iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Need help posting pictures

Started by Jeff, July 28, 2003, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

You should have no trouble using I.E. simply open it.

The picture thing should be 350. 300 actually is easier to optimize for a clearer picture, but 350 should be the widest to keep the forum format in place.

Netscape is a pain in the butt for me when I try to design something.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AndyB

I printed the instructions for posting pictures and attempted to follow them.  Was successful in getting the pictures to upload to the photo gallery but after that the instructions and what I was seeing on the screen did not track.

Would appreciate any insight.  The pictures are in jpg format, slightly less than 15K in size, no more than 350 pixels w & h.

Minnesota_boy

Are you using Internet Explorer?  I tried and tried with Mozilla and couldn't get it to work.  Internet explorer worked first try.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

Here are Tom's updated instructions. I have not updated the website yet. One of many things I need to get done.

Pictures.
The first thing to do is record your pictures in a folder on your computer. I download my pictures into a folder called "original-photos" and will read from that file but never redo a picture and overwrite it in that file. My ultimate backup.
Step Number two.
Go to www.xat.com and download either the JPG optimizer or the image optimizer. I prefer the image optimizer.

step number three
Load your computer darkroom software. It's the program that probably came with your camera. Picture it, Adobe photo home edition, HPphotosmart, Kodak? etc.

Use this software to crop your picture the way you want it and to brighten, lighten or otherwise manipulate it to look the way you want it.

Step number three.
Write this photo out into a folder where you can store it under a title that will allow you to find it later. ie. dangsawmill or dangfamily. (click on "File" and use the "save as" option.)

Step number four
Load up the optimizer you have chosen and use the size option to bring the width to 300pixels or less.
Then use the optimize option to bring the density of the photo to less than 15k.
It will take some practice so that you don't lose the definition in the picture.

Step number five
Write this picture into another folder. You could name it optimizedphotos or something like that.
When I write my picture into this file I change the name by adding my name to its front and -opt14 (the 14 being the optimized size of the picture) to the end of my original title but before the ".jpg" Make sure you are creating jpg formatted pictures. Some software, like adobe, will try to record the picture in their own format but will give you the option to create it in your selected format.

step number six
Create your post.

under the box that you create the post in will be a link for uploading your pictures to the forestry forum picture file. It reads 'upload and attach images"
Click on this link.

A window will open with the forestry forum kid on it and an address window

Click on browse

find your picture and double click it or click open. its title will appear in the upload box.
click upload.

(if your picture is less than 15k) You will see the description window where you will be told your picture successfully uploaded. Name the picture and provide a description of what it is. When you submit this you will notice a tag that says "Add this image to post". When you click on it it does a copy and paste to your clipboard. You won't notice anything happening other than a box appearing that instructs you to return to your post and click on the "insert image button" to place the picture in your post. It will be placed where you placed the cursor.

When you post your post, the image will appear where the first IMG in the URL appears.

NOTE

It is preferable that you not place pictures side by side in the post, but rather one beneath the other. If pictures are side by side you could destroy the integrity of the screen and cause it to expand beyond the design limits. That is also why it is pertinent to keep the width of the picture at or less than 300pixels.

Jeff

Hey there are two step 3s!

Usually for me there are 4 or 5 cause I read the same things over and over. :D

woodhaven

If you are using Netscape like I do. Things won't work by the instructions. I gave up a dozen times over 6 months before I finally figured a way to get it to work. Let me know if you are using Netscape and I will give you a hand. Its really not much to it but a Bear to figure out!
You sound like me when I did everything right by the numbers a million times it just wouldn't work.

Just to pick on Jeff a little. I think the instructions are out of sequence. Getting the picture right is one thing and should be seperate from loading the picture. As it is now it's all cramed into one thing.

NO I don't won't to rewrite the instructions  :D ;D
Richard

AndyB

Jeff:

The old instructions said 350 pixels w & h.  Is the 300 a change?

Woodhaven:

Yes, my ISP uses  netscape as a default which can't be changed.  I could use IE separately after I log on but that a pain in the unmentionable.

Would appreciate the info on how to make netscape work.

woodhaven

I also have both and every once in a while I'll try I.E. as soon as I need to do something I need to flip over to NS cause IE won't let me do it the way I need to. I have always used NS sence version 3. IE is to tight in the operating system and has to many open door problems for me.

Jeff I don"t use either for design they are both  really just browsers not ment for real design work.

Still running a circular mill and using NS am I stuck in my ways or what?

Andy what version of NS are you using?
Richard

AndyB

Woodhaven:

Browser = Netscape gecko rev. 0.9.4.2

Jeff:

Don't have IE on this new computer.  Guess I'll download and install it.

woodhaven

Andy,
Do you have email or fax? What I can do is send you a exact copy of the code to use. I can't post it in its exact form because it will show the picture rather than the code. If you want I can post it but I will have to change a couple of things so the picture it points to won't show.

My email is:                        woodhaven@mindspring.com
Fax when turned on:            1-757-562-2351
Richard

AndyB

AndyB

AndyB

Jeff & Woodhaven:

Finally figured out how to launch IE which my ISP apparently does not like.  Anyway, the picture was a snap using the IE.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe I'll post my new tractor w/quick release fork & bucket.

I'm a happy camper 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mark M

Hi Andy

How do you like that roof thingy over your sawmill? I've been thinking about one of those. Does it hold up well in the wind?

Mark

woodhaven

Hey Andy,
Check your mail it should be there.
Richard

AndyB

Mark - the cover over the mill is tested (if I can believe their literature) for 100mph winds.  You can also have additional rigid trusses installed if you so desire.  It's pretty well anchored.

Woodhaven - got the mail. thanks.

8)

OneWithWood

Mark,

Why do you need a roof thingy?  The pics of your new house clearly showed a garage and a saw barn.  You didn't let your wife tell you that saw barn was the servant's quarters or a rental property did ya? :-X
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodhaven

Andy,
Let me know when so I can plan for us boys to make some sawdust. I didn't know you were so close either.
Richard

AndyB

Woodhaven:

Looking at the pic of your mill you are into some serious stuff.
That thing would make the trees in VA look like toothpicks laying on the bunks.

Going on vacation to the midwest in about ten days.  When I get back will contact you for directions and a time to drop in.
   ;D

Jeff

Midwest?  I think thats where I am at? Or am I in the lakes states? Heck I dont know but drop by anyways. :)

Mark M

I'm in the midwest too - the far eastern north part of southwest North Dakota.

Mark

woodhaven

Nawwh Its just a toy. That picture was taken right after I finished building it. It needs painting again now. This picture is current. Well almost I just today finished welding on more brackets for a few more rollers. Plus am building a new engine.

Richard

AndyB

Jeff - Will be traveling IS70, 74, 80 going to Belmond, IW.  You live anywhere near those IS's?

Mark - Have a son lives in SD, but am not going to make it that far this trip.

Woodhaven - Have to talk to you about your source for rollers.  I want to fabricate a loading platform for logs.  Thought about using I beams (Jim Beam wouldn't work) with rollers.  Maybe you have some ideas that would work on the LT15.

Sure is nice to be retired and have all this time to play ;D

Captain

Decided to get on the picture bandwagon.

Yep, that's me earlier this year on a job in Braintree, Massachusetts.  This was a small pine log, but look at the Oak and Cherry staged behind!! ;D

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!