iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logger clothes

Started by redneck logger, February 25, 2009, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck logger

I was wondering what you all wear like pants,shirts,boots, and anything else you migth wear.
got to love working in the woods

9shooter

I would highly recommend Duluth Trading co. clothes. I got a pair of jeans from them recently that are made from fire hose. They are tough! but very comfortable. You pay more for them but they are reputed to last a long time.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

chevytaHOE5674

When cutting, Viking timberwolf/ or redwing logger boots, chainsaw protective pants (with or without long johns), either a short or long sleeve shirt depending on weather, a carhartt coat, topped off with a Mac-T aluminum hard hat, safety glasses, and ear plugs. Try to keep dry gloves on, but that rarely works. Then on my waist is a loggers tape, and a wedge pouch.

SwampDonkey

Well it depends on what forestry work you do. For me, I'm not cutting large commercial trees for a living, but instead I'm spacing young forest stands.

Light cotton pants, can't stand Jeans for working, too heavy.

Long sleeve cotton shirt

nylon gloves with rubber webbing so my hands can breath and be protected from brush scratching them, leather gloves are useless because they get hard when your sweat dries in them and turn to mush in the rain.

ear plugs

hard hat

Viking caulk boots

safety 'screened' glasses

ansil pack on my brush saw harness and one on my gas jug.

water can with hand pump on the front of the work strip.

I don't even need fly dope, if the flies are bothering you, you ain't working. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberfaller390

Caulk boots, wild ass pants from bailey's, saw chaps, shirt for weather (sleeveless in summer) and a skull bucket on top with bug eyez and ear plugs.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Woodhog

I find this stuff to be a good line of gear for your area...

http://www.richlu.com/index.cfm?PageID=2

Their gloves are really tough... also the double pants are very strong....

Go to your local Frenchys and get an a few old coats with a hoodie built in for winter 3 or 4 bucks a piece, by the end of winter they will be all ripped to pieces and just throw them out.

When you take a break its nice to be able to put on the coat and pull up the hoodie in place of the wet stinking hard hat....

Dan_Marino

ErikC

I like Big bill pants and shirts, because they cost a lot less than Carharrt and they have 'em in town here. I get heavy shirts at thrift stores mostly, sometimes even a Pendleton or Woolrich will be only a few bucks. I can get a whole winters worth for $25. Whites and Danner are my favorite boots, don't be cheap in the footwear department.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ontariologger

sthil logging pants or chaps depends on weather, viking caulk boots, orange t-shirts with the X on the back in the summer, in the winter a few old sweathers and a carharrt coat on top with a reflevtive vest so skidder operator can see me. i also have a belt i wear for wedges tools and water.Have to have my hard hat and muffs with protictive mesh screen. oh and a good pair of winter gloves. never wear gloves in the summer

a old timberjack

labonville black logger pants, with there full wrap chaps, t-shirt,  turtle neck with a carhart long sleeve henly shirt and a peltor system helmet ( well, thats what i wore today ) :)
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Clark

If I could afford it, I would wear only Filson single tin, dry-finish pants during the summer.  I've yet to meet another pair of pants as durable and light as they are.  Granted, the price tag tends to make me buy other brands...

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

TerryB

Quote from: 9shooter on February 25, 2009, 05:21:00 PM
I would highly recommend Duluth Trading co. clothes. I got a pair of jeans from them recently that are made from fire hose. They are tough! but very comfortable. You pay more for them but they are reputed to last a long time.

A friend of mine was just bragging about those fire hose pants.  Since he's a firefighter I thought he was full of it, but I might give 'em another look.

ErikC

Quote from: Clark on February 26, 2009, 11:39:32 PM
If I could afford it, I would wear only Filson single tin, dry-finish pants during the summer.  I've yet to meet another pair of pants as durable and light as they are.  Granted, the price tag tends to make me buy other brands...

Clark

I am a filson fan as well, I have a pair of those dry finish that I wear hunting, they are great. I wear lower priced pants for everyday work, but have the heavy tin raingear, that stuff is not easily worn out.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Almost bought a Carharrt coat this fall. They aren't expensive at all, about $100 bucks has a hood. I looked at them hard. I think the overalls are about the same price. Be good for a skidder operator, but too heavy for the guy that's felling and limbing. I'd be too hot unless it's 20 below F. I'm hot just snow shoeing with more than a couple sweaters and a FF jacket.  :D 30 F here this morning.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RSteiner

I noticed that both Ontariologger and Swamp Donkey mentioned wearing Viking caulk boots.  Are these the orange rubber/canvas boots?

I recently purchased my first pair of Viking boots, my first pair of caulk boots, that are rubber
slip-ons.  So far I really like them on ice and snow, just waiting for the ground to appear to see how they perform in the spring.

When working in the woods I wear chaps, helmet with hearing protection, and a good pair of steel toe boots.  And, I bring along plenty of water.

Randy
Randy

SwampDonkey

Randy, yes. I have two kind. One just a rubber boot then other rubber on the feet and leather uppers. They are great for thinning and I would think they would be great for anyone on a log yard that is doing manual bucking. Once you get used to them you feel like a cat with your claws dug in. In thinning they are real great to have on. Ever walk across wet aspen poles with regular work boots? Your feet go in all directions and I don't care how good your boots are. A lot more sure footed with caulk boots on.

jpcj-7

Quote from: Dan_Marino on February 26, 2009, 09:45:58 AM
I log naked :D

I used to, now I wear Arborwear!

mad murdock

best jeans I have seen, wear like iron, their hickory shirts are the best also, http://prisonblues.com/products/1231111.htm
they really are made by inmates in the Pendleton Oregon state penitentiary.  Way tougher than carharts.  Baileys has a good line of logger boots, or the Hawthorne line by whites is hard to beat for a good boot also.  Outer wear," might as well have the best, " Filson.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Good Feller

This is what I wear:

"I log naked"... LOL we need more funny guys like that on the forestry forum...

military issued poly-pro long johns

wool socks

Carhart carpenter jeans

Hanes beefy pocket T-shirt

Long sleeved flannel shirt

Carhart insulated hooded jacket

Military issued neck gator  (If it's cold you can pull up over head/ears and still wear your helmet)  Hard to do that with a bulky wool stocking cap....

Swede pro chainsaw boots (Highly recommend) It takes a lot to impress me and these boots are nice!!!!

Chaps

Helmet with face guard removed (Can't see anything with those stupid things,,wear safety glasses instead)

Leather work gloves with wool inserts

Military issued army belt to hang wedge pouch, (4) 10" wedges, pliers, and logging tape.  I also hang a small sprayer on the back if I'm doing TSI.

AND don't forget your wedge knocker.... I like those 28" long 2 1/4 lbs boys axes you can get at Menards for like $15. 

Good Feller

stumphugger

I have heard of one guy who ran a yarder--naked.  :D Out here, we wear what you saw last season on Axemen.  Leather caulked boots in the summer, rubber ones in the winter.  In the winter I switch to tin pants, and polypro/fleece tops.  I get wet but it dries out fast, and I'll have clothes back in the pickup to change into.  Caulks are pronounced corks.  I don't know why.  Probably the same reason that some people pronounce wash warsh. 

Stephen Alford

Welcome stumphugger ,good thread idea redneck. Here we wear a bit of duck tape . Proffessional grade applied indoors to hold your cutter pants over your boots. If you stop taping at the front of your leg it is easier to get off with numb fingers. Seems to help tweek up the foot comfort when working in snow.  ;D
logon

SwampDonkey

Welcome aboard stumphugger. Ditto to the caulks pronounciation. I wear wool socks year round, even in the house. :D Some folks use over sized plastic bags inside the caulks, I don't but will use extra socks and/or a pair of Gortex socks inside. My toes hate caulk boots, not that they are sore, they turn my toe nails black. Whimpie toes I guess.  :'( :-[ :-X

beenthere

Quote..they turn my toenails black..

Dr. told me that was lack of blood circulation, and boots being too small. Don't know if that is true, but was told. Happened to me on an elk hunt, and now that toe has a deformed toenail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Beenthere mine fit perfect, I don't know what the answer is. I think it's from working sometimes on a side hill and your toes are slid forward in your boots. Anyway, I can't cut brush without caulks on, such is life.

Thank You Sponsors!