iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Googled My address looked at my mill and saw me working

Started by just_sawing, February 27, 2009, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I can now prove I am a working stiff. Google has documented it. Google earth is a strange new thing to think about.
It is strange that from the projects I can pretty well figure out when they did the deed.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

MaddiesDad

Googlestreet view shows our plant and my truck out front. 

MikeH

As if the aerial view wasn't wierd enough, now they have a street view of most places. What's next?  Maybe a live shot 24/7 along with gps in all cars to check you gas usage.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ScottAR

The old overhead view they had featured one of my project vehicles
poking out from under a tree.  The current street view features my
backhoe in the driveway...  The neighbors love me...   :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

bandmiller2

Is this super google earth free or do I have to shuck out hard earned coins.??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberfaller390

it is free and pretty cool the first time you see it but then you start to get a little paranoid about the whole  thing
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Sawyerfortyish

I'm 3/4 of a mile off the road so nobody can see me or what goes on or so I thought  :-[. This puts a whole new twist in the privacy act.

bandmiller2

If you were in the tavern having a cold one you wouldn't have been spotted,but be sure to park your truck under a tree.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

okie

I just plain do'nt like it. Do'nt think it's right at all >:(. Feels kinda like someone's looking through your bedroom curtains.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

timberfaller390

Took me awhile to figure this out but while you are looking at the airieal view you can also click the little man in the upper left corner and drag him to your street and get a 360 view of your place just like you are standing on the yellow line in the middle of your street. Note: some streets have not been videoed yet.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ErikC

Well, one more good thing about living 1/2 mile past a locked gate on a dead end is the street side photo won't be up for a while. I'm sure they have all the overhead pictures they need though. Makes you want some privacy, doesn't it?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Toolman

Stop and think about it. Have you built anything. Small addition, shed or even re-shingled your roof w/out required permits. They could zoom-in every 6 months and compare with past aerial photos. Then they gotcha. This country is descending fast.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Tom

Ianab

The local authorities have probably had high res pictures similar to the Google ones for the last 50 years. I know the whole of NZ was photographed in the 50s and updated from time to time ever since. A plane flying around at 10,000 ft with a survey camera can cover a lot of country and return very high res images.

The only difference is that now we can see it from our own desktops. The local authority here has put their own photo info on their web site, better res than Google has of this area. So they had their own images all ready, and probably has had them for decades.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tcsmpsi

Well, "Google" is still so far off from my "address", that I'm not even sure what they're showing.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SuperDuty335

Quote from: okie on March 16, 2009, 11:18:15 PM
I just plain do'nt like it. Do'nt think it's right at all >:(. Feels kinda like someone's looking through your bedroom curtains.

It is in Google's best interest not to look through my bedroom curtains. :o :D

Jim H

The aerial photographs around here date back to 1937. They were used to check compliance to farm programs. It's kind of neat to compare old and new and see what has changed. Alot more clearad land back then.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

MrMoo

I also feel this is an invasion of my privacy. I do not think this should be allowed.

jpgreen

Quote from: tcsmpsi on March 17, 2009, 02:48:39 PM
Well, "Google" is still so far off from my "address", that I'm not even sure what they're showing.   ;D
Oh they were there Michael... but after a closer look they got scared off .. :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

tcsmpsi

Well, now that you mention it, they did have it right once.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

crtreedude

Truly, I am surprised - especially with how much some of us post. I would think it is merely random chance that any of us are observed working...  ::)

Just kidding. When you use google for Costa Rica, all you see is clouds, so I am safe.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Sprucegum

By the time they got to my woodlot the batteries musta been getting pretty low in the camera, everything is too fuzzy to make out.  ::)

Meadows Miller

Gday

:D :D :D :D :D ;D I get that too Spruce  ;)  I like it because No one ! can see what im upto  ;) :D ;D  But I bet the Gov't can see me but i aint had no visit yet so i think its allgood Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sparky

I looked up my sawmill's location on Google and saw nothing but a blurr. I guess the crew was working too fast to be picked up clearly on camera????

Chris, I will have detailed info arriving tomorrow, on my upcoming trip down under. I will be in touch when I have a chance to review it.

Will
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Thank You Sponsors!