iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw? Husky,sthil, or maybe echo.

Started by PA_LOGGER, March 02, 2009, 08:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_LOGGER

Now that im into logging full time I really need to upgrade from this POS poulanpro 46cc 20" bar saw. My question whats a good CC motor to have and a good length bar to have on a Pro saw?? I was thinking 80-90cc and a 28" bar what does everyone think?
Toys at work.
2008 Western Star 4900sa log truck with 625hp Cat
2008 Cat 541 Feller buncher
Looking for a new skidder

wannabeonetoo

80-90cc and 28" bar,now thats what I call jumpin' in with both feet !!! If you can lug the weight from tree to tree then I guess you should abide by the "there's no replacement for displacement" rule  8).
Oh yeah, I'm not a logger so don't take my comments seriously  ;D
Steve

beenthere

Quote from: PA_LOGGER on March 02, 2009, 08:31:20 AM
............ I was thinking 80-90cc and a 28" bar what does everyone think?

"Everyone" won't think that  ::) ::)

Is your 20" bar too short for the size trees you are expecting to fell?

I'd be thinkin, and suggesting, the Stihl MS361.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

What size timber will you be working with. With all due respect, I surmise you have limited experience logging. Get in with experienced people and proper training like the Game of Logging.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sbhooper

I have not dealt with the pro-level Echos, but based on my experience with a small one, I don't think they have the quality of a Husky or Stihl.  I will not buy another one.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

smith2bj

I have the stihl 361 and really enjoy it.  It has good power and is little enough to cut the whole day with.  I am currently running a 20" on it and would really go any bigger then that on any hard wood trees.  I would say to look at the 441, 460 or even the 660 if you want to run that larger bar.  I would even recomend looking at Jonsered saws.  I have a couple of friends who own them and love them.

PA_LOGGER

Ive been doing it off and on my life. 18years old now working for a good company the 20" bar isnt bad for most of our trees a little bigger wont heart thats why im thinking 24" or 28" now im not all to sure what CC i should get though my cuz runs a 80cc saw with a 28" bar, but do you need that much?

Ive been looking at 2 huskys a 357xp or 372xp! any thoughts?
Toys at work.

ErikC

If you want a saw like that, look at a stihl 460. A lot of guys here including me are big fans. If you are logging full time, you will just have to get used to packing a saw the size you need for the job. Here on the west coast, many a faller has spent his 6 hours packing a stihl 066 with a 3' bar in ground so steep you have to hold on with one hand. That's the job, and that's that. We are no tougher here than you guys there, and you will get used to it if you aren't already. You will not be sorry running a powerful saw all day if you are trying to put wood on the ground. Good luck, be careful.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Old_Hickory

PA Logger  check the for sale  board here I have  practically a new 372XP there
gotta love those XP saws

woodtroll

What size stuff you cutting? If you are thinning, go medium 372/or 460's, if you are felling larger hardwoods a 660 would be good. Stick with sthil or husky, maybe a dolmar if you have a good dealer. I agree you pack it all day and you get use to it. Do not skimp on your saw.

PA_LOGGER

alll of the wood we cut is average size no really big over groth around here a few here and there thats about it. I dont want to skimp on the saw trhats why i was thinking of going big. HAHA
Toys at work.

beenthere

Well there are those guys who like BIG.... :D :D :D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: PA_LOGGER on March 02, 2009, 02:05:01 PM
alll of the wood we cut is average size no really big over groth around here a few here and there thats about it. I dont want to skimp on the saw trhats why i was thinking of going big. HAHA

"Average size" means something quite different in different parts of the country. If you aren't Regularly cutting trees over 24", a 28" bar can be more trouble than it's worth. Even a 20" bar would be overkill for me most of the time, since "average" for me is under 16". On the occasion that a 16" bar won't go all the way through, I just go at it from both sides. If I know I'm going to be working a stand of larger diameters, I'd put on a bigger bar. But that's just me. YMMV

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

I run a 80cc Dolmar with a 28" bar, and I'm Harry Homeowner. But thats just because of the size of trees we have. We have had to walk away from some, just not enough saw to take them down safely, but up to 50" dia, no worries. The PS7900 would actually be better balanced with a 24" bar, but it runs the 28" no worries. 

If you only need a 20" bar, a good 60cc saw like a MS361 is ideal. It's lighter and will cut the smaller stuff just as well as a heavier saw.

70cc works good with a 24" bar if you want a little more, and the Husky 372 is one of the best in that range.

But hauling more saw than you need through the woods all day is just hard work and probably slows you down in the end.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_LOGGER

I think Ive got it down to the 372xp g or 385xp g not sure if the 10cc more is needed in the 385, but its still there the 372 should take care of all of the trees around here most are on average 14"-20" I also think im going with a 24" bar. Thanks for all the imput.
Toys at work.

Rocky_J

There's a fair weight difference between the two, but you're a big, young guy so you can handle it.  ;)

Dave Shepard

I'd pick the 372 with 24" over the 385 for trees in that range. Then again, if that wasn't enough, I'd skip the 385 and go to the 395. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

567paloggger

pa logger what part of pa are you in ive been in the business for awhile u should have a smaller saw like the 346xp and then go big 395xp or the 385 for those ocastional big trees i only use huskys i prefer a 357xp with 18 inch bar but i do like my 346 and for the big guys 395 with 25inch bar and 32inch bar let me know what part of pa your in im in northeast

PA_LOGGER

northeast here too. Thanks for the help
Toys at work.

567paloggger

what part of north east im about 15min outside of honesdale in pleasant mount

567paloggger

just to let you know your not gonna want to be lugging around a heavy saw

PAFaller

I'll second that. No need for more saw than you use, and there arent too many trees you cant handle with a 20 inch bar. I will take a big saw, spinning a big sprocket, with a short bar, over a long bar any day. Amount of limbing and dicing you do in hardwood tops makes a lot of difference. 372xp, 20 inch bar, 8 tooth sprocket, on well filed square chisel and you can hammer down. I run a 460 more often than not, that same setup, and with Game of Logging techniques like all the mills here want anyway you can do trees well over 30 inches DBH. Chain speed and sharpness will make you a more productive faller than just buying the biggest saw you can get ahold of!!
It ain't easy...

Maineloggerkid

I run a 385xp with a 24" bar, and I am very happy with the power. Ther is a weight difference, but I don't notice it. I'm a big guy though.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

ErikC

There is quite a difference between buying the biggest saw you can get ahold of and one big enough to do the job. A medium size saw with a 24" bar will do a lot of work. It can also handle a little bigger bar when needed. If you are going to be a full time cutter, you'll want PLENTY of grunt.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

PAFaller

I wont argue the needing grunt, but grunt is relative to timber. A 357 husky or 361 stihl has plenty of grunt in 12 inch spruce and fir. 14-20 inch size class timber is not all that big, so a 372 should have enough grunt. ANd they have a buncher, so most of the work is probably limbing anyway. Not trying to start a war, there is no right answer to the what saw is best question anyway ;)
It ain't easy...

Thank You Sponsors!