iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframing class in the Southeast

Started by Dan_Lambert, February 26, 2009, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Lambert

I'm interested in participating in a timber framing class somewhere within reasonable distance of Atlanta.

I would like your input on classes offered in the area, and if anyone has a specific recommendation.

Thanks in advance. I'm a fairly accomplished woodworker, but I want to expand into doing timber framing in a proper manner, and I want to learn how it SHOULD be done, rather than trying to learn as I go.

Dan
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

sheneman

You cannot go wrong with Scott Stevens and Grand Oaks Timber Framing in Tennessee:

http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com/

I took a week long class in the spring of 2007, and loved every minute of it.    It is in Paris, Tennessee which is not too   far from you.  It looks like Scott is offering classes in March and April this year as well as a Fall class.  The $550 class fee was a bargain.

If I recall correctly, Scott apprenticed with Goshen, so many of his techniques that he will share with his students were acquired there.

Good luck and enjoy!

-Luke
--
Woodmizer 25hp LT15 with 6\\\' bed extension.
Logging with a Jeep Cherokee, a Warn Winch, and a Stihl MS 260

mac37

i took aclass at goshen for aweek oct of 08 built a 10x12 hammer beam   cost was like 425 for the class and tools

Dan_Lambert

Thanks, guys. I had already considered Goshen, and was not aware of Grand Oaks. I'll look into both and see if I can work it out to make one of their classes.

I appreciate the feedback, and hopefully, someone else will chime in with another suggestion or two. I'm actually aiming to do the class in the fall, so I have a little time to decide on which one to attend.

Dan
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

witterbound

One of the questions you need to ask is what type of layout do they teach in their class?  Goshen teaches mill rule, I don't know about Grand Oaks.   A lot of folks who don't do timber framing for a living use square rule, because often timbers are not as square, or planed on 4 sides, like they are for some of the commercial outfits.   You'll be ahead of the game if you can find a class that teaches the same layout style that you plan on using. 

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: witterbound on March 01, 2009, 08:54:29 AM
You'll be ahead of the game if you can find a class that teaches the same layout style that you plan on using. 

I highly agree.

My first class was mill rule and I needed to learn square rule for the above mentioned reasons.

Mill rule is good, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to build without having your timbers professionally planed to be square and have true 90° corners then you'll need to understand and learn square rule.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moonhill

And to add, If you learn square rule first you can easily switch to mill rule with out the head scratching.  It is almost bliss when you have used rough timber and then switch to smooth, square timber with fewer housings/reductions.  How about a scribe course?  Imagine what could happen after that.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

Dan:
And of course there is another option, you could host your own class, and I'd come down there and teach you and a group about timber framing.....
Something to think about....

Jim Rogers

Jasperfield

Jim,

That sounds like a good idea. I'd come.

Incidentally, I went by Goshen's office in Franklin, NC yesterday and asked them which rule they used during their class. They told me they were using "square rule".

Their class begins this coming Monday.

Dan_Lambert

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 03, 2009, 09:01:25 AM
Dan:
And of course there is another option, you could host your own class, and I'd come down there and teach you and a group about timber framing.....
Something to think about....

Jim Rogers

That might be something to consider, Jim. I am a member of a living history group that is associated with Fort Yargo State Park. We have a good group there, and are recreating a 1790's trading post that was on the Georgia frontier.

There are several of us involved, and we might be able to get a decent group together. What would you require in the way of materials, and what sort of numbers to have a class?

ljmathias

Guess I'll chime in here- we hosted a TF class last year that Jim taught.  Overall, it was a great success although I felt we were limited by two things- one was my lack of experience in doing this which meant we weren't quite ready in terms of timbers, tools and support infrastructure (building to work in, places to sleep, all the "extra" stuff that makes a week-long school efficient and effective).  Second was the low enrollment- we didn't have quite enough to pay the bills which I ended up eating myself- not complaining because I learned a whole lot but a bigger (minimum number) class is important for two reasons: paying all the bills and actually finishing a frame.  We got some of mine done but not all, and weren't able to actually raise the frame for my workshop.  I have lots of other stuff going on right now, most not related to timberframing or finishing the workshop (highly ADD as well) so I've never gotten back into the workshop- which means it's waiting in pieces that continue to slowly age and move...

I'd be willing to consider hosting another workshop here- almost ready now in all aspects including a small house for sleeping in that would be available for attendees- but we'd have to have the numbers willing to travel here and pay the tuition: probably would need a minimum of 10-12 with a tuition of $500 each.  Main reason I haven't set this up for this year is the economy: not a lot of people with that kind of "extra" money or willing to invest in future careers right now.  Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss this more in the forum or by email or whatever, and certainly willing to help anyone else who wants input on setting up such a workshop.  There are tremendous learning opportunities- skills, knowledge and working together on layout, cutting and erecting is valuable no matter what, plus lots of fun.  Like Jim says, whatever you do have fun doing it (or something to that effect).

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jim_Rogers

Dan:
Here is the link that describes how to host a workshop.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18018.0.html

The prices for gas and such maybe different at this time.
If you want I could redo the estimate based on your location.

Jim Rogers

Dan_Lambert

Sorry it's taking me so long between replies, Jim, but I've got a lot going on right now.

I talked this over with some of the guys in my group today, and this seems to be a really good idea to them. We have a good core group, and they think we wouldn't have a problem filling out a class with people who are really interested, and eager to learn.

I'd like to pursue this further, with the idea in mind that this will be run later in the year. With the fact that this would be in Georgia, you wouldn't want to come down and do that during the summer. Sometime in the fall would be best.

If you would like, we can pursue this off line. You can contact me at my personal email address if you'd like, or we can set up a phone call. Your choice.

Thanks for the information!

Dan

Jim_Rogers

I've sent you an email via regular emails so we can start discussing it.

timberfaller390

I'd like in on this class if at all possible. Keep us posted if all goes well and yall do decide to have it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Jasperfield

Sign me up also. I'd be happy to come. Let us know.

Thanks

Dan_Lambert

Just to give folks an update, we are looking onto the possibility of having Jim do the class, but the schedule isn't firm yet.

I'll come back to this when we have a more firm date and class plan.

Jasperfield

What's the status of the proposed timber framing class? I'm still interested as I'm sure are others.

I've been looking at classes around the country which are offered this year. And am about to sign up for one out West. However; I'd rather participate in one that Jim would teach.

Is there anything I could do to help?

I have a 17' X 30' timberframe shop that could be cleared for classes, joinery, etc. And enough flat area(s) for assembly, and so forth.

Also I have:
a truck with a Fassie loader which extends about 22' we could use for assembly
a friend in the Porta-John business
a God-given talent for organizing and planning
one of the most beautiful farms in the Western Hemisphere
Summer high temperatures of 83
et cetera, et cetera

I'l be at Sawlex and stayin' at the Super8 on I-68
Jasperfield

JayG

My brother in Atlanta and myself would also like to throw our hats in as participants of the potential "timber framing class in the South". Any date is good, accept OCT 5 - 12th. That's our annual "Cruisin' the Coast". Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

I haven't heard from Dan lately..... I'll have to send him an email to see what's up.....

Jayson

I think the class is full, but there is a Guild project in Murphy NC started on the 29th. Check out on the Timber Framers Guild page. It is at the John Campbell Folk School so there is way more than timber framing to check out. Look me up if you come up.

Jasperfield

Jayson,

Your message is unclear re which class you are talking about.

Is it the Campbell class, or the one being discussed on this forum?

Jasperfield

Jayson

It is a Timberframer's Guild project. They are building a 50'x50' addition for the Campbell Folk School blacksmithing shop. You can check it out on the TFG website. Lots of a big timber on this one. They will begin cutting on the 29th of this month and begin raising on the 2nd week. As I said I believe the spaces for participants is full but you would have to call to be sure. There is lots going on at the school at that time. The blacksmiths are having a big shindig the second week, I believe. Should be some good stuff.
   Please put me on the list of people to contact if the workshop you guys are talking about materializes. And chase me down if any of you make it to Murphy. It is close to 125 miles to the school from Marietta. Do not speed, Johnny Law is hot to trot on that route.

Dan_Lambert

Sorry folks, I've been up to my eyes in that four letter word that starts with a W.

As far as I know right now, we are still going to try to put the class together. It will probably be in the spring of '10, but I don't have a definite confirmation of that yet. I'll try to work on that and get some info back pretty soon.

There are other mitigating factors in my own life, but I think this needs to go forward. There are too many people that want to do this class to just let it fall apart now.

tavern1776

This is Omer, I work with Dan at Fort Yargo and we share a work shop.  We still plan on doing a class here at Fort Yargo but a couple of details have held up the planning.  One is the state wants details not on the structure we are talking of but on the whole Fort project, no small task.  This has to go through state for approvial (goverment).  Dan has a few issues and we are working on a different person to guide the class.  We will get the details worked out but do wish to carry on with the class.

Thank You Sponsors!