iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The new mower

Started by DanG, February 26, 2009, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Back in 1998 I bought a new Craftsman lawn mower.  It served me very well for over 10 years, but I finally managed to wear it out.  Well, actually I beat the poor thing to death on roots, rough ground, tough weeds, and much more ground than it was designed to cover.  Ma Nature didn't help much when she dropped a chinaberry tree on it while I was at the Piggy Roast in '07.

Yesterday, I went to Sears and bought another one just as close to the same as I could get.  I thought I'd post a couple of pics before I commence to pounding the thing into the dirt.

This machine is a 2008 model, which is why I got it for $999.  Here's a feature I like that they decided to eliminate on the '09s.

Did ya see the fuel filter IMERC? ;) :D  This next pic is probably only of significance to me, but it show's that somebody, somewhere is actually doing a little bit of thinking.  I was worried that this machine was going to be like my Dad's and would shut down if you tried to back up with the blades engaged.  The salesman verbally confirmed my fears and said they were all like that now.  WRONG!  All ya gotta do is leave the key on that icon with the downward arrow, and you can mow backwards all day long if that's what you wanta do. ;D 8) 8) 8)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rbhunter

Nice mower and pictures.

How about some pictures of the wagon in the shed in the back ground? It looks like it is in good shape and original. What kind of running gear does it set on or any information you can give about it?

My cousin has my Grandfathers old Covered wagon in his trailer and tack shop. His dad I think has about 30 old wagons, buggies, and other things. I like looking at them. I prefer hooking them to a team and using them. Some day I would like to have my own team.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Sprucegum

8) Shiny!  8)

The thing that bugged me with my new mower - every time I lifted my butt off the seat the motor quit. Guess they didn't trust me to disengage the blade before dismounting. I outsmarted them  ;D

DanG

RBH, I got that ol' wagon at an auction for a hunnerd bucks.  It was wierd.  The thing has one bad wheel, but there was a pile of hardware and 3 wheels right next to it in a seperate lot.  It was just the remnants of what used to be a wagon like this one, but some yo-yo gave over $200 for it.  He didn't even bid on the whole wagon. ???

It's settin' on all wood running gear except for the steel tires. :) :)  I'll get ya some pics.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADAMINMO

They even put a 1-800 number on there in case you need help mowin the lawn. 8) That was nice of them. People will do about anything to make a sale! :D

DanG

That number is there in case ya can't figger out how to get the thing to cut off when you put it in reverse. :P :D :D

wi woodcutter

DanG I was wondering. Do you tend to mow the lawn in reverse a lot? In Wisconsin we normally mow going forward. Just wondering. 8)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

WDH

Here is a truth.

"Chinaberry trees fall".  It is just a fact of nature  :).  Almost as bad as pecan limbs  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I had probably one 15 years ago to mow over here before I started to live here.I was claiming back the fields than.I would cut the trees down and mow.My great theory was if I can ride over it,I'm good to go.I wasn't too hard on it with bushes,but boy the stumps were hard on it.Lasted me for 6,7 years,I think.I did have to put another motor on it.For the money,if someone, ::)  DanG,would treat them like a lawn mower,they would last a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Quote from: wi woodcutter on February 26, 2009, 04:09:55 PM
DanG I was wondering. Do you tend to mow the lawn in reverse a lot? In Wisconsin we normally mow going forward. Just wondering. 8)

:D :D :D  I wondered who was gonna bring that up.  Nah, I mostly go forward, but I have lots of nooks and crannies to deal with, so I do back up often.  It's a PITA to have to stop the blade whenever you didn't quite make the turn.

cfarm, I have a 60hp tractor and 5ft Woods cutter for the big stuff.  This little guy is gonna have it rough enough just taking care of the barnyard, and what serves as a lawn around the house.  Maybe I can take the camera on a little tour tomorrow and show ya what I mean. ;)

isawlogs

No chains on that ...  ???  :-\    I dont think mine would even turn over this time of year .  Do you need to cut the grass this early in the year ...  :o  I sure aint moving down your way . Nope .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

Should have went and bought yourself a 700 series Deere. It would last you a few lifetimes. Craftsmans are disposable mowers.  :-X

DanG

And you should have bought a Durango. ::)

chevytaHOE5674

Still mowing with me JD 314 from 1981  8). My neighbor on the other hand gets a new craftsman every 6-7 years  :-\.

okie

Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

customdave

Dang looks pretty sharp ,maybe should drop tree across hood right away, hoods pretty shiney- could get glare off it from sun & have accident. Was Bee-verage holder on other side, could not see! Anyways just trying to look out for ya, happy mowing.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

isawlogs

How much is a dear deer 700 series ....  ???   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wi woodcutter

DanG what does that mower have for a motor?

Gary_C

Quote from: isawlogs on February 26, 2009, 08:44:55 PM

How much is a dear deer 700 series ....  ???   

They are very dear. Probably more dear than you would like.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

Way back when my 314 was $2800 with a 52 or 54" mower, 54" snowplow, hydrostatic trans, hydro lift, wheel weights, chains, and weight bracket. Its been around almost 30 years now, with no signs of wearing out anytimesoon. Would have been through 4-5 craftsman's in that time, and still only have 1/4 the tractor over the years. Just IMO, seen too many craftsmans fall apart.

DanG

Thanks Dave.  Yes, the beerverage holder is on the right side. :)  I have a spot in the shed for this one.  We'll see how long that lasts, though. ::) :D  I took her for a spin this afternoon.  Rammed a few big ant hills and got some dog-doo on the tires.  It looks better now. ;D

Wi-wood, it has a 17.5hp Briggs I/C, single cylinder.

Tahoe, I bought this one specifically because it doesn't have all that stuff on it.  It is a lawnmower.  I have a real tractor for tractor work.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: DanG on February 26, 2009, 09:20:49 PM
Tahoe, I bought this one specifically because it doesn't have all that stuff on it.  It is a lawnmower.  I have a real tractor for tractor work.

I have a real tractor too, but when you have a large yard to mow and have to mow it often the creature comforts are nice, guess I just like buying good stuff once and not having to worry about it for many many years, Just IMO though.

wi woodcutter

Good luck with that Briggs! About the only thing they are good for is a boat anchor! :)

logwalker

Dan, isn't that key position for cranking the starter? Am I missing something? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Corley5

Good looking machine DanG  8) 8)  Looks like it'll do what you want  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!