iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinion Please

Started by jim king, March 01, 2009, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I am trying to come up with a new flooring line.  Have I been here to long or would these sell in North America.

bmill

I sure like them!  Like everything, I'm sure the price will be the first question asked. Maybe you could send me enough for my little cabin I'm going to build this summer.  8)
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

ErikC

The way it looks won't be a problem. Really beautiful flooring. If the price is good I bet it would sell. Not much being built right now though... :-\
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Warbird

What kind of wood is that?  Price & durability would be my first questions.  I'd be happy to test a bunch of it out for you.  ;)  It looks very nice.

Dave Shepard

I'm guessing durability will be outstanding. :D Their softwoods are a little harder than our hardest woods. I really like that first one. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Riles

I think it would be a niche market. Not based on the species, but on the high contrast of colors within each board. More rustic, cabin type flooring.

I think the average homeowner or decorator would find it easier to make things match in the room when the flooring is a more uniform color. The contrast between the sapwood and heartwood really draws the eye to the floor.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

jim king

The woods from top to bottom are "Tigre Caspi"  Which is almost a duplicate of "Gancalo Alves" which is marketed out of Brazil as "Tiger Wood" and sells quite well in the States.  The advantage to "Tigre Caspi is that id does not darken in a couple of years and loose the colors like "Gancalo Alves..

The second wood  is "Orange Agate"  which is almost identical to "Cocobolo" and again does not change color and turn almost black as most "Cocobolos" and has no allergic reaction as "Cocobolo."

The third wood down is "Limoncillo"  Also color fast and the hardest wood we have.

The fourth wood is "Dalmation"  it usually has a nicer grain than this sample.

We plan on producing with and without sapwood.  These woods are HARD and heavy.

I am hoping for a price of $4.00 for pegged, predrilled, sanded 3/4 inch solid perfect face delivered to the North American distributors.

ID4ster

A lot of hardwood flooring sold now is just a veneer over a composite underlayment that you put down like tiles and lock together. Your stuff looks great. Lumber Liquidators is a big outfit up here that sells that type of flooring. If you want I can probably take a trip to a flooring store and get the names of some other companies that handle that material. Just how heavy is it per square foot and do you have the capability to lock it together? The building market is lousy right now but things will get better someday.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

jim king

ID4ster:

I would appreciate any info, ideas or help anyone can supply.  I dont understand locked together but it will be T&G and endmatched.  I forgot to say that they average about 5 pounds a sf for 3/4 at 6-8% MC.

Jim

fstedy

Should sell people seem to like the nail holes in reclaimed lumber. Helps if you can market under lumber from a sustainable source. The liberals are funny about that. Good luck with the marketing.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Lanier_Lurker

5 pounds per square foot?

That must be some dense stuff.

jim king

The only one that floats is Tigre Caspi when dry.  When they are fresh it would be very difficult to find a floater.

Fla._Deadheader

Jim
The manufactured flooring has a sort of tongue and groove, but, it's not the same as you would know about. You install the second piece to the first, by, raising up the edge that "locks" , at about a 30° angle, push to the first piece, and push down to the floor. It "Clicks" and snaps into a locked position. You can simple pick up the non-contact edge and "unlock" the piece from the first.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Chico

Good looking wood I would definately use it if the price was right make some excellent paneling also I know a guy who did a room in Tiger wood He ran it on 45 degrees and inverted it at the center of the walls Beautiful Room. It really saws well we sawed some while I was in Abatatuba ,Brazil as you say it doesn't relly change as far as the hue of the wood
Chico

My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

asy

WOW they're truly glorious.

I'd happily use any one of them, but especially 1&3.

Unfortunately, unless you start exporting to AUS, I'm not much good to you, but if a Woman's perspective is of any use, they're certainly VERY appealing.

asy :)
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!