iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using clamps?

Started by WoodChucker, August 05, 2003, 09:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Fla_Deadheader

I do believe I got the gear motor you mention.  Oh well  I can always return it. :-/

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Fla._Deadheader

Termite, You DO have the wrong motor for the clamp. The Lear Siegler would do the job. I MAY get some flak from "D" on this one, ;D, but, the Torque is more important to me, than the speed.
  The motor I use has 68 in/lbs, listed. It's a gearmotor. Surplus Center MAY have a few left. Call them. The part # is 5-1333, Bison Brand. The output shaft is 4½" long. Gives ya room to play. We cut most of it off. ??? They will exchange the other one, IF, ya got it from them.
   On the Swinger we are building, we are going to use wheelchair motors. They have torque and are geared and are 24V-reversible. Run around $100.00 or maybe less???
   When it contacts the log, it will usually move it against the stops. It will "lug" and put some serious pressure against the log or cant. Occasionally, I may have to help it. The SS protector strips are NOT worn shiny yet  ::).
   I substituted an outboard motor starter motor, to get more speed, and "lost" the "PUSH". Size of the sprockets is not a great concern, AS LONG AS, there is room for them, so the log won't hit them, when ya load one. AS I mentioned before, we geared UP about maybe 8 teeth more than the driven sprocket, to get a little more speed. There IS a compromise that has to be reached, so ya get the max torque, without losing speed.
   My info may not be according to the book, so, take it with a grain of salt, BUT, it works for us  ::) ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Termite,
I ran a few figures, with the following estimates: The 1/4 hp Lear motor is a gearmotor with an rpm of 194 and has approx. 70 inch- ounces if torque. I used info for a steel shaft with a bronze nut (no grease)

Using  a 1 to 1 ratio (driving the screw at 194 rpm) will give you 32.3 inches of travel per minute.  This will give you a clamping force of 90lbs (more with grease).
I would use a 24tooth sprocket on the motor and 32 on the threaded shaft. This would give you a travel time of 2ft per min. with a clamping force of 120lbs. That is using 24volts.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for that "D". I KNEW you would figger that for us ;D
  My guess was pretty close at 8 teeth difference. :o
   That'll give ya a little more speed, with a tick more torque.
  I LOVE it when things add up once in a while. ;D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pappy

Fla._Deadheader, and D._Frederick,

Thanks for all of the input!!!! :) :) :)

Ain't the web a great place where three guys from about the three furthest places from each other in the country working on a log clamp!! Amazing!! 8) 8)

I'm gonna order what I need and put this clamp together and I'll let you know how it works and post some pics. ;D

again thank you guys so much.

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Fla._Deadheader

HAH. Ya think all this info is great???
  Jest wait'll ya get the consultation bill :o :o
   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lickskillet

Well, WoodChucker and all, I just found out why ya'll don't like to use clamps. I was cutting 2" cedar boards with natural edges for rustic furniture and buried my blade in the clamp for my first time. It went 1/3 way through the clamp, cut the chain on the lift and turned my blade teeth to nubs. Then I had to get it out of the log.:-[
I guess I'm now one of a fine breed of sawyers. 8)
What a waste of a good hour. I'm sure that's the last time. Right! ::)
Lickskillet

Fla._Deadheader

I ain't never sawed all that much at one time. You must be one of them "Super Sawyers".??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

What is the SUPER blade that you using?? Must be one hell of a blade to cut that must steel.

Lickskillet

I believe its Simonds. Bought through Cook's Saw. Good blades! (Was a good blade) :(

Thank You Sponsors!