iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GRITS

Started by brdmkr, February 26, 2009, 11:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I went to a wild game feast tonight.  Somebody had made a pot of grits that beat any I've ever had.  They were cooked in chicken broth with cream cheese and plenty of butter.  I have got to get that recipe.  I like grits most every way I've had them, but this is THE best. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Jeff

Dave will be proud to hear that.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Boardslayer,

Get ready for a grits bashing....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I can find a better way to use chicken broth,cream cheese and plenty of butter than that.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWM II

Boardmaker, insert your fingers in your ears and make loud noises to pretend you cant hear the nay-sayers.  ;D  ;D
Stewardship Counts!

Jeff

One look and we'll recognize him as a grits eater then.

Banjo picker

I bet them grits come from north Ga.  I got some over there one time, they called them Georgia ice cream.  Best grits i ever ate.  Don't know about chicken broth on them though.  Chicken broth on icecream. :o  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Take away them grits and she still tastes the same. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

SD .  Do you mean you have had grits?  You must have done a little traveling.  I went to New Hampshire and even made it a little over in Maine, and I had a hard time finding a good biscuit, I am pretty sure grits was not on the menu up there.  We stopped at a eat joint in New Jersey on the way up about 4 or 5  one morning, and they had it looked to me like every kind of bread kown to man.  But I got a rather short answer when I asked about grits and biscuits.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

SD I ment to put in a few  :D :D :D in that last one .  Don't get mad at me.  Tim

SwampDonkey

I don't get mad over nothing typed in here. Mostly only the government bureaucracy can do that. :D The stuff can't be much different than cooked corn meal cereal. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

olyman

Quote from: thecfarm on February 27, 2009, 07:40:17 AM
I can find a better way to use chicken broth,cream cheese and plenty of butter than that.   ;D
:D :D :D

Chico

Did you get them at the grist mill close to Helen Banjo-picker They sure all good

Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Banjo picker

Quote from: Chico on March 01, 2009, 10:21:35 AM
Did you get them at the grist mill close to Helen Banjo-picker They sure all good

Chico

Thats the one.  We got one bag an put in the freezer.  Tim

srt

I spend a few days per month down on our farm on Maryland's Eastern Shore.  The best part of my trips is the meals with my Grandmother.  She's still real sharp at 90, and insists upon cooking all meals for me while I'm there.  I have recently convinced her that I can't continue to eat three of her meals per day, and should just have bfast and supper with maybe a light snack near noon.  It's hard to get any work done when you have difficulty bending over to tie your shoes!

About a year ago, I mentioned I liked grits.  She said she didn't like them, but had only tried them once as a kid passing through Georgia.

My next trip, she surprised me with runny grits.  I thanked her, ate all of them, and mentioned I generally don't use that much water.

By the next trip, she'd perfected her recipe.  Nothing measured, but the general proportions are:  A few handfuls of grits and about a cup or so of water and 2 beef bulion cubes all in a slow cooker for a couple hours.  Let cool and add an egg to make them into grit cakes.  Fry the cakes in on a griddle slathered with bacon grease.

We both now enjoy grits together - every breakfast!

She's a right fair poker player too.

Tom

It sounds like your Grandmother would have made out OK down here. :)

WDH

I had grits and eggs today in Louisana.  They were very good!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CHARLIE

I had grits and eggs and sausage up here in Wisconsin this morning and they were also very good.  Good to the extreme! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paul_H

I just had a feed of Ham,eggs and grits,twas good!

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

dail_h

Two pieces of leftover chicken nuked ,grits ,coffee and fried garlic/ramp toast worked purdy good here in WV this morning. I nuked tha chicken, not tha grits. Shooo ,that'ud be sacrilidge,or blasphemy,or some such.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

John Woodworth

Never had or seen them, what are they and how do you cook them?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

CHARLIE

John, Grits is the Manna that is so good it feeds a person's soul.  Potato eaters haven't learned that yet but not that they haven't been educated.  I  believe they are hard of hearing.

Grits is ground corn and the best is water ground grits. They are easy to fix.  Four parts water to 1 part grits and salt to taste.  Boil the water and add the grits (NEVER use Instant Grits 'cause its a sacriledge) and salt.  Bring back to a boil and turn heat down to simmer. Stir occasionally and cook to the consistency that you can use a fork to pick it up. You don't want it to be soupy.

Grits are a great side dish for a breakfast of eggs and sausage, bacon or fried ham. Just put butter on them (NEVER put sugar on grits!).  If you have fried ham, ham gravy is good on grits too.  Grits are also good as a side dish for fried fish and hushpuppies.

There are recipes for grits too and Cheese Grits is the most popular, but there is also Shrimp Grits and Garlic Grits and some others. I personally just like my grits with butter and a little egg or sausage.

Smart people eat grits.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paul_H

Quote from: CHARLIE on April 02, 2009, 11:19:39 PM

There are recipes for grits too and Cheese Grits is the most popular, but there is also Shrimp Grits and Garlic Grits and some others.

Sounds like they would be great on a baked potato  ;D

Gary_C

John, Grits is the Manna that is so good it feeds a person's soul.  Potato eaters haven't learned that yet but not that they haven't been educated.  I  believe they are hard of hearing.

It's not that we haven't been educated as I've also been educated to the fact that everyone should know and understand Maxwell's Equations for the good of their soul, but still cheesy fries or just regular fries are better feed than grits.

And we all know that the harder that someone tries to convince a person of that grits thing, the less likely one is to believe them.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

A split open baked potato, a dob of sour cream and topped with a sprinkle of bacon bits and melted aged sharp cheddar cheese. Ain't no one gonna convince me that ain't good, hide and all. Most fellas that don't have their own and buy them light burned spuds off the supermarket shelf, wouldn't have experienced a good tater. Them ain't fit to eat, but often I find myself buying them because of convenience. I pick a bunch in fall from the fields though, mine froze in January when it went -25 C. I keep them in the stairway into the cellar, not heated there. Cellar is too warm. :/

WDH

Let the grit wars continue  :).

Gary_C

I thought the war was over?   ;D

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

okie

My favorite ways to eat grits are: Grits with bacon crumpled up and a dob of bacon grease and chopped green onions. We ate this alot growin up especially this time of year when the wild onions are comin up. My absolute favorite way, although I've been told it's a sin, is grits butter and honey. There just aint much better than that, and I promise you it's good honey n all. Course I'm just real fond of honey and butter.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

SwampDonkey

Need a napkin? ;)

Gary_C

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 03, 2009, 10:28:12 AM

Who won?

Can't say or they'll get all riled up again.  ;D

Tom

It's not a War with a winner, it's a war of self defence.  For some reason, It's difficult to get grits in the South any more.  Well, in the traveling type restaurants anyway.  There was a time when it took an act of God to get them off of your plate.  If you order hashbrowns, as most foreigners did, they still came with grits.  Now you have to hunt for the small print in Denny's to find that grits are offered as a "side".   It began happening when we were inundated with all those foreigners who didn't know what Grits were and didn't believe in the old adage, "When in Rome......".   They sneaked in here, bought up the restaurants, took over the government, bought up most of the land and the staples (not you Don :D) of the south are all but dissappearing.  You have to know a real  Southerner pretty intimately down here  to be able to get real Southern Food.   :P :D

When they get through fixing us, there won't be anymore Southern stuff.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Well, cooking my smoked herring. Gonna scoop out a great big spoon of potato salad to. ;D Now, you's talk about hard to find grits. Herring is getting scarce as hens teeth. It's one of them good oily fish. This mess it wrapped in some plastic case and ya boil it in.  :-X ::) We used to get it fresh and boil on top of the taters.  :) Talk about foreigners coming and taking our food away, only this is offshore.  :-X

Tom

I like Herring.  But, the only Herring I've ever eaten were Kippered Herring cooked in a can like you would sardines.   They are super good.  I like them most anyway, but especially on saltine crackers with a dab of Salad Mustard.  Fine eating.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Brunswick or Connor Brothers? ;D

Paul_H

CHARLIE

An old chines proverb says; "A hurt dog hollers the loudest."  Well, I mention grits and the taterheads started yowling.   :D
Charlie

Gary_C

Quote from: CHARLIE on April 04, 2009, 12:09:00 AM
An old chines proverb says; "A hurt dog hollers the loudest."  Well, I mention grits and the taterheads started yowling.   :D

But I think Tom hollered the loudest. What was it you called him, a hurt dog?   ;D

SwampDonkey

I think Charlie kicked the dog.  :D :D

Tom

grmble^)(^#&#%%mmbl#7$pout

Jeff

This sounds like a retooled quote I just heard yesterday on an old rerun of Bonanza.

The guy was wearing a top hat and hauling around a wagon of some sort of elixir that was the cure all for everything that can ail a man. 

I forget exactly what it was Hoss called him.

Corley5

Oh ya  ???  Well I don't like baked potatoes in the least no matter what they're topped with.  With the purchase of her 1st mocrowave oven Mom fed Dad and I nuked potatoes at what seemed like every meal for too long.  I haven't eaten a baked potato in years and don't care if I ever do again  :)  Grits with cheese and bacon sounds pretty DanG good  8) 8)  I haven't had any grits since my last Fl. excursion last fall.  All we can get up here is the instant kind and I don't want to violate any rules by consuming them  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Well I'm just tickled to death that most yankees and Canuckidadians don't care for grits.  It's bad enough that a few of the brightest members of those groups, like Corley5 and Paul_H have discovered them.  Can you imagine what would happen to the price if everybody up there started sucking all of them up? :o :o  Just look what happened when they discovered sweet taters! >:(  Next thing ya know, they'll figger out how good watermelons are and the price of them will go up over a dollar apiece!  Y'all just need to clam up about the grits before things get outta hand!

BTW Swampdonkey, we got taters too.  They're pretty good if ya put enough tasty stuff on them.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Them things you call sweet taters are just about like grits in these parts.Only a little small space is allowed for them.It's almost like a lot of things that come from the south.Like the way we treat flat landers in Maine.We only have a small space for that too.Most never get out of Kittery or Portland or the L.L. Bean area.We only give them a small piece of Maine to see.Of course if they do try to come inland more we just throw some snow on them and than they leave for good and never return to this cold state again and can't understand why anyone would live in such a state.  ;D
When I was growing up grits and them sweet things were not found around here.But some flat landers were to dumb to go back,even with the snow treatment.Every year we throw snow on them,but every spring they keep popping up like tulips do at this time of year.We won't give up.There is always next year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Mom said she has to have her taters. She went on about why, but it might get a little testy in here. :D :D

Quote from: DanG on April 04, 2009, 11:19:28 AM
BTW Swampdonkey, we got taters too. They're pretty good [stop]

Yup, I knows. ;)

Mooseherder

I finally made the first batch of Grits today from the bag I had bought from the extreme Grits man.  I used 4 cups of water to 1 cup of grits.
We had guests in town who were both Southern bred and they liked my Grits.  I asked them what they liked about them. ;D
One put sugar on them, one put butter on them.  They told me most people like cheese on them so I offered them some cheese.  :D  I had butter and salt on mine.  They were okay/good.  I made some killer Omelettes too!. :D

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2009, 11:33:32 AM
they leave for good and never return to this cold state again and can't understand why anyone would live in such a state.  ;D

Grits might warm y'all up a little bit and make y'all a bit more more sociable.  A person needs to keep learning and growing throughout life.  A few grits might make y'all more amenable  ;D.

Chico

Fried crappie  or catfish and cheese grits don't get no better
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Modat22

fried crumbled sausage (hot) with extra onion and garlic, toss in pre-cooked grits and stir fry. then make a empty spot in the center of the frying pan and scramble 3 or 4 eggs. Mix it all up, add hot sauce to taste.

Tiss good stuff

P.S. don't use instant grits... (evil things)
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

I've come to the conclusion that some people will eat anything, just as long as they feel full. Doesn't matter what they put in there. I'm hiding the buckwheat pancake batter. :D :D :D

WDH

Next thing we know, SD, you will be eatin' popple.  I bet that will give you the full feeling  ;D.

TexasTimbers

Hey brdmkr I think if you would read the FOOD!3  section more often you would have discovered GRITS! long before now and would be a real southerner, with all the attendant benefits which come with that internationally-acclaimed distinction. :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!