iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing mills

Started by 9shooter, March 02, 2009, 09:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I have been wanting a swing mill for a while and have checked out the Peterson and Lucas. What does the D & L mills run $$ wise? I haven't looked at them yet and was just wondering how they compare.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

okie

I am not sure  on the D L but another that is worth looking at is Brand X. If you're looking for lowest cost you are'nt likely to beat Lucas. I have one and love it.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ErikC

I think there's at least one of all the swingmills here. Peterson for me, couldn't be happier. But wait till all the votes are in before you decide. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

9shooter

I've been lusting after a swinger for quite a time. I just got out of the woods today after surveying the damage from the emerald ash borer. I have about 30 sawable ash trees that i just hate to cut into firewood. It seems like I'm always running into logs to cut and am frustrated not having a mill. I might consider building my own. The cost of buying a mill is dubious given the current economic times. I have built machinery before but haven't studied up on how to build a swinger. There would be a lot of specifications I am ignorant of like what kind of gear box to get and so forth. I do know how to weld and have access to machining. There is a premo scrap metal yard near by and I'm sure I could get any metal I need. I am in the process of getting an old semi trailer bed from them now to utilize for a bridge. $400 bucks for 48 ft. of trailer. Twin I beam.  8)

okie

I do'nt think you could go wrong with any of the swing mills available. As to making one, I think it would be hard if you have no experience with one or have'nt studied one. That being said, once you really look at how they tick (mine anyway) there really is'nt much to em. As far as price goes, you can find buys, but you got to look and look hard. When I bought my mill I got it for half of what a new one would cost at that time and it only had 75 hours of use.
Good luck.

Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

TinMan

9 shooter

There aint a whole lot to them ;D. I Owned a Peterson ATS 8 for a while. Had to sell it, didnt want to. Great mill!!! Mine had a 27 hp kohler. you could danG near pull that thing trough a cut as fast as you wanted. Apparently I never got over the bug coz now im building one from scratch. There are a few guys on here that have built there own mills. Firebass and dangerous Dan, and a few others lurking just waiting for the right moment to give it a go. Its no small undertaking, but if you have the desire and skill to build stuff, and a little time, I say go for it. Check into a used one if yer in a hurry to make sawdust 8) 8)...

Tracy

Oldsawdust

I also looked hard at all swingmills before I got a D&L 10" with 30 Horse power, In my opinion the D&L Improved on the lucus and Peterson in many ways. Give Me a Email and we can talk. 8) 8)
Help-I'am new at this

9shooter

I'm not sure when I'll get the time to build a swinger. I've been stewing about building  a wood gasification boiler for a while and that might come first. I have studied up on those. Several nights i can't sleep because the brain won't shut up about designs.  :P The mill is starting to get me the same way. I just retired and I do have more disposable time, but there are priorities. I tried to buy 2 different mills at auctions but the other guy was set at getting the mills at any price. I keep looking around.

firefighter

I purchased a new Peterson mill in december ,did alot of looking ,after talking to one of there consultant I bought it .If you go on there web site you can talk to them on line .good luck in your choice.

wdncno

I have a D & L SB 10" with 30 HP.  I don't think I should talk about it on a public forum- PM me and I'll give you my 2 cents worth. My suggestion to anybody is make sure you see the ACTUAL MILL YOU ARE GETTING BEFORE YOU LAY YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY DOWN.

woodsteach

I have a brand x and it has served me very well \.  It holds up to oops dropped that log.  I liked the steel vrs alum.  but it is not very portable compared to the Peterson and Lucas mills. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

aburge

I looked for a couple of years before I found a good deal on a second hand mill( maybe 3rd hand ) ended up being Tinmans  original saw. 
It is a Peterson 8" ATS and couldn't be more satisified with it.  So I just wanted to thank Tinman and Burlkraft for giving me the chance to purchase this fine unit.

Albert

TinMan

Thanks Albert ;D

Its a great mill isn't it.. 8) 8) 8)

Any pics yet ???

ErikC

Hey Woodsteach, doesn't the Brand X have a track setup more like a bandmill, that allows for log turning if needed? Might be something to think on if a guy wants to grade saw hardwoods much. :) You own it, fill in my sketchy details :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Part_Timer

9shooter

I bought an 8"ATS and love it.  The only thing I regret is that I didn't get the 27hp, mine wears a 25hp.  Yes there is a big differance in the 2 hp.  I also stock some Peterson parts here in the USA for them if you would ever need em.

If your ever around Warren IN give a shout and come on over and run mine for a bit.  You'll be hooked for sure.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

tomtrees

I got the perterson  8 inch ATS with the honda 24 hp one big advantage on the ATS is that you can get the tracks up in the air just in-case oops  :o some one droped that log.

What motor have you got 9shooter have you got the kohler? I have a kohler 27 on a stump grinder and would change it for a honda 24 any day and I still think I would have the same real power. The kohler looks well built and is solid but I think you have to spank the thing to get 27 hp.

By-the-way I also like the peterson 8 inch ATS it seems a lot of people have gone that same way

Tom

ErikC

The Peterson tracks will take a pretty good blow. I have picked a couple of logs back up off mine. ::) Never feels good though. :-[

9shooter

I don't have a mill yet. I will be going to look at a Peterson maybe next week. Meanwhile, I will be trying to figure out how much wood I can potentially sell. There is going to be a lot of ash dying locally and it can't be moved without debarking it. I can saw it right in the woods and just move the boards. I know ash is pretty low value right now but there will be lots of sawing to do.

Meadows Miller

Gday

9shooter I have an 98model 8-20 Lucas and the only thing i can say about it is that i should have brought one years  ago Its going out on its First portable job sawing about 8000 bft of free  4' dia Pine form a clearing job a mates doing on a fenceline ;) ive done over  a couple thousand hours on the 2nd lucas ever made  from when i was 20yo ;) ;D 8)
that being said i have also done about a hundred hours on a Peterson 8" Wpf with a 24 honda  and they are a well made sawmill  ;) ;D 8) but alittle steeper in price than the lucas mill  ;) Its just upto you to decide which one suits You Best  ;)  ;D
Good Luck Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

VanWild

I've been running a Brand X for 5 years, sawn nearly half a million BF.  The track isn't what I'd call mobile, but I set 3 perminent tracks in various parts of western Montana.  I haul the power head and my skidder/loader in one load. 

woodsteach

Welcome vanwild, it is nice to have another brandx mill owner on the forum.  Take some pix of your setup sometime we love pictues.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

woodbowl

Quote from: TinMan on March 03, 2009, 01:50:14 AM

Apparently I never got over the bug coz now im building one from scratch.

Yup! And we're all still here waiting for your thread to pop back up with the latest additions.   ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

tyb525

Have you considered a bandmill?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!