iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 61 bar length? opinions please

Started by medic1289, February 26, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic1289

Recently bought an older 61, (most of my model deciding research was done here, actually). Got it running, a chain brake installed, etc.  Came w/ a 16" bar and I need to go longer.  Will be used for felling mainly.  Looks like the factory recommended max is 20".

Decided to tap the vast experience pool that dwells within this place.

You guys that have run 61s:  How long of a bar you you suggest?  At what point have you found that the length is overcome by bad balance? 

I know there's no right answer, just want to hear your thoughts. Just to be fair, I'm thinkin 20" to 24"

thanks all, sy

Rocky_J

18"-20" for that size saw. If you want to run a 24" you'll want more power.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Sy,I have two 61's and like an 18" bar seems a good fit and balance.You can slay a big tree with an 18" bar,and have fewer cutters to file.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chipsfly09

I have a 162--  Little more power with the 16" but I also run a 20" and it is fine

thedeeredude

We have one with a 20" and one with a 24". I much prefer the 20".  It cuts quick if its actually running. ::)  The 24" bar is worn out real bad, that doesn't help, and thats a whole nuther can of worms that should just stay shut.  Were running stihl 33rsc chain on the 20 and 33rm on the 24. 

Tom

My 61 was set up with a 20" bar when it was new. I've never had any reason to change it.  It's felled a few large trees, but most in the 20" to 30" range.  It has split large logs for the sawmill, trimmed limbs and stubbs,sawed up stacks of slabs and a lot of firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!