings are going to be posted. Start with Cali first, then Oregon, WAshington and on down the line. The hotshots pound the most ground on any fires and make the most money. Type 2 to me sounds like a disease. Get on a type 1 hotshot crew and go for it. I admire your enthusiasum and wish you the best of luck.----94,95,96,2000 vet. Ca, Or, Wa, Nv, Id, Mt.

Rocky_Ranger

One of the most challenging events you will face is making it through the twists and turns of the hiring process.  AVUE is contrary at best, and is not working at all presently when pulling referral lists.  Also, if you are a senior in forestry why in the world did you settle on fire?  All timber crews, and anybody for that matters, that has an "arduous" rating and have had the basic 130/190 courses will go out as a type 2 crew.  Type 1 is hotshot.  Very specific and yes, they make good money - but with a degree it won't do you much good.  Keep bugging the resource folks and look into the fuels positions - they are a mix of mechanical treatments and fire positions.  Good luck!  AVUE will be back up in a week or so and the inquiries will return.
RETIRED!

BrandonTN

QuoteAlso, if you are a senior in forestry why in the world did you settle on fire?

Rocky Ranger, good question...you putting it like that makes me think twice. :) I figured I could make the most money being on an engine for three months out west. I talked to a fellow Junior of forestry who worked out west on engine for the past 2 summers and he said he made $11,000 in 3 months. I'm studying abroad in Finland next year, and having a nice padding in my bank account while I'm over there sounds good to me.

But then again, being on a timber crew appeals more to my career goal: being a forester. I was just thinking about doing fire for a few seasons just for the experience of it. I've still been applying to timber inventorying positions, but not as much as fire. I know of a seasonal timber estimation opening in Wyoming that I'm gonna apply for pronto.

stumphugger

You shouldn't totally rely on what somebody says they made during a fire season.  There have been years when the fire season has been pretty quiet, then those folks who counted on that extra money get hurt.  I admit, lately it has been crazy, but there will be a quiet time coming.  Then you better be able to make it on straight time.  Sometimes, I pity the fire people, they have some pretty boring jobs when the woods are wet.  Are you good at washing pickups? :)

BrandonTN

Yeah, I'm sure it's boring when the woods are wet, but it's not when they're dry.  ;)

Besides, this is only a seasonal job I'm hoping for. I don't want a career in fire. I find timber management and silviculture more appealing career objectives. I have no dependents, I'm single, and I'm not gonna get hurt by straight time. I'm not even done w/ school yet.  ;D

Tillaway

Rocky Ranger nailed it.

You would make more on a timber crew during fire season going out as a type 2 crew than on an engine.  The engines tend to stay behind and protect the home district... washing trucks, working in camp grounds and other busy work.  The timber crew position carries more weight with future employers than manning an engine or a hot shot crew.  You gain pertinent experience for your future career goals. 
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

woodtroll

I'm with the timber/resource people, they have the step program also. Where in WY are you applying?

BrandonTN

Alright, you all have talked me out of working on an engine.  ::) :D

Timber inventory/improvement is what I want to be doing. It's just the lure of fire has interested me. Ever since I took all of those fire courses in January, I've been pumped about fighting fire. But I could still fight fire as a timber technician that's suit me just fine.

Woodtroll! I am applying to Piney Woods, I think it's called.

blaze83

hey Brandon,

a catagory 2 crew is the way to go...if you get on a good crew you will get to do some initial attack work also... I was stationed in Potlatch idaho in the 1980's on a cat 2 crew for 7 summers. we went out as a 40 man strike team with the St Joe hotshots which were based near us.  my best summer i had back to back weeks with 101.5  and 110 hours, that is 130.5 hours of overtime on one check.....made paying for school in the fall a lot easier. It was a great way to pass the summer, I loved every minute of it.....if you can fell on a fire, you can saw about anywhere I think. I hope you get on someplace, it will be a great experience for you...I think with as dry as california and new mexico are right now you will be very busy. in my 7 summers I was in Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona. I got to do everything from chase lightning strikes to going to huge fires like the blazes in Yellowstone in 1988. It's kind of like runing a sawmill....it gets in your blood  :D

good luck

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

John Woodworth

Check with DNR and the Forest service and put applications in with them in the states you would like to work.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

Quote from: John Woodworth on March 11, 2009, 01:33:12 AM
Check with DNR and the Forest service and put applications in with them in the states you would like to work.
I would second that.  I have worked with fire crews for several seasons i the west, including Alaska, except I worked as a OAS carded Mechanic on Helicopters aind Airplans for the various Aviation Contractors.  Alska Fire Service is not a bad gig, the season in Alaska starts early and ends early, if you need to be back to school by fall.  Fire season in the Great Land starts in April and ends usually by the end of July, Moose season starts in August, and most of hte fires are out by then.  They have a big AFS base in Fairbanks, one in McGrath, and a decent sized contingent in the Matinuska-Susitna (Mat-Su) Valley, around Palmer/Wasilla area.  Just a thought.. Good luck as a Yellow Shirt.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BrandonTN

Yeah, Alaska sounds like ideal for my time frame as a student.

But the issue is settled for me for this season. Just found out today I got hired on seasonally with the Forest Service at Bridger-Teton National Park in Wyoming to do some timber inventorying, lynx habitat surveying, and hopefully a little bit of fire work. Woohoo.....I'm happy!! 8)

Those fire people were just not hiring me quick enough. I got a feeling I'll receive an offer or two at the last minute, but I don't want to count on last minute calls for a summer job. This inventorying job is a for sure thing, so I took it! Plus, it has its upsides, anyways: doing forester-related work and near some beautiful areas, as far as I can tell. The man who hired me said Yellowstone is not too far away, and I've heard the Wind River Range is beautiful. The town it's near is actually Big Piney, WY. The man said it's a little town with not much people, so I'm out in the boonies....another plus! ;) And hopefully I'll still manage to get out on a fire incident. This'll be my first time setting foot out near the Rockies, and pretty much for the West (except for one week spent in western Oregon and a few days around Lake Tahoe, CA). I'm gonna take so many pictures, it ain't even gonna be funny.  ;D

ErikC

Been through there a few times. Pretty country alright. Congratulations :)

Thank You Sponsors!